Bionic 9/1 release date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neowarcloud

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
The Bionic announced at CES WAS scrapped (codename Etna). Since VZW is the one that licenses the Droid brand they are probably the ones that decided to shift the name to another device that Moto had in the pipeline (codename Targa) scheduled for a late q3 release.

Actually Lucas Films has the license on DROID...

VZW, Samsung and Moto just pay for the right to use it...

neowarcloud

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Makes perfect sense when you realize that you're talking about two different phones. The first Bionic was a failed device and was canceled. To save face Moto made up the story that they were just making improvements to the original Bionic but it's really a whole new phone with the same name.

Thanks, Robrecht

Whatever happened, it would be an absolute waste to not drop a device with the name Droid Bionic. It created a huge buzz at CES and has had a consistently strong following. The name also plays heavily into the amount of branding that Moto and VZW have done with DROID.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Correct he was and it's still incorrect information. Targa, now the New Bionic, was never leaked as a Q4 device.

ok w.e you say CK since I forgot you know everything.:p From now on I will just ask you since you have such a wealth of knowledge and since you are all knowing and hate the bionic how will the function blow it away? I am curious since I am unsure what phone I am going to get.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Correct he was and it's still incorrect information. Targa, now the New Bionic, was never leaked as a Q4 device.

ok w.e you say CK since I forgot you know everything.:p From now on I will just ask you since you have such a wealth of knowledge and since you are all knowing and hate the bionic how will the function blow it away? I am curious since I am unsure what phone I am going to get.
Don't take it personal.

Sent from my Droid

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
The Bionic announced at CES WAS scrapped (codename Etna). Since VZW is the one that licenses the Droid brand they are probably the ones that decided to shift the name to another device that Moto had in the pipeline (codename Targa) scheduled for a late q3 release.

Exactly! I am so tired of people saying the Bionic keeps getting delayed. No, Etna Bionic was scrapped, rightfully so; Targa Bionic is right on schedule to be released when Verizon wants to release it - it was always a Q3 late summer release device.

no it was not. Targa has always been a Q3 device.

Exactly, Targa was always a Q3 device and it was always a dual core device.. One blog post speculated that The leaked Targa may be Quad core, without any semblance of thought or information to back it up, and it is forever more reported around the Internet as Gospel truth.

Man, people need to learn the difference between factual information and targeted leaks and speculation and unsubstantiated rumor.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The first leaked photos I remember seeing of the Targa, back in March of this year, before the original Bionic was canceled, it was said to have a target ship date of Christmas. I think what is now being called the Targa/Bionic is an expedited compromise.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Exactly! I am so tired of people saying the Bionic keeps getting delayed. No, Etna Bionic was scrapped, rightfully so; Targa Bionic is right on schedule to be released when Verizon wants to release it - it was always a Q3 late summer release device.

Exactly, Targa was always a Q3 device and it was always a dual core device.. One blog post speculated that The leaked Targa may be Quad core, without any semblance of thought or information to back it up, and it is forever more reported around the Internet as Gospel truth.

Man, people need to learn the difference between factual information and targeted leaks and speculation and unsubstantiated rumor.
great post :)

I'm CK and I support this message

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I think what's frustrating about the original Bionic being scrapped is if you're someone in my boat (upgrading from a 2 year old phone and wanting a device soon) there isn't a great option. The current LTE phones seem to have issues (I'd probably opt for the Charge despite some complaints about the RAM) and a lot of people might like the 3G ones but don't want to be tied into a non-LTE phone for 2 years (that's me). There just doesn't seem to be anything good to do, so the promise of a Bionic or an SG2 or whatever is extremely alluring to us.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Actually the bionic has been delayed. At CES Motorola announced that a phone called the Droid Bionic would be released sometime in Q2. Q2 is over and there is no Droid Bionic available. Motorola never announced an Etna or a Targa, they only announced a Droid Bionic. They announced it for Q2 and subsequently said it won't be available until Q3. That is the definition of delay.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Actually the bionic has been delayed. At CES Motorola announced that a phone called the Droid Bionic would be released sometime in Q2. Q2 is over and there is no Droid Bionic available. Motorola never announced an Etna or a Targa, they only announced a Droid Bionic. They announced it for Q2 and subsequently said it won't be available until Q3. That is the definition of delay.

Definition of delay is when Verizon says "The XYZ phone will be released in January" or "The XYX will be released Q3" and then it doesn't happen. Motorola doesn't release phones and has no say in the matter. Verizon can release the Bionic in 2012 and it still won't be delayed.

Until Verizon makes an announcement nothing is delayed,pushed up or canceled.

Sent from my Droid

alcor34

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Well some potentially bad news...seems Kellex at Droid Life has some insider information that the Bionic may not come out until 9/1. He says that the 4G Samsung slider may come out either late this month or next month and be the filler until the huge marketing campaign of the Bionic shows up. While I am very disappointed to hear this, I am pretty sure this matches up with what the release dates some of the insiders at HoFo were saying. They were all saying late August or early September so maybe it does make sense. I just don't get why Motorola is dragging their feet so much on releasing this phone. Isn't the iPhone coming in September too? They are going to have their work cut out for them is all I'm saying. You can find this info about the 9/1 release date (although nothing more than him stating it so) here :Samsung 4G LTE Slider Makes a New Appearance, We?re Doubting This is Verizon?s Version of the Galaxy S II - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I was told by someone i know at vzw that it's not vzw that's the hold up but in fact the 4g combined with the dual core and 1gb ram, the phone keeps burning out from excessive heat. Which, i don't know if that's totally reliable, but 4g phones do make a lot of heat, and then with the dual core etc, i think it's possibly true. After all, why is it that all the other makes are releasing 4g lte phones with the same old 512, maybe the don't want to invest in the excess cause they know the problem with the combination on vzw network.

Just my two cents. Be kind if you think it's dumb.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Definition of delay is when Verizon says "The XYZ phone will be released in January" or "The XYX will be released Q3" and then it doesn't happen. Motorola doesn't release phones and has no say in the matter. Verizon can release the Bionic in 2012 and it still won't be delayed.

Until Verizon makes an announcement nothing is delayed,pushed up or canceled.

Sent from my Droid
Verizon did say they would have four 4G LTE phones on their network by June. Guess which one was 'delayed'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech