Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question QUESTION: Which is the best way to promote and boost apps?

Hi all,

I know that most of developers are searching to be the next "Flappy Birds" in the Play Store, but this means that:
    a: The users love your game/app
    or
    b: You developed a good promotion strategy.

Now my question is: which is the "secret" to get users and users for an app or game? I mean, sometimes I'm surfing the Play Store and I find a lot of games/apps with no sense (bad graphics, I download them and crashes, not entertaining, etc) that have between 100.000 - 500.000 or 500.000 - 1.000.000 downloads. Are they fake? How they got those users?

Any ideas?

I know that probably an app needs time and some strategic movements like posting on forums like this one, send whatsapps or emails to our friends, posting on Twitter, etc. but, are there more options that most of us never heard it before? How do you promote normally yoir apps?

Thanks!

Default Re: QUESTION: Which is the best way to promote and boost apps?

Now my question is: which is the "secret" to get users and users for an app or game? I mean, sometimes I'm surfing the Play Store and I find a lot of games/apps with no sense (bad graphics, I download them and crashes, not entertaining, etc) that have between 100.000 - 500.000 or 500.000 - 1.000.000 downloads. Are they fake? How they got those users?
    I think in a lot of these weird cases it comes down to who was first to market. They might be apps that have been in the Play Store for several years, starting from when they had few competitors. Even if the date shown in the Play Store is recent, that's only the most recent update. Google them and they might be several years old.
    Last edited by Samgak Software; 08-14-2014 at 06:48 PM.

Share your tips devs.. I just released my unity3d game Hyper Cell and looking for ways to promote it.

Sometimes I think that I'm doomed to obscurity. My approach is to try to do a little promotion every week, be patient, and hope to build a customer base over time. I suppose the alternative is to spend money advertising. I was looking at Danglingneuron's website, and tend to agree that it helps to begin with a free app, then encourage either an upgrade, or in-app purchases.

Just a thought
    Jeff

Yes, my games do well on windows phone. Maybe the reason being,

1. windows phone is at 300,000 apps (1/3rd of android apps)
    2. I have released 6 games there so I have a fanbase
    3. windows dev community is great at supporting each other
    4. promotional programs are available even for small / indie devs like me
    5. Over 2 years I have made some contacts that help as well (review sites etc)

Compare that to android and I am at zero on each front. My game Hyper Cell is at 14000 downloads in 16 days on WP. on Android its barely at 50 in 5 days. Lets see....

I find this hard as well, especially as I don't really have any money to do any paid promotion.
    I just published a new game today and I have no idea how it is going to perform. My first main game I published, 1 year ago and it has since acquired almost 50k downloads, but really slowly...
    The main issue is probably just how many apps there are out there, if noone playing your apps leaves a review or shares it with a friend noone else is going to see your app. With things like flappy bird, people shared it with friends, they shared it some more, and then it was massive. A matter of luck probably, and making sure your game has something worth sharing..

A big problem is that on Android new apps aren't pushed to the front.
    On the Apple AppStore you are on front for a short time and you get a small chance to reach the break even point.

I made the experience that these things are very important:
    1. Good title
    2. Nice logo
    3. Good app description with many keywords
    4. Nice feature graphic

I read about the success of flappy bird and the developer said he used download bots. This really makes me feel sad because this can't be the right way...
    I also tested some ad networks to promote the app and some review sites.
    Sometimes I really would have had more fun burning my money than using these methods...

I'm really interested in good marketing strategies so keep going.

Didn't know that download bots were used for flappy bird, it feels like cheating to me. I just knew that for the first 4 -6 months the app got completely ignored and then it started being downloaded more and more.

These posts are very helpful, thank guys ... I feel that my application is now at a standstill, no new installations etc ... but I have learned and I will do differently next time

Quote Originally Posted by sekip View Post
    These posts are very helpful, thank guys ... I feel that my application is now at a standstill, no new installations etc ... but I have learned and I will do differently next time
    Can I ask you how long ago did you released your app? Did you advertised it in any way? How many installs did you got the way you did it? I'm publishing apps too and I think that hearing other people experience with their app is a good way to learn myself how to not make errors in the future.

not long only few weeks ... but i am worked on app myself and i did some mistakes ... it was my first app and I wanted to have it finished soon ... I donĀ“t have the money to promote so i try the various forums and portals ... now i have 120+ installs but still working on it ... I got my lesson, so I hope the next app will be better

Hi, could you please provide those sites that you used to promote your apps? I'm also in need of those sites but I only know a few, google doesn't help much. Thank you!

I'm in the same boat as a new Android developer. Definitely interested in other people's experiences.

The main method of promoting apps is probably paid advertising, but if you don't want to do that, posting up videos on YouTube works well too - it shows the experience of your game for people to see. Especially when some famous YouTuber plays your game, that would probably be the best advertising XD
    itx

Agree with danglingneuron - googleplay not friendly for indie developers ;-(