YouTube app on Dell venue 8 7000

jrb7561

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
This tablet has a quad HD screen so in theory we should be able to watch 1080p and 1440p videos on YouTube. But the YouTube app will not allow me to stream above 720p. If I open YouTube from the browser (which is much more cumbersoms) I can access the higher resolutions. Anyone else experience this same behavior and found a solution? I just want to use the app the way I do on my LG G3 which let's me stream up to 1440p. It's a great way to show off the beautiful screen on this device.

Posted via Android Central App

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it's a very new tablet, so hopefully devs can step up and support this beast!

Posted via the Android Central App

Willy_P

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
According to an April 3rd post on the Dell Community Support Forums by DELL-Adriana P: "This appears to be an issue on our current KK image. It is resolved in the upcoming OTA to Lollipop."

Let's hope the OTA is still scheduled for April 21st and that it will be Version 5.1.

Willy_P

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, jrb7561, but when did you get the update? My version is 10.14.56 and it seems to be limited to a maximum resolution of 720p.

jrb7561

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Umm did you see who started this thread? Do you think I have nothing better to do than to troll my own thread? Don't be idiotic. Here are some screen shots.

As you can clearly see I have 1440p available and I'm running the same version of YouTube. Are you sure you're playing a video uploaded above 720p? Try looking up 4k video. Even though this is not a 4k screen, any video uploaded in 4k should give you access to 1080p and 1440p.

Attachments

• 3046.jpg
    3046.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 3047.jpg
    3047.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 29

Willy_P

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
As you can clearly see I have 1440p available and I'm running the same version of YouTube.
I have been working with computers since the 1960s and I have learned that anything is possible, but I can't figure out how you got resolutions about 720 (I probably have old timer's disease). I uninstalled and reinstalled the app updates, selected a video I know to be 4K, and here's what I get:

Venue7YouTube.jpg

jrb7561

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Wow that's odd. I know that Costa Rica video very well and I've played it several times on my Dell in 1440p. Originally it only loaded 720p and then magically last week I noticed I could access the higher resolutions. I don't remember doing anything special. Hmm trying to think what could be different? Could it be some kind of gradual rollout? But that doesn't make much sense. The same app version should work the same on every model. My Dell is still on kitkat like everyone else. How frustrating. Not going to lie, the difference in quality between 720p and 1440p is very noticeable.

jrb7561

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity but have you ever played youtube in the browser? Just for kicks try playing the 4k video in a browser and not the app. That for sure will play above 720p (I remember checking when I first got the device). Then go back and check the app. Other than that I don't remember doing anything out of the ordinary.