How common dead pixels are? How can I fix them?

Drake911

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys!
So, I bought a Huawei P8 Lite 2017 about 2 weeks ago. Today, while I was playing, the sun shined through my window onto my screen in a certain angle and I noticed a white dot. I tried to scrub it, thinking it was dust/dirt, but it didn't come off. I tried glass cleaner cloth and micro fiber, cleared my screen perfectly, but that one dot won't go away. Then I checked whether it was on the inside of the glass, or a dead pixel, and sure enough, when I turned the screen full bright white, that spot has a tiny black spot. Its really small, and can only be seen when watched perfectly perpendicular. Funny enough, it looks like a white dot, when the screen is dark, some light source shines on it, and you look at an angle. Unfortunately Huawei won't replace it until 3 dead pixels. I tried one of these "Dead pixel fixer" apps, all they do is flash colors really fast. How is that supposed to fix it? Is it possible that it fixes itself overnight? :)

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi Drake911!

You are definitely on the right track! Dead pixels can be tricky, and are sometimes hard to cure. Which app did you try? When you use a dead pixel detector app you really should be leaving on for an extended period of time (minimum of 20 minutes, but I've done it overnight before on a PC). It truly is hit or miss.

Try this app (if you haven't already) and just hit the fix button when you open the app (it defaults to 30 minutes of repair time which is good):

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tc.chris.blackspotdetect&hl=en&token=jF3DuflT

The other method you can try is a little more "risky." I'd suggest using a stylus with a soft touch point on it. You obviously know where the dead pixel is located. Turn your screen off, and apply moderate pressure using the soft point of the stylus exactly where the dead pixel is located for roughly 10 seconds. Careful not to press too hard as you can cause additional dead pixels or damage to your device. Use your best judgement on pressure! If you feel like you may be hurting the phone don't take it too far. Do this several times, and then try the app fix once more.

BayK

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Dead pixel is a hardware issue, you can't cure it with software.
It is hard to say how common this problem is, because people usually are not noticing them.
Usually warranty will work if there are 2-4 dead pixels. One pixel is not a reason for warranty. I guess it happens pretty often.