Droid 3: Apps That Are Safe To Remove Once Rooted

tattyt

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Great job on this forum post. Cory I have a Ascend II by Cricket and I screwed up and rooted with out backing up my apps I got rid of most of the Bloatware and now I am trying to update to the newest android update from Cricket 2.3.5 and i get errors that say FMRadio.odex or something do you have any idea what may be causing this ?
thanks
tatty

chrisz18

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I deleted a couple apps and now whenever i open up text messaging, i get a force close. If i use handcent, sending out messages is fine. Receiving them, i get a force close from the original text message app. The only apps i deleted (yes im stupid for not freezing) that have anything to do with texts are...

Social Status 2.3.4
Social Networking 2.3.4
Social Messaging 2.3.4
Social Location
QuickSMS 2.3.4
IM Presence

I deleted some other apps, but these are the only ones i think could be the problem. When i try to restore these, It just sits at restoring... And does nothing. Any help would be great

thomashedd1

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Hello, do you guys know what the hotspot app is called? I want to tether for free and I have a fear that if the stock app is installed I will be charged. I have a root wireless tether app installed and when I run it it opens the stock hotspot app. Thank you!

martinb28

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the info. This is very useful. It does raise a few questions. Why cant I delete the system programs I dont want? I have used 317mb of system storage and only have 3.3mb free. Isn't that slowing down my system?

My goal is to have my phone run quick and smooth. I dont care about cool extra features. I want to use it to surf, email, txt and tether. And play a baseball game. Can you recommend a particular ROM for me? Is there a ROM that has already deleted all these system programs I dont want?

Also, I dont quite understand Titanium Backup. Where does it backup to??? And what should I backup?

Thanks,
Martin

Droid 3
VZW
ROM - 2.3.4

Last edited:

BBooDad

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Keep reading (especially at XDA and Roozwiki, as well as here), keep experimenting, and you'll figure it all out.

Titanium Backup makes the experimenting less painful. Backup to and SD card, back that up to your computer. Then when something you try trashes your phone, you just re-install a good ROM and your Titanium Backup, and you are up and running again.

Good luck...

Shimmy583

May 3, 2011
Visit site
You have to switch from read-only to read-write. In Root Explorer, I think you just have to press the small button in the upper-left (shows your current permission state).

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Shimmy583

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to throw this out into the ether.

I use Skyfire 4.0 for web browsing. Whether I freeze the native browser or rename it, Skyfire will not work properly. It will launch, but pressing the "Bookmark" tab with cause an immediate force close of Skyfire.

Skyfire is the only Android browser I like. For this reason, I keep the native browser in its original state.

A question that hopefully someone can answer: Does renaming a service (Citrix, for example) automatically detach it from the Android Market? Titanium Backup gives you that option, but it doesn't seem to be a permanent fix. After awhile, the apps I detached show up on the update list in the Market.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

zepol07

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
The free way, or atleast this is what I did:

1. Get an app list

- Install SSHDroid
-Make sure your phone is connected to wifi, and SSH to your phone.
I use Linux Mint, but if you use windows just go to ninite.com and install putty so you can SSH to it.
-When connected type (without the quotes): "cd /system/apps"
-After that type(without the quotes): "ls -a > /sdcard-ext/applist.txt"

-Then connect your phone to your PC and copy and paste your applist.txt from your phone to any where on your PC. Now you have your app list and can enable disable whatever you want. I would suggest reading about them before you just disable them and screw up your phone.

2. Make/use a script to remove/disable the apps - thanks to psouza4 for his script and his post here

[Script] Safe bloat removal script (50+ apps) [UPDATED 9/1/2011] - xda-developers

-Go there and download and extract his script and then copy it to your phone. Run his script first then decide if you want to remove more apps.
-Install Script Manager
-Open script manager navigate to your /sdcard-ext/ and click the script then click SU then Run. Your phone will ask some questions answer them, and then it will reboot and your apps will be gone.

3. Remove more apps, if you ran the script above then you might want to rerun an app list. I reran an app list and pasted it into Calc(Excel) and filtered by ends with .bak so I can see what was left on my phone.

-After I ran Pete's script there were some others I wanted to get rid of, so this is what I did:

In Linux create a file remove_more.sh, in windows use notepad ++ and save the file as "remove_more.sh" (with the quotes)

and paste the following in your file:

#!/system/bin/sh

echo ""
echo "Are you ready to run this? [y/N]"
read opt_ready

case $opt_ready in
y|Y)ready_flag=1;;
*)ready_flag=0;;
esac

if [ "$ready_flag" -eq 0 ]; then
echo ""
echo "Aborted!"
exit 0
fi

echo ""
echo "Working, please wait..."

mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system 2>/dev/null

cd /system/app

# Remove More Stuff
mv VCast.apk VCast.apk.bak 2>/dev/null

#Follow the format above, mv appname.apk or.odex then appname.apk.bak or odex.bak followed b
y 2>/dev/null
#Finished

mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system 2>/dev/null

reboot

-After adding all the apps you want to remove (Corey's list is a huge help) then save the file and copy it to your phone, and open script manager again and run the new script.
-If you want to reenable something just open the remove_more.sh file and reverse the .apk and .apk.bak in that line of code.

By the way blur_yahoo messes up your contacts, so don't do anything to that.

-Hope that helps, and have fun!

Zepol~

jamesm4444

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if this is a silly question. I'd love to rid my Droid 3 of bloatware but I can't see any of the pictures in Cory's post. Each picture says:

"This image exceeds bandwidth with too many views"

Is there any way to see the pictures? It's hard to follow without them! Thanks!

richardawood

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I am not able to use your "original stock apps" link. Can you please help me find the stock apps to download back? I did the same thing and uninstalled a whole bunch of apps before thinking... or backing up. I cannot go back to stock because I have flashed my phone to another carrier that charges everytime I mess up my phone... I can't help myself! I love modding my phones. thanks in advance for anyone's help with this issue.

Bosstweed

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello All, I am new at this whole thing with rooting. I have read your process through and did the "renaming" part.

Does the renaming of the bloatware/unwanted apps make those apps unusable? I am trying to cut down on the amount of memory that those bloatware/unwanted apps are using on my phone and it doesn't appear to renaming them increases my available RAM.

Maybe I am just getting this wrong or don't quite understand, if so can you please shine some light on this situation.

Thanks!

pdiwi

May 3, 2012
Visit site
i have found this page after knowing that droid 3 has so many preinstalled apps that wont be necessary, even before buying droid 3 and just decided i will, i may have to wait for 2 - 4 weeks before i can get my hands on it.

ill start by rooting my phone, just finished researching on how to do it, thanks to this site. and next is removing apps.

after removing those apps, can i backup every file i removed into my computer (not to sd card) and unroot droid 3?

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Hello All, I am new at this whole thing with rooting. I have read your process through and did the "renaming" part.

Does the renaming of the bloatware/unwanted apps make those apps unusable? I am trying to cut down on the amount of memory that those bloatware/unwanted apps are using on my phone and it doesn't appear to renaming them increases my available RAM.

Maybe I am just getting this wrong or don't quite understand, if so can you please shine some light on this situation.

Thanks!

Once you rename the app and it doesn't load at startup anymore, that app will not use ram and/or run in the background like before. However, the way android works is that whenever a program starts it is cached in the ram. As more apps start and ram depletes, android will automatically remove a process from the ram that is not in use. So you are making you phone faster and freeing up ram for other processes and activities on your phone. Download Android System Info, a free app from the play store. It will tell you exactly what processes and apps are using your ram. Hope this helps.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I recently rooted my phone (last week), after months running stock. I actually do not mind stock at all, and I think that debloating is way over-hyped.

Anyway, I decided to debloat, just to see what would happen. And, with my phone set up *exactly* as it was before, I do generally have more available free RAM (stock it generally sits at 50 MB; debloated it is about 70-75 MB). However, my battery life is *exactly* the same.

I do like the fact that I will not accidentally start the bloatware by hitting the wrong icon (which never happened very often), but debloating will not give you very much extra battery life.

tmoore4748

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Cory

I have what probably sounds like a rather stupid question: Are the tables part of your original post apps that can be safely removed from the Droid 3? The reason I ask this is the little bit at the top that says "Do Not Remove."

My confusion is that this note is above an empty table, but has several of the other tables below it. I was reading through the posts and saw Masheen's post, but wasn't sure how to interpret it in light of your original post.

Masheen says that the apps on his list can be safely removed, and you have several of those on your list (with the "Do Not Remove" statement). That leads me to believe that I'm simply reading your list wrong, and that all of the apps on it can be removed/deleted.

Can you help answer my question? thanks for your time.

Tmoore