Rooting D2 with Gingerbread

yarole7

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I recently was playing around with the rooting and ROMs to improve my phones speed, and I discovered how to root my droid 2 using z4root. I don't know how many forums I read but not one of them told me I should back up my stock data before I root/flash roms. So not knowing I had to do that I flashed the gingerbread rom for the droid 2. For some reason when I rebooted and gingerbread was now running on my phone, the phone was no rooted. After sometime i realized my phone cannot be rooted on gingerbread the same way it was rooted without gingerbread. So my question is How can I root my phone with gingerbread already installed?

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I recently was playing around with the rooting and ROMs to improve my phones speed, and I discovered how to root my droid 2 using z4root. I don't know how many forums I read but not one of them told me I should back up my stock data before I root/flash roms. So not knowing I had to do that I flashed the gingerbread rom for the droid 2. For some reason when I rebooted and gingerbread was now running on my phone, the phone was no rooted. After sometime i realized my phone cannot be rooted on gingerbread the same way it was rooted without gingerbread. So my question is How can I root my phone with gingerbread already installed?

This should fix you up. This will run the same way z4root does: gingerbreak.apk
Update: doesn't work

Last edited:
Reactions: yarole7

prodig33

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm stuck on the rooting... running exploit... this may take a few minutes... screen.. did it root pretty fast for you? or anyone? doesnt seem to be working right for me. running 2.3.3. thanks

mascotea

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Gingerbreak doesn't work on Moto's 2.3.3 GB.

Look for the other thread(s) with the Droid 3 one-click root. That one definitely works for the D2, D2G.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I tried the D3 one click root (psousa, I think?), and it seems to complete, but Ti Backup and SetCPU can't seem to get su access and won't run.

Are there any other tricks or tips you can think of?

Thanks,
AJ

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
After piecing together results from various users I arrived at the following:

The Droid3 Moto Rooter does work for most people. If you did not "unroot" before upgrading to the new VZ Ginger ROM, you may have trouble.

Basically, the existing "su" and "busybox" that were installed and kept during your upgrade (i.e. from Z4Root on Froyo) cause the new root to fail to install.

What follows is certainly NOT "one click root"...you need some exp with command lines, etc...please do not attempt this unless you're confident in what you're doing.

So I stepped through the actual lines of the script, including letting the phone reboot between the comments "Stage 1" and "Stage 2", and after "Stage 2" was complete (I let it reboot again).

When the phone came back, I went into the shell and followed the instructions listed at the bottom of his page for the Droid X. (When you try "adb shell", you should get a # prompt, not the $ prompt. This is an indicator that you'll be able to remount the fs to perform your fixups.)

Basically remount the filesystem as rw, and remove all traces of existing "su" and "busybox" binaries from the phone. THEN you can run the commands he lists in "Stage 3" to "push" the new versions of the files to the phone and change their permissions.

When that was complete, all my root-required apps (like TiBackup and SetCPU) were happy!

Hope this helps. As always, there's a lot of info out there, and it's sometimes hard to piece it together.

-AJ

scarryman04

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm acquiring a D2 soon and am going to root and ROM and wanna know if theres a root method that doesn't have to deal with a one click? I don't trust software...I would rather manually do it with RSD if possible.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08