Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unroot?

Hello all!

I'm a noob to Android. Have a Droid 3.
    First... A lot of great info on here. Thank you!
    My question: It may have been covered and I may have missed it...
    If I root my D3 to remove the bloatware and then unroot to avoid doing something stupid, will the bloatware return?

I don't care about changing ROMs or doing anything fancy, I just want to get rid of unwanted apps. I want to do Android Lover's "simply grabbing Titanium Backup from the market and freezing anything you don't use or want."

Thank you in advance for your help.

Default Re: Unroot?

Quote Originally Posted by firemanb72 View Post
    Hello all!

I'm a noob to Android. Have a Droid 3.
    First... A lot of great info on here. Thank you!
    My question: It may have been covered and I may have missed it...
    If I root my D3 to remove the bloatware and then unroot to avoid doing something stupid, will the bloatware return?

I don't care about changing ROMs or doing anything fancy, I just want to get rid of unwanted apps. I want to do Android Lover's "simply grabbing Titanium Backup from the market and freezing anything you don't use or want."

Thank you in advance for your help.
    You do need to restore the bloatware yourself (somehow) before you unroot - it will not return on its own. Pete's one-click root package, which can unroot as well, has a way to download a zip file with the system apps in it to restore, but the one time that I tried that it would not work. The other complication is that the new 906 system is supposed to be rolling out soon, and once your stock system is updated to that, Pete's original system files will be old and I'm not sure what would happen if the phone was unrooted.

You are on the right track with using Titanium to freeze the apps, if the pre-installed apps really are that bothersome to you.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks doogald!
    Actually 906 hit this morning. One click fails. Tried both exe and bat on XP and 7.

Quote Originally Posted by firemanb72 View Post
    Thanks doogald!
    Actually 906 hit this morning. One click fails. Tried both exe and bat on XP and 7.
    It fails to root, but I believe that the unroot still works if you restore all bloat prior to unroot. (Though, again, I haven't tried it.)

The Droid 4 Motofail root method does work on the Droid 3 to root the phone. It is here: Security Research by Dan Rosenberg