Newbie Q...I tried and can't find it.

double_0_7

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I apologize if this is redundant, but I looked everywhere for an answer and can't find one. Maybe my question is so basic and obvious to everyone else that nobody ever bothered to ask.

I just bought my Droid 2 on Ebay about a month ago to replace a Palm that was dying. Still miss WebOS, lol, but love the new phone.

I rooted my phone. I'm at droid 2, Android version 2.3.3...

I've had stuff like this on older phones before(my palm was overclocked, using info I found at precentral.net), but they never had what are called 'roms'...My palm seemed so much simpler.

What are ROMs as they are referred to for rooting? Do they all do the same things, with a few changes between the few?

Can anyone point me to a list of some of the more popular ones?

Has anyone ever done anything that allowed the bluetooth profiles to be played with? I'd love to listen to Stitcher through my regular mono BT headset...

My main thing is free wifi hotspot to replace what I lost at verizon by giving up my palm, but the BT thing would be great too, and I never know what else is out there that I never even thought about...

Sorry for the dumb questions. So many places say, "root your phone. Install a ROM like (insert name here)"...without ever saying what they are. I'm sure they are programs of some sort, but every single place I've looked seems to assume you already know a layman's description of what they are.

hyminameisderek

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
If you download Clockworkmod Rom Manager it has a small list of ROM's for your device. I actually just rooted and installed a CM7 Nightly build, I didn't see a whole lot of options for Droid 2 that seemed worth while...

I believe there may be some other ROM Managers in the market that have a compiled list, but there are bound to be more out there not on the list

anon(627628)

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
If you download the Revnumbers version of cm7, you'll have a daily version of CM that's candidate worthy.
If you want to dabble with an ICS rom, there's a D2G port of a Defy version of Miui called Galnet. It's over @ Rootzwiki.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463