Any instructions on putting Gingerbread on your Droid 2

dash1828

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

Not sure if the the phones differ droid x and droid 2 thus the reason for me starting this thread. I was wondering if anyone had a video or step by step instructions on how to load gingerbread to droid 2. I have already rooted my phone. Thanks,

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
With the android 2.3 iteration google chose to use a newer kernel. unfortunately for us droid 2 owners motorola has an encrypted bootloader activated, this prevents any modification to the bootloader, kernel or recovery image. What this means is that until Motorola leaks an update for the droid 2 with gingerbread on it that includes the new bootloader and kernel we are stuck tweaking our froyo to our delight. But who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and something will happen soon that will allow us to make these alterations.

jocko

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
hey cory, in your sig, you talk about having ultra low voltage.what do you mean by that? And to OG thread creator, cory couldn't have said it any better.actually, I haven't even put a rom on my r2d2 yet. I heard liberty is getting a new update some time this week, and if its true, I'll finally set myself free! :D

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
ultra low voltage is done through an app such as the "Droid X/2 overclocker" by jrummy. What under volting your processor does is require less electric potential to make a cycle through your circuit. So this results in Pros[less heat, more battery life] Cons[less stable operations, more likely to random reboot]. Overall i found that i get very good results with lower clock speeds and ultra low voltages. battery life has been superb! any more questions, feel free to ask.

dash1828

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Cory,

Thanks for that info. I guess I just have to wait. In the mean time any suggestions on any kind fun things that I can do with a rooted droid 2? Your info much appreciated.

Thanks,

Icon

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah unfortunately I don't think GB will be available until there is a OTA from VZW. Until then you can flash a custom froyo ROM with custom themes. I'm currently running Liberty 1.5 and its pretty nice. There is one called Apex 1.4 that has a "honeybread" theme (1.4.1). Its a mix of GB and Honeycomb. Pretty nice looking, but haven't had any hands experience with it.

dkear

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah liberty rocks! And with the liberty toolbox you can load themes from the ROM its really convenient. There is tons of fun to have with this, and other ROMs.

Reactions: dash1828

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
ok, there are some serious changes rolling out to my previous statement. Their seems to be an awesome new way of getting past that pesky bootloader. in light of a fresh new release of private keys that have recently been released, we may see a .SBF to give us total control. therefore gingerbread and CM7 may see their way to the droid x/2/global/pro shortly. Thanks so much Motorola for failing to create a completely secure environment that lets us finally own our devices again!

Reactions: dash1828

jocko

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
After reading it all including his twitter, I'm still slightly confused what exactly it all means besides we might be able to get some more better ROMS? Any chance you could put into some simpler words cory? Also, I was wondering if SetCPU also undervolts my phone. Thanks a ton dawg

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
what this means is we can now do two things.
1) we are now able to create and sign .SBF files so we can push our own recovery, kernel, bootloader.
2) using mathematica the droid 2 key can be calculated, this allows the devs to include files that will pass the security encryption of the bootloader.

Fancy talk of the breakdown
Boot chain component Status
OMAP secure bootrom secure
Secure keystore replaceable (this CG must be signed by motorola's key)
mbmloader secure, but irrelevant
mbm secure, but irrelevant, replaceable but unnecessary
recovery replaceable (signable by anything in keystore)
system replaceable (signable by anything in keystore)
bootimage replaceable (signable by anything in keystore)

Overall we will probably see some great things come down the pipe for the Droid X here shortly and The Droid 2 community will piggyback behind them. So we'll be able to start forcing gingerbread to our phone far sooner than motorola will get it out to us. And we will be able to truely make Blurless ROMs and not just visually blurless ROMs. Plus CyanogenMod will likely get an official port.

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
Wow what a lame thing to do, the dev was totally talking crap yesterday about how he cracked to bootloader. Looks like we are back where we started. no Cyanogen for us yet.

dash1828

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
If you get any instructions on how to do this. By all means let me know. In the mean time I will try out liberty and fission people here seem to like them. Any good links for step by step instructions for liberty and fission?

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
Cory where did you get your fission?

I donated to the dev, so i have access to the FRM full instead of the FRM lite that you can get at Team DeFuse. It is the ultimate Fission ROM modifier. Much like the Liberty Toolbox for Liberty 1.5, but it allows you to get all of the beta stuff like CyanogenMod nightlies.

I recommended supporting TeamDefuse so we can make our D2's better, but if you are extremely cheap i may look for a way to strip out my fission 2.6.1 for you. I may wipe data and cache and just post up my backup so you can restore it with ROM Manager. I like Fission a lot, its a super solid ROM.

If you wanna get specific instructions feel free to PM me, grab me on FB, Twitter, or GTalk.

dkear

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Cory what does Fission 2.6.1 have that 2.5.7 does not? I am really liking liberty but I may want to try Fission sometime in the near future just for the fun.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie