How can I get an HDMI Output to to portrait mounted screens?

franciskim

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I have been searching high and low for a way for Android to output via HDMI to a portrait mounted/rotated screen. I have found a few people who've asked the same question in the past - but no threads have real answers.

Back in the days of Galaxy Nexus, there was no 'exploded portrait' where Android just assumes your screen is horizontal/landscape.

The reason is that I have a few retail clients who already have portrait mounted screens (that you see around shopping malls all the time) and I just can't seem to be able to find an Android OS / Driver setting or an Android HDMI stick that already does this. Can anyone help me out here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: HDMI Output to Portrait Screens

Let's clear things up a little, okay?

Is it that you want the screen to display in portrait mode on a screen that's mounted vertically (long side vertical), or is it that you don't?

The screen is going to display as if it were in landscape mode, regardless of how you mount it - it has no "down" sensor. So a cellphone in portrait mode will display a horizontal screen across the middle third (vertically) of the screen. To display in portrait mode, you need a display designed to display that way (9:16, not 16:9). That screen won't work when mounted normally (horizontally), it'll display sideways, the way normal TVx do when mounted in portrait mode (vertically).

franciskim

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site

This is what happens:
exploded-portrait.png

This is what I'm after:
real-portrait.png

It is not sensor based, but my app has calls to rotate the screen. The Android OS as I understand has 4 display modes:

• landscape-primary
  • landscape-secondary
  • portrait-primary
  • portrait-secondary

Each of these would represent 0°, 90°, 180°, 270° rotation and it works fine obviously on a mobile or tablet - but via an HDMI output it does not seem to work. It used to work on the older Android OS on certain devices, so I am assuming this is a driver/Android setting.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Sorry for the VERY late response, but the first one is what you get. You'd need an external converter to get the second one. It's not a setting, it's the way Android is written. (We also used to have USB Storage mode and a few other things. Sometimes, one man's progress is another man's regress.)

nokcha

Mar 16, 2018
Visit site
Re: How canI get an HDMI Output to to portrait mounted screens?

You will never be able to do this without rooting your phone. You'll need to edit build.prop