Easy Way To Root Droid 2 For Free Wifi Tethering

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't find this on droid2 forums. To root your Droid 2, go here:

How To Root The Motorola Droid 2 ( Droid2 Rooting Guide For Windows / Mac ) – - SoftSailor

If you follow those directions its really simple. No need to enter in countless lines on a black dos prompt screen.

After that, get on your Droid2, search for android wifi tethering, click downloads, and install the first one. (Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code)

Pretty straightforward and simple. Not sure as to why most of my friends say the droid2 can't be rooted therefor can't support free wifi tethering...

ishore99

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
At this point I am waiting for the new Droid Pro. How important will "rooting" be for me? I am a BB user for years but leaving for what I consider the better equipment.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Droid pro isn't really all that great spec wise. I like how the phone looks but I think holding out for the htc merge would be a wiser decision. I came from a blackberry tour, rooting the phone by way of the above method was simple. You gotta root the device so it can run applications outside of marketplace app store, like the wifi tether...unless u get the htc incredible which vzw decided to include free wifi on that device for some reason...

lintmail

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried this method yet? Does it really work quick and easy?

This looks like the same 1-click root process on XDA-developers. I used that and it worked. Just make sure you read all the directions.

Works fine. I renamed a bunch of Motoblur apps so they no longer run and got wireless tethering. Minor improvement in speed but nothing to write home about. I do get some occassional random Force closes and reboots, as a result, but nothing alarming. Not sure it's really worth rooting. I'm a little scared to tinker bc I finally got my corporate sync to work and I don't want to screw that up. (It had stopped working for 1 week and life sucked.)

I haven't tried any ROMs but that's going to come soon. Also, be sure to use bootstrap recovery and make a nandroid backup before playing around with any files.

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Droid pro isn't really all that great spec wise. I like how the phone looks but I think holding out for the htc merge would be a wiser decision. I came from a blackberry tour, rooting the phone by way of the above method was simple. You gotta root the device so it can run applications outside of marketplace app store, like the wifi tether...unless u get the htc incredible which vzw decided to include free wifi on that device for some reason...
Plenty of root apps are in the marketplace, like shootme, adfree, and wifitether. and the tethering feature on the Incredible is accessible through hidden menus. If Verizon intended on it to be free, they would have given you an on/off button for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87