1080p Netflix Streaming on Bionic? Yup!

Friend-O

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Just read the article again and somehow this part got by me the first time:

"This app will be directed more towards upcoming tablets, since phones don’t come with a 1080p resolution screen and probably won’t anytime soon."

So, in reality, this isn't a big deal for phones yet. Oh well...

Reactions: shipwrestler125

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I always thought that anything above 720p for screens less than 30" are pretty much needless.

For TVs, that's pretty close to the rule of thumb that I've heard. But, it's based on how far you are from the TV. In essence, if you're far enough away, you won't be able to see individual pixels of a certain resolution/screen size. The same rule of thumb doesn't apply directly to phones (or monitors for that matter) since you're much closer to the phone when viewing than you are a TV (hopefully).

Reactions: pwninobrlan

pwninobrlan

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
For TVs, that's pretty close to the rule of thumb that I've heard. But, it's based on how far you are from the TV. In essence, if you're far enough away, you won't be able to see individual pixels of a certain resolution/screen size. The same rule of thumb doesn't apply directly to phones (or monitors for that matter) since you're much closer to the phone when viewing than you are a TV (hopefully).

Ahh I see. Personally, I don't care much for anything higher than 720p unless I'm watching sports or a Pixar movie. :p

Friend-O

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Despite the fact that the phone's display itself can't produce 1080p, folks who actually make use of the phone's HDMI out to watch streaming movies on a HD tv should be thrilled.

LizardLady

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Despite the fact that the phone's display itself can't produce 1080p, folks who actually make use of the phone's HDMI out to watch streaming movies on a HD tv should be thrilled.
So wait a minute. Will Netflix work on the Bionic or not? I called Netflix, Motorola and Verizon and no one has the answer. I just need to know because Netflix is very important to me -- and my decision to get the Bionic vs. the iPhone will be based on Netflix.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
It should at least work. It works fine on my Droid 1 and X1.

1080p? Thats the question you want the answer to I guess.

sfay93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
From the article:
Smartphones and tablets running the Netflix application on the OMAP 4 platform can also connect to larger, HDMI-supported televisions as the OMAP platform's security includes HDCP encryption over the HDMI connection itself.

Very nice. Netflix on the go. Don't forget you HDMI cable. :)

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site