SBF & Root 2.3.4/ 4.5.629 (D2G a956) with Magic MD5

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
go to https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gt5ufld_fajqA0fqRK_ed3sB_-PWtF82vLsXce5BTnE/edit
for current links

motorola system versions 4.5.62X, can now be rooted with
[ROOT] Framaroot, a one-click .APK to root
[Video] ?Super Easy Droid X, Droid 2 Rooting app?
I have verified it works with these Motorola devices running android 2.3.4
Droid 2 (a955), Droid 2 Global (a956), R2D2 (a957), & Droid X (MB810)

two options

ezSBF & Root CD
Muli-device root CD
D2, R2D2, D2G, DX and DX2[/URL]

bhigham /bhigham /beh modified root method based on New root method for stock 2.3.4 (621/622) found (Droid2, R2D2)

How this works
Originally Posted by phifc
There's an exploit in loadpreinstall.sh. It compares md5 sum files of preinstalled apps and if they're different, copies the md5 to the local cache. The preinstall just has an empty file in app/ so it will parse the md5 for it. Instead of an md5 sum, it contains a local.prop that allows adb root shell. So the system thinks it's copying the md5sum to the cache when it bounces off the symlink and overwrites the /data/local.prop, giving adb root on next reboot

Originally Posted by beh
I have assembled a rooting CD for Droid 2 Global phones that have taken the .629 update.
I got the info on how to do this from phifc's post at
http://rootzwiki.com...nd-droid2-r2d2/
so all credit for this method go to phifc, djrbliss, and the others who developed the method.
I have simply taken the method, and assembled the tools for the Droid 2 Global.
Credit for the idea behind the CD method should go to 1KDS, as I have mostly patterned this CD after his method.
Credit should also go to Skrilax_CZ, as without his Motorola Android Firmware (De)packer, we wouldn't be able to have a CD under 50 meg.
I have tested this CD on my phone, and found it to work properly, but I can't guarantee that it will work for others. Others have also found it to work, but I can't guarantee you will have the same results.
You are welcome to try it, and I hope it is helpful to someone, but as with all modifications, you do so at your own risk.

Instructions for using this CD.
Download and burn this image file to CD. (or create bootable USB)
It might be a good idea to do a factory reset before starting this process, but you might be ok without it. My phone had already been rooted, so I had to sbf it back to stock, in order to test the CD, so I have only tried it after a factory reset.

1 Enable USB debugging on the phone,
2 Boot computer off of this CD
3 Hook up phone to computer (phone needs to be on at this point)
4 Start the root process by selecting option 1
5 When it says on the screen that phone needs placed in bootloader, (almost right away, as it only needs to send 1 command before placing in bootloader) power off the phone, and put it in bootloader by holding the up arrow on the keyboard of the phone while powering on.
6 when in bootloader and hooked up to the phone, press enter on the computer to proceed, a preinstall image will be flashed to the phone, providing the exploit that will root the phone.
7 When it has flashed, the phone should reboot. If it hangs when booting, unplug phone, remove battery, replace battery and power back on. When powered on, hook up cable again, and the process will continue (it will immediately reboot again)
8 When the phone reboots, ADB should be root, so it will push the necessary files to the phone, and reboot the phone again. Per Morlok8k, cache should be wiped to avoid bootloop problems, so the phone will be rebooted into Recovery.
9 You will have to press both volume buttons to enter recovery, where you should wipe cache partition and reboot.
If all went well, your phone should be rooted.
If you try it, please verify if it works for you, or gives you trouble.
Hope this helps someone.

