1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default to root or not to root

That is my question. I have had my Droid 2 for about a year now, and after another year will probably upgrade to a new phone. Depends on what's out there, the approaching Bionic looks good, but in a year, there might be something better.

anyway, i have tried to look for what the benefits are to rooting. Other then total customization and being able to remove bloatware, i haven't been able to find any good descriptions. I have mine so it works for me now, but do realize i probably could do more if i root.

Just looking for thoughts and opinions.
    Thanks.

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

Default Re: to root or not to root

I have had my D2 a year now and it has been rooted the entire time. What benefits have I received? None that I know about, because I have never tried a different ROM. It is good to be rooted so you can back up your phone with D2 bootstrapper, use Titanium back up to freeze bloat (even that is questionable as to the results, I can not tell any difference between having it frozen or working), and there are several other apps you can use if you want to tinker around with your memory etc. Some people like to use apps that speed up the processor, called overclocking the phone, and many other tasks.

Bottom line if you are not really tech savvy, leave the phone the way it is, Unrooted.

I've enjoyed my Droid 2 a lot more since rooting and moving to a Gingerbread with bloat freezer. In particular, my battery life seems a lot better, but I don't know how much of that to attribute to the freezer and how much to attribute to Gingerbread.

Since it looks like an official Gingerbread release is finally on its way, and you've made it this far, you might as well just wait until the update is out. Once the update hits, you can decide how much you want that bloatware freezer.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks guys for the input.
    I do believe I'll wait for the update. I've seen in the past few days that it's on its way. I probably will root after. I like the customizing ability of it. I've seen some screen shots of phones and like what i've seen, changing the status bar, having switches for bluetooth, wifi, etc in there, things like that. And stop the bloatware from running. Doing it may help me decide whether to root the next phone I get in a year.

As for being tech savy, I'd say I'm average, I did build my last computer at the start of this year. Anyway, I'll probably research plenty of options before I do anything.

Thanks again
    dtiger

There's two things with people that aren't sure if they wanna root..if you wanna mod things and run your phone differently then yes..and if you're not sure if you want to, you probably don't wanna mess with it

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Droid X2 - Rooted - Stock Clock - Minimal X
    If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.