Lessons In Experimenting

anon(9983233)

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I've sent the word you to a number of companies who deal with wifi, cell and other communications in an effort to locate or have them create an alternative device/app which will allows users to voice chat like that of a CB radio or walkie talkie. The issue with these types of apps today, is that all of those I've located use either a wifi or cell signal connection.

The issue with the creation of this system is that the developers of these apps simply use the closest and cheapest means available to them in order to get these apps on the market. Basically and without dialing a number you simply press an on screen button and connect with those whom you've allows into your groups or contacts.

This all fine and dandy, except.. it uses a wifi or cell signal.. and what about those (like myself) who are limited to not much of a wifi or cell signal in order to use these apps. Thus the search for something new and different. A means to which I can connect to a voice chat server without the use of wifi or cell signals. Short of transforming my smart phone into a satellite smart phone isn't off the table.. just very expensive.

So what are the other alternatives.. I located a travel companion which is used as a GPS but also allows tacking of hikers within small groups.. I asked the developers of this device if they would incorporate a voice option on a separate system or server. Possible using a CB type frequency?..

If one has a smart phone, then one should be able to tap into a verity of options or chose which would allow the user to explore different areas and ideas. Incorporating new things just to test the limits of what this "smart device" can really do. In other words, don't be fooled when something says its a walkie talkie when all it's doing is bypassing a few key strokes to connect with someone via a wifi or cell signal..

I look forward to posting any update on this search of mine in the near future.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately such a thing would require a different kind of radio transmitter/receiver. And that means pretty much adding walkie-talkie-like radios to a phone, and that would make it definitely bigger.

The application you're looking for is simply too 'niche' to become mainstream in PHONES. They're just not meant for that. Walkie talkies, CB radios, etc. are. I can see how a GPS tracker company could add something like this, but that would mean that everyone in your party would have to have the same kind of equipment and it would definitely add on to the cost of each device. In any case, that kind of communication would have to be device-to-device only, unless someone would shell out the VERY sizable investment to make a network with a totally different technology and frequencies (which are costly since they're limited) than current cell phone towers.

The closest thing you could achieve to this with a current phone would be voice over BlueTooth or WiFi Direct, but as you might expect, those would be limited in range.