I updated the CD (mainly just made it a bit smaller) and uploaded it to Mediafire
http://www.mediafire...394ha4dzjtyqpqb
I also uploaded it to rapidshare,
https://rapidshare.c..._CD-updated.iso
the md5 for the updated CD is
84ff5a572e98c3eb366cc6fec13f99d5
I also previously forgot to mention that this method works fine off a bootable usb drive, a CD is not necessary. I use Unetbootin to create the bootable usb, and it works well for me.
Update:
I went ahead and put together an EzSbf style CD that contains both the full .629 sbf, as well as the root option.
I tested it out on my phone, and it appears to work fine. However, if you don't have over 1 GB of RAM, it will be necessary to reboot the computer between flashing 629, and rooting the phone. The reason for this is that the CD loads into RAM, and the SBF file unzips to around 600 Meg, and the preinstall to close to 300. So, they can't be both unzipped at once. I tried the idea of having the script rezip the sbf after flashing it, but it took longer than rebooting the computer. If you run this with under a GB of RAM, the computer will not be able to unzip the SBF, and will crash the script, without giving error messages, as when the command fails, it will try to advance.
All that to say, if someone wants the CD for recovery and root, here it is.
https://rapidshare.c...-and-RootCD.iso
md5 is
579d7d5095fc2560205033456db150a2
also multi device slitaz boot image
Droid2_D2G_DX_DX2-RootCD-2012.iso

has options for D2, D2G, DX, and DX2
burn to cd with imgburn, or flash drive use UNetBootin for Windows

if you have a Mac
try How to burn an .iso on mac
and Boot your Mac from CD, DVD, external drive, or USB flash drive

more info
Magic MD5 Root 2.3.4 for D2, R2D2, D2G, DX and 2.3.5 for DX2 - Google Docs

Links to FAQs, SBF, ROMs, Guides... - Google Docs

Last edited:

HeavenlyModz

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I am trying to root my Droid2 Global A956 Rooted so I can unlock the baseband to work with TMobile. I tried the disk and it flashed somethings with no errors in the bootloader area then it rebooted the phone to continue with the root and then I got errors and it did not root. here is a pic of the errors. Thank you in advance for your help.

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
verify you did these steps

turn phone on, connect to pc with usb cable

on phone check usb debugging (settings/apps/development)

on phone select charge only usb mode (pull down usb options from top info bar)

on pc press continue
program will use adb to push
Code:
data/local.prop /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5
program will prompt you to
reboot phone to bootloader, To put your D2G(/D2) in bootloader mode, power down and power on while either holding both volume buttons, or the up arrow on the keyboard.
program will flash files (less than 50mb)
program will reboot phone twice, very important (reboot just replaces the local.prop, but the old local.prop is still in memory, till second reboot)
after 2nd reboot to normal os (not bootloader or recovery)
adb pushes su,superuser, and busybox
program will reboot to recovery,
manually press both volume buttons when you see !, triangle, & android andy
manually select wipe cache
manually select reboot
rooted

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
if you follow those steps and still doesn't work
try
disconnecting any usb devices, except keyboard, and usb drive( if you are running program from it)

verify md5 of original file

or

HeavenlyModz

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your help. Unfortunately it didnt work for me. I ended up trying this:
Unbrick or 629 root just follow the steps below
1.Use RSD to flash offical 608 sbf(dont worry about downgrade,it will unbrick after the next step)
2.Use RSD to flash this repacked 629 sbf(it will flash 629 BL=2 signed boot,recovery,cdt)
3.reboot to recovery,wipe data&cache(Not required if you have important data in it,but if you stuck at bootanimation loop then you have to wipe it)
4.use superoneclick to grant root access(or any zergrush script)
5.install otarootkeeper(can be found in play store,it's free),backup su,then unroot
6.reboot to recovery,reapply 629 OTA update.zip,reboot.(thanks silver6054 for the ota zip link)
Code:
How to boot recovery&apply zip update:
1.Press X + Power and hold to power up the phone(if your phone is on,power off first),release until you see the recovery
2.Press Vol up&down at the same time to unlock the bootmenu
3.Choose the moto-signed OTA zip file and apply the update
4.reboot
7.open otarootkeeper,restore su

Then it's done.

It worked and I was able to get both my A956 D2G Phones rooted so I could unlock the baseband. Now I am just waiting for an Unlock code for 1 of my phones. The Unlock code I got for 1 didnt work and my wifes phone unlocked with her Unlock code she got with no probs. Thank you again for your help.

HeavenlyModz

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
That sucks. cellunlockerpro.com just refunded my money and said they cant unlock it. Is there any other people that may be able to unlock it or is it a lost cause?

**EDIT**
If it is a lost cause I will just flash this to Cricket I guess and see if I can sell it. Let me know if I should spend anymore time with it in your opinion.

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie