Cyanogen and Samsung Galaxy S

gob0

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

i've a Samsung Galaxy S GT-i9000 (yes, so old) and it runs Gingerbread v2.3.4.

As the phone still works (no problem and battery has been replaced 6 months ago), i want to keep it (ecology & saving).
But Gingerbread is a bit (to be gentle) outdated and i want to update.

So i hesitate between 2 choices:
1- keep my phone in its current state
2- Try yo apply Cyanogen (which version?)

What's your opinion ?

Thx

Cyngn Ray

Official Cyanogen Support
Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

If you want to update, your only option (besides getting a new device) is to go to a custom ROM. I wonder if you're asking the wrong question. I wonder if you mean to say "I am a bit unsure about going custom, is it difficult?" The answer to that is "not if you read up on it." Here is a link to the wiki: https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Galaxysmtd_Info

Now, be advised, this device is currently on CM11, and more than likely will NOT be moving up past that. There is only so much you can do with outdated hardware. But from all reports, the builds for the device are functional and make the device work well. Good luck!

gob0

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for your message ;-)

for the "unsure side", i wonder if there is a way back if the update fails (**** happens, you know).
I know this phone has no commercial value (may be i can sell it for 10 or 20 bucks) but i'm using it and it's my only phone.
So, i'm a bit reticent to jump in an update process which will result in a unusable phone and force me to buy new one (i'm aware i won't keep it forever but the longer the best, no?).

CM11 is based on KitKat, it's far from the latest version but not as far as the "big bang aged" gingerbread :)

Cyngn Ray

Official Cyanogen Support
Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Totally understand. You can backup after installing a custom recovery to the device, or you can return to stock using ODIN if something is not to your liking. Honestly though, once you read up and understand the process, it becomes very easy indeed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar