Dell Streak 7 Charging port busted Woes. and FIX!

BlrChn

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
First of all thanks a lot for sharing this. I have been able to get my Dell Streak tablet to life with this. Earlier the original port that came with the tab was broken due to wear/tear, charging it was very difficult. It would charge only when the charging cable was connected partially and in a particular angle. After I read this, I went in for the 4 wire operation (!) and I have been able to get the 4 wires attached and put the device back. Since I am not so good with soldering, I tool the pictures from this forum to a mobile repair guy who was good enough to follow the instructions and help connect. So far so good!
Now, when he was putting the whole thing back after soldering, I had a bit of doubt lurking in my mind --- did he solder the green and white wires to the right spot ( I think I showed him clearly but since he was sitting at his work station I could not physically verify) and secondly, he did run into some issues when trying to put it all back, esp since he had removed the motherboard too with the screws and had to put it all back. He did put it all back and the final ribbon connectors were slightly troublesome but he managed to get them ( though I think on the widest one in the center, he had to shove and push a bit and I had a feeling that it may have not gone in fully and correctly). Anyway, when it was all put back, it looked good and was charging and also powered on ... and so I thought it was a good job done and came home.
Now I discovered an issue!!! --- while it charges well the tail that has been attached at the bottom with the USB port, works well, I am not able to get it to play any audio or video file. This includes any youtube video, songs, movie files etc. I tried few players from the Android PlayStore but none worked for playing the audio/video files. Also there is just NO sound!!! Not even through the headphones! So, I am left wondering what could be the issue. Can the ribbon connected not fully and properly seated cause such an issue. I am not able to find why. I then factory booted it .. put some update package which was suggested as some folks have encountered audio issues but that seems to be of unrelated cause.
I am not an expert but have some basic electronics understanding and am baffled. Otherwise anything which does not require playing video/online video or any audio .. the tablet works fine.
Any help/inputs will help. I can try to open it back and try to re-seat the ribbon cable if there is any suggestion that it may be cause but I wanted some guidance before opening it again!!
Thanks again!!

mcqueen rayo

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
hi...do you write en spanish....puede decirme alguien como va la coneccion de los pines son cuatro colores verde, rojo, negro y blanco entiendo que el rojo es corriente y el negro es tierra y donde voy a conectar eso pero los otros dos blanco y verde en donde

mcqueen rayo

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi do you wrte spanish....me puedes indicar en que lugar va cada uno de los cuatro colores entiendo el rojo y el negro pero el blanco y verde que son de datos donde los coloco

James Weigel

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
lamentablemente hemos perdido la foto y el cartel original parece haber abandonado el hilo, as? que no podemos decir d?nde conectar los dos cables. Sin embargo, si s?lo se necesita para cargar y no transferir datos a trav?s de cable que usted est? muy bien para conectar s?lo los cables de alimentaci?n

electronicsnut

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello, JohnnyPhantom. I would like a picture posted of the green and white wire solder points on back of the Dell Streak 7 Motherboard. If you could do this I would much appreciate it. Thank You.

electronicsnut

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have replied to the post about replacing the Dell Streak 7 charging power connector with a micro usb connector and ask that a picture be posted of the green + , and white- solder points on the back of the motherboard. I read your post and was wondering in you could shed light on where those solder points are located. I have everything ready to go soldered a micro usb breakout box glued in and just need to solder the green and white wire to the board. If you have a picture that would be appreciated.

dj_mix

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Guys thanks for ideas here my version of my Mod
Only problem I have is when power on an connected to PC it does show charging in Android but the charge light is lit.

When connected to ac charger and power on it shows charging in Android. Might need 1 more wire connected to enable charge status with PC. But I have it charging and detected by PC I'm happy.

Attachments

• usbmod.jpg
    usbmod.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 15
  • usbmod2.jpg
    usbmod2.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 41
  • usbmod3.jpg
    usbmod3.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 37
  • usbmod4.jpg
    usbmod4.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 11
  • usbmod5.jpg
    usbmod5.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 14

Mark Foley

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Interested in your step-by-step fix - my wife's Streak 7 won't charge because of the charging port issue inside the tablet and Dell says they no longer support it for repair. Thanks so much!

Mach GC

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Guys thanks for ideas here my version of my Mod
Only problem I have is when power on an connected to PC it does show charging in Android but the charge light is lit.

When connected to ac charger and power on it shows charging in Android. Might need 1 more wire connected to enable charge status with PC. But I have it charging and detected by PC I'm happy.

Hi bro, so, if i put thelittle cablesasi it in your pict, at the same ports, i'll be DATA AND CHARGING fully working? Got some troubles with the Green and white cable... Hpe youcan helpme..Thanx for you time

Mach GC

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi, bro i was reading you post and i get noticd that the picturewhere you show the thata conections is gonne, can you send it to me? You can send it to me by facebook "Mach GC" please my streak is dead because the bad connector...

Please help me!.. :'(

dpool7665

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Dj,

I have some q's about the pics you posted

is the negative wire you have coming off the microusb port soldered to the metal on the old pdmi port?
Is the positive wire soldered to just 1 pin or 2 pins on the micro usb port?
for the data transfer it looks like you might have used some single strand copper , and ran them to the white marks on the board which I assume are the solder points for the pdmi... are they connected to points 3 and 5?

any clarification would be great help .

khedr tesla

Mar 2, 2018
Visit site
Here is the front of the main boards PCB, the red wire is attached to one of the circle mount points to the right of the connectors port (either circle should be fine, both are positive and connect to pin 1 of the PDMI) the Black wire is attached to one of the grounding points of the connectors shield.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/530530_10151407605719374_857703659_n.jpg

On the back above the cutout for the connection port there are 2 more circle mount points. the left being for the Data - (green wire) and the right being for the Data + (White Wire)

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/481241_10151407605934374_1632313913_n.jpg

That's it for now, hope this helps. I'll be redoing this later tonight with the micro USB port (hope it fits, it should) and I'll try to get some better pictures.

Also sorry for the sloppy soldering job shown, I was just more or less in a rush, and knew I was coming back to the solder when the micro usb port arrived.

Also I make no guarantee about this, it's more or less do at your own risk. I can just say it worked for me ^-^ can't see why it shouldn't for you, but can't guarantee it
Plz photo plz help