SLCD, SAMOLED, Pentile, RGB Does it matter?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

DrummerBens

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Behold The Samsung Galaxy S4. With a Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M color and a resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.0 inches (~441 ppi pixel density)
Oh when will they come out with a Super AMOLED+ HD screen. It's 2013 Come on! I'll have to research it. It's been a year since this post. :) :D

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Behold The Samsung Galaxy S4. With a Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M color and a resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.0 inches (~441 ppi pixel density)
Oh when will they come out with a Super AMOLED+ HD screen. It's 2013 Come on! I'll have to research it. It's been a year since this post. :) :D
Nobody knows.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Thin is over rated, and always comes at the expense of battery capacity.

Give me a couple more millimeters of battery please.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

lee_michael_f92

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I prefer the Samsung amoled screens on android phones. It just "wows" people when they see the vibrant colors. But I prefer the retina displays on the iPhone 4s/5.

Sent from where the wild things are.

stalemate1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
For me it would only matter if I'm choosing a CRT (massive, fat tv screen) or a chronographic screen (if I don't have the name wrong its the screen you see on scientific calculators and old old phones)

Though I'd prefer to stay away from OLED, they tend to leave image burns or ghost images on white.

aikonriche

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
AMOLEDs have better colors, contrast and all but the whites are putting me off. It's either they're inaccurate (bluish, pinkish) or just plain dirty (yellowish, brownish). So I prefer IPS LCD.

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I had 2 HTC Desires a few years ago, my first one was AMOLED and I gave that to my father and got a second Desire, second one turned out to have SLCD (and that was when HTC ran out of AMOLED displays in their batch), I recognized the difference immediately- AMOLED seems to have a more white than SLCD. The SLCD's white seems like a cream color. The Optimus LTE was IPS (same as iPad 1st and 2nd gen) and HTC One X was SLCD then going to the Moto X which is AMOLED I couldn't believe the difference, with AMOLED, if I'm reading something on the browser then I look up at the TV or computer screen, everything looks orange or pink for a few seconds and that didn't happen with SLCD or IPS.

jinyjo2

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
hello wellcome to this forum I recently read an ad HTC has comparing the SAMOLED screen and the SLCD2 screen of the One X. They included a picture of the One X screens ability to actually produce the color white.
--------------------
TIPS FOR LOGO DESIGN

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I think, like others have said, the white is what tells the screens apart. With the super high resolution screens that are being used, pentile is no longer the huge issue it used to be, especially with samsung going to the diamond layout of pixels. Now do many wish pentile in general would go away? I am sure they do, but for now and with the 2k rumored displays for this years devices, I think the white balance of SAMOLED is what needs to be fixed and then it won't be such a low point for those screens.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Back when this post was started three years ago, I used to prefer LCD. But now both technologies have improved so much, that both look great. All the high end screens have converged to great displays.

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
The color on the samsung devices are over saturated, i have compared them with the iphones (that have excellent screen with excellent color) and its a huge diference. Nokia phones have better colors too, more closed than iphones.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
The color on the samsung devices are over saturated, i have compared them with the iphones (that have excellent screen with excellent color) and its a huge diference. Nokia phones have better colors too, more closed than iphones.
Just depends on what you like. Some people LOVE the over saturated amoled displays that Samsung uses. :)

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

There is a setting on samsung phones that let's you change the color saturation

Daniel Ryslink

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I have just "upgraded" from Samsung Galaxy S2 (800x480 non-Pentile Super Amoled Plus) to Samsung Galaxy S5 Plus (1920x1080 Pentile Super Amoled), and I am grossly disappointment with the display. The phone itself is very nice and I am keeping it, Snapdragon 805 with Adreno 420 with only FullHD Res makes everything render very fast, but compared to the old SGS2 display, I have these issues:

- Grainy colors, especially shades of pink, cyan, purple. Not surprising if you realize that a picture without green color whatsoever renders on half the nominal resolution, and that is 960x540!)
- Noticeable color shift with viewing angles, also not present on SGS2. Head on there is a yellowish tint all over the display that disappears even with small angle.
- Visible errors on greyscale, pinkish shades of grey
- Picture quality drop in low brightness conditions - more grainy, dirty colors.

Basically, the viewing angles color shift and "dithered" quality of certain colors remind me of the cheap old TN LCD panels.

Obviously, in an attempt to reduce costs and prolong the life of the troubled blue subpixels, samsung have gutted the promising Amoled technology by removing one third of the subpixels and pretending "it's okay". It's not okay, a pentile display of the same nominal resolution as RGB stripe display has noticeably lower rendering quality. I consider this practice dishonest and deceptive, since only resolution, not matrix type is stated in specs.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo