Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default root?

Ok guys. I have read the root stickys and I understand the process and everything. I have a droid 2 and I would just like a clean cut, point and shoot explanation of how I would benefit from rooting my phone. I know it gives greater access and such, but what are some specific advantages for this phone. Thanks for the info in advance.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

With root you can remove unwanted applications that came with your phone. You can us different kernels and over or under clock them to speed up or conserve battery. The best part is running custom Roms and the themes to change the look and feel of your phone. This is pointing out a few of the benefits there are many more.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

thanks for the reply. I just got done reading the sticky here on roms and rooting and everyone was talking about stuff not working right afterwards, and pulling batteries and such. If there is a certain combo that is working to actually make this an all around better device without extra head aches I would go for it.

ROM
    AOSP by preferance

just use z4root (market app) to root and test it out. if you dont like it unroot. verizon wont be able to tell
    Blackberry Storm 9530 (1 year)>
    Motorola Droid [Rooted] (Froyo 2.2 --> 1Ghz ultra low voltage) (8 months)>
    Motorola Droid X [Rooted] (Fission v2.6.1 --> 1Ghz--> low voltage)(10 months)>
    HTC Droid Eris [Rooted] (CM 7) (risky outdoors device)(current)>
    HTC Droid Incredible [Rooted] (CM 7)[Bad ESN <craigslist scam>](just a tablet now)>
    Motorola Droid 2 [Rooted] (GingerBread v2.3.3 Blur v4.5.153 --> 1Ghz) (Current)[/FONT]

Next device: Samsung Galaxy S II
    ZombieHacks Avatar

ROM
    CM7 w/ ChevyNo1's 1.1 LV

I see in your sig corydunbar that you have your D2 underclocked to 800 MHz, on ultra low voltage. What is the regular setting, and does the new one make a significant difference in battery life?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by corydunbar View Post
    just use z4root (market app) to root and test it out. if you dont like it unroot. verizon wont be able to tell
    So what would this do for me and how do I do it. Never rooted a phone before but I am capable of following instructions. And if I didn't like it how do I go back???
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,728 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Download the app and it should do everything for you
    Loving this Oneplus one!!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Just curious what I should do to my phone once rooted. What are some good steps to take? Just trying to be thorough with research. Thanks again

ROM
    AOSP by preferance

Quote Originally Posted by lhorn View Post
    Just curious what I should do to my phone once rooted. What are some good steps to take? Just trying to be thorough with research. Thanks again
    You have to be rooted first:
    once rooted download jRummy's "D2/DX overclock" app in the market. once installed, allow SuperUser permissions (it will ask on first open). then select "set scaling frequencies [not on boot]> then select ultra low voltage > then if you want to retain speed choose the 1GHz max, but i feel that 800MHz is plenty fast enough. This will greatly improve battery life. If it reboots you'll have to reset the scaling frequencies again, but this time only choose low voltage, it will prevent reboots if you have them.

update as for what you're able to do with root access is run special permission apps like: "wireless tether for root users", "rom manager", "drocap2",... It ultimately gives you the complete functionality that your device should allow out of the box, but motorola doesn't want you to damage important files(that you could damage if you had root access). and no you're not going to damage your device if you do everything correctly.
    HTC Droid Incredible [Rooted] (CM 7)[Bad ESN <craigslist scam>](just a tablet now)>
    Motorola Droid 2 [Rooted] (GingerBread v2.3.3 Blur v4.5.153 --> 1Ghz) (Current)[/FONT]

Not a whole lot of info on that one. It just spins round and round. No info on how long I'm suppose to wait or if any of my settings are causing it to not work.

It's just "oh hey download this and click on it!".

Me no likey.

ROM
    AOSP by preferance

z4root is a new way to root most devices such as the droid 2. It is completely app based. so it wont need to be connected to a computer at all. it runs the same command as the computer based one click methods, but it is refined to look cleaner and give you the option to unroot. it is completely safe. read the comments in the market if you need some more confidence in the app. also feel free to ask more questions i dont mind answering.

z4root is a new way to root most devices such as the droid 2. It is completely app based. so it wont need to be connected to a computer at all. it runs the same command as the computer based one click methods, but it is refined to look cleaner and give you the option to unroot. it is completely safe. read the comments in the market if you need some more confidence in the app. also feel free to ask more questions i dont mind answering.
    Thanks for being so helpful about Rooting. I have a couple questions...

1. Once rooted, what should i download?
    2. Back it up? Do i need to back it up to a computer after rooting?
    3. Is there a list anywhere of what I should get to best utilize my phone after rooting?
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,728 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Once rooted you can get bootstrap which will load clockworkmod for you, and allow you to do nandroid backups. Titanium backup is good for backing up apps plus their data. As far as other apps it depends om what you want to do
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

If I root with z4root can I enable the mobile wifi for free?
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,728 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Yes you can I have it on mine but have no need for it

ROM
    AOSP by preferance

just to clarify you have to download an alternative tether app in the market called "wireless tether for rot users" (free) the "3G mobile hotspot" will still require monthly cost.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I saw that motorola removed some functions of froyo like pinch peek and other stuff for the d2. What else is froyo capable of that they are not letting it do from the factory? I was hesitant before but I am really thinking about rooting now.
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,728 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Pinch to peek? Don't think I've heard about that
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

I saw it in one of the "all about froyo" articles on the homepage. Doesn't look necessary but still pretty cool and if my d2 is able to do it then I want it to.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

so I did a little more reading and it brought more questions. if you install a custom rom, (like fission) what is that replacing? Is it replacing froyo or enhancing it or replacing blur. Just trying to learn the ropes here guys. Thanks for all the info
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,728 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

It is built of a stock rom but it basically replaceses blur with stock Android so basically you have a d2 that has the same rom as like the d1 or a n1
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

so is it better than blur or just a preference thing?
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Can't find z4root in the android market. Did it get removed or something
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,728 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Looks like it did I have it installed on my phone ill upload it to my dropbox and send you a link via pm
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

rooted now with z4root. Why can't I uninstall skype???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast