Clockwork Recovery for the Continuum

imnuts

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I fixed recovery for the Continuum users so that you have your own button mappings. It isn't integrated into the kernel yet, but I'm going to attempt to get that fully working (I have it partially working atm). Until that is fixed, you get the update.zip method for CWM. So, to accomplish this, you'll need to download two things. First, you need the update.zip file, which is placed on the root of the SDCard (/sdcard/update.zip) and the second item is the recovery kernel, which is flashed via Odin (v1.3).

Open Odin, click the PDA button and browse to and select the continuum_recovery.tar.md5 file that you downloaded. Remove the battery from your phone, and hold down the volume down button while plugging in the USB cable that is attached to your computer. Make sure you have the drivers installed, if not, you'll need to install them before you continue. Flash the file by clicking start if the phone is detected in Odin. Once it completes successfully, all you need to do is boot to recovery and apply sdcard/update.zip and you'll be in CWM. I decided upon black background with cyan text. This can still be changed if you wish, but I like it :p

Here are your button mappings:
Camera button/Grip sensor - Select Item (applies to cwm and stock recovery)
Volume Up/Down - Scroll up/down in the list (applies to cwm and stock recovery)
Power Button - Select Item
Menu Button - Does nothing
Home Button - Go Back
Back Button - Go Back
Search Button - Hide Text

I'm still trying to figure out how to get buttons to show up for the touchkeys. For now, they're blank, so just press in the approximate location on the screen for them. We may or may not be able to get buttons there at some point. Also, when you initially boot to recovery, there will be a message about update.zip being gone. Ignore the message as it seems to be a bug. As long as you copied the update.zip from this thread to your SDCard, you should be fine. Enjoy.

If you like my work, feel free to donate to me. Alternatively, sign up for Dropbox via my referral link ;) Also, remember that none of this would really be possible without the generosity of DroidXcon, so you could donate to him as well.

Download - CWM 2.5.x (no longer supported, for archive/recovery purposes only)

Last edited:

turner5770

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
for some reason the update.zip doesnt work i get the following error:E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory)
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted.
update.zip gone

I'm very familiar with cwmr i have a fascinate of my own and never had any issues. Odin flashed fine which i have redone this multiple times.

update: i got it finally thnx again. if you need anything tested for this phone let me know i have some free time pm me.

Last edited:

in50mn14c

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I keep having the same error:
E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory)
Installation aborted.
update.zip gone

I did an OTA update from verizon before any mods, did Samsung push some protection? Or is it the fact that there's 2 different sub-models for the I400?

imnuts

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I keep having the same error:
E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory)
Installation aborted.
update.zip gone

I did an OTA update from verizon before any mods, did Samsung push some protection? Or is it the fact that there's 2 different sub-models for the I400?

Is the update.zip file actually on the SDCard? If it is, is it named update.zip and not update.zip.zip? Also, did you flash this before or after the OTA update? If you flashed it before the OTA update, then you'll need to reflash before being able to use the update.zip again.

imnuts

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
New CWM update.zip file. Like we did for the Fascinate about a month or so ago, I'm going to try to get everything moved over the CWM 3.x and Edify Scripting. Here is a new update.zip file to be able to use the most up-to-date version of CWM. I'll also try to keep this file updated as Koush and the rest of the CM team update CWM.

Instructions
1. Download me
2. Rename file to update.zip and put it on the root of your SD Card, overwriting the previous update.zip
3. Boot to recovery and apply update.zip

I may give replacing stock recovery entirely again another shot as well, eliminating the need for the update.zip entirely, but no promises. Also note that nandroid backups made with the previous update.zip file will not work with this version of CWM. If you like having the nandroid backup available, redo your backups so you have them for the new CWM.

Reactions: bigcez74

macros

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

What am i doing wrong?

Moon Shadow - NM

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Frustrating. Okay. I have read plenty regarding the voodoo kernel update for the Continuum. I first flashed 0530_continuum_novoodoo and checked out the sound fixes that voodoo unlocks. All is cool, I downloaded the Voodoo Control from the Market. Next, after reading all the warnings and the recovery procedures, etc, I flashed the 0530_continuum_voodoo lagfix. Wow what a performance improvement! Next, I wanted to check to see if my Market still worked. Nope, would error out on downloading. Okay, no problem, I flashed the "recovery kernel" here, and on boot, the screen is still showing the messed up voodoo screen. I have confirmed "mount | grep ext" shows nothing, and confirmed "mount | grep fat" shows all file systems are vfat. However, I don't think the kernel recovery actually worked, because when I check the voodoo control app, it still allows me to adjust the sound settings, where as before the voodoo kernel, it said that voodoo control was not supported on my phone.

Right now, I would like to get back to a point where I can use the Market and Voodoo Sound fix as well. I would love to have the speed the the EXT4 fs gives us, but, as of right now, unless there is a work-around on the market thing, I will have to live without.

(BTW: I have an extensive background in Linux, as an admin, not a programmer. As long as I have the tools, I can compile stuff all day long, but to create or modify something is extremely painful and produces very limited results, for me and everyone else. :) )

imnuts, your assistance is requested. Unfortunately, I do not have access to irc at work, so that option is out.

Last note, the only thing on my phone that is "broken" is the Market. Everything else (at least everything that I have tested) still works. Visual voicemail, Business (exchange) email, personal email, gmail, etc. tia.

Last edited:

CaptainDoug

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
"Open Odin, click the PDA button and browse to and select the continuum_recovery.tar.md5 file that you downloaded".....

Where's the link to that?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12