Question/advice from new owner, mostly sd related.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok so bear with me please. I am a fairly experienced android user but have always had enough internal memory in my devices to have never used an sd card.
So I realize I can't move everything to the sd card but I'm finding that even the few apps that do allow it don't actually seem to be moving. Or if they are, there is no apparent change in the card or internal space.

What format should the card be formatted?
Any other memory management tips?
How do I set the camera etc.(and anything else possible) to automatically save to SD?
Is there a way to default to apps downloading to SD card if allowed by developers?

Sd card is a sandisk ultra plus 32GB and the venue is on 5.0.2. I don't plan to root.

Thanks for any help!!

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Ok so bear with me please. I am a fairly experienced android user but have always had enough internal memory in my devices to have never used an sd card.
So I realize I can't move everything to the sd card but I'm finding that even the few apps that do allow it don't actually seem to be moving. Or if they are, there is no apparent change in the card or internal space.

What format should the card be formatted?
Any other memory management tips?
How do I set the camera etc.(and anything else possible) to automatically save to SD?
Is there a way to default to apps downloading to SD card if allowed by developers?

Sd card is a sandisk ultra plus 32GB and the venue is on 5.0.2. I don't plan to root.

Thanks for any help!!

Are you going into each app. and requesting it moves to the SD card?

Usually, if an app. is, say 50mb, moving it to the SD card won't move it all, but a portion, and (and I don't know why), it makes the overall app size bigger - at least that's been my experience, like it can't compress the data on the SD card in the same way it would on the phone memory. Others may be able to offer a better explanation. But to really notice the difference you;d have to move quite a number of apps, or at least some bigger ones, to really notice the difference.

So far defaulting the camera to save to SD, when you open the camera there should be a settings menu (it might be a small cog, or similar). Usually the option to save to phone/SD is there.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. I've been going into each app in settings/apps and moving to SD where I can. But most of the time it's greyed out, and if it is available it seems to move a miniscule amount. But it does sometimes seem to change the app sizes. Almost appears to be taking up MORE room on internal.

Still can't find where to default pictures to SD. There doesn't seem to be any storage related setting in the camera app.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Still can't find where to default pictures to SD. There doesn't seem to be any storage related setting in the camera app.

Is there a circle icon above the on-screen shutter-button? If you press that, does a settings icon come up on the screen?

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't have my tablet with me right now, but yes there is. It seems to only switch between modes, single, multi shot, video, 3d etc. The cog(settings) at the bottom left of the camera screen has a few options for camera function, timer, etc, but nothing for storage. Weird. I assume I am missing something somewhere.