What kind of GPS teardrop is this?

Curious123

May 21, 2015
Visit site
It looks just like your average gps teardrop, only wider with a larger hole in the center. Is this a mock location GPS?

Thanks!

whatkindofteardrop.jpg

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone? Is that appearing in the upper right or upper left of the status bar? Upper right is reserved primarily for system icons, while the upper left represents app notifications (both system and 3rd party)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Swipe the notification panel down--is there a corresponding notification?

You don't know which device you have? Is it a no-name generic straight-from-China phone? Go to Settings>About Phone​ and look at the Model Number.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
One of my colleagues pointed out that her Samsung phone actually shows the GPS indicator on the upper left, not the upper right. If it's truly the GPS indicator, it should be appearing and disappearing on its own, since the GPS radio is only intermittently turned on (when apps need it). If it's persisting until you clear it, then it's an app notification.

The Samsung GPS icon is a little different from the stock Android one--the inner circle is bigger on the Samsung icon.

When you say it's a "3," do you mean it's on the 3 wireless carrier in the UK? Or is it a Galaxy S3, or Note 3?

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Probably Samsung. Here is what it looks like on my s6. The circle in the middle does blink on and off.

uploadfromtaptalk1432251971969.png

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

Curious123

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Also, its getting my location wrong, is it some how picking up cell phone towers vs my actual location? I just don't get it. Trying to figure out what's going on with it. Do some apps have a mock gps without notifying you? Could my phone have a virus?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The location can use cell GPS, WiFi and GPS or cell, WiFi and GPS.

What do you mean using mock gps? Is this the first time you have ever noticed the location on your device?

Curious123

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I got a new phone and it is different from my previous is all. But I am noticing that it is pinging me in places im not at vs where I actually am. Thats what is confusing me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Location. Is it set to High Accuracy, Battery Saving, or Device Only? Try setting it to High Accuracy.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well battery saving estimates your location using WiFi and GPS, I think. They changed it to power saving mode in the newer Samsung phones.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Battery Saving or Power Saving location mode uses wi-fi and cell towers to estimate your location. It's not as accurate as High Accuracy, which uses GPS, wi-fi, and cell towers. Battery Saving mode might be off by up to 500 meters or so, maybe even more, depending on the concentration of cell towers in your area.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Battery Saving or Power Saving location mode uses wi-fi and cell towers to estimate your location. It's not as accurate as High Accuracy, which uses GPS, wi-fi, and cell towers. Battery Saving mode might be off by up to 500 meters or so, maybe even more, depending on the concentration of cell towers in your area.
Oh that is what I meant, WiFi and cell towers. I even looked at mine before posting that lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC