Forget the BIONIC say hello Dinara!

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
It's going to be a nice follow up to the Atrix thats for sure. Verizon is the worst when it comes to equipment. All the latest and greatest are truly the latest and greatest...on OTHER carriers :)

I've been seriously considering moving over to Sprint. The ONLY thing that is keeping me here (Verizon) is the GS2. Depending on what transpires over the next couple months I may be dumping Verizon.

Yeah that's always been Big Red's strategy. Worry about the network, not the phones. At least we can say it has worked for them, being the largest and fastest network. I know plenty of people with AT&T and Sprint (my GF has Sprint) and she gets dropped calls, AT&T suffers horribly. Though I have been tempted by the phones of Sprint and moved over. But I'm locked into unlimited data with Verizon, so I'll at least give their 4G a go on a delayed phone. :)

So I commend Verizon on their network! But still how hard is it to get some cutting edge phones! :p haha.

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
It's going to be a nice follow up to the Atrix thats for sure. Verizon is the worst when it comes to equipment. All the latest and greatest are truly the latest and greatest...on OTHER carriers :)

I've been seriously considering moving over to Sprint. The ONLY thing that is keeping me here (Verizon) is the GS2. Depending on what transpires over the next couple months I may be dumping Verizon.

I think a lot of us were expecting some real change from Verizon when the Droid came out. I feel everything from Verizon is top notch except their phones. When AT&T has a better selection of Android devices than you something is wrong. I mean, they were pretty much anti-android up until very recently.

Also: Where is that "Best Network; Best Phones" philosophy they had going?

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I think a lot of us were expecting some real change from Verizon when the Droid came out. I feel everything from Verizon is top notch except their phones. When AT&T has a better selection of Android devices than you something is wrong. I mean, they were pretty much anti-android up until very recently.

I think you have to give them sometime for the OEM's to get phones tweaked to work best with LTE. Remember it still is a very young tech I think in a year or so once LTE has more of the kinks worked out and the manufacturers get their chips down pat more phones will pop up and more higher end phones not just place holders like these LTE phones were.

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah Verizon thinks they can throw an LTE radio in a phone with old specs and call it something new and charge a premium for the phone at the same time. Seems like last year they had nice phones but have really been slacking this year.

neowarcloud

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to go out on a limb and say its going to be a multi carrier release...They are looking to go head to head with the SGSII and iPhone 5 which likely won't drop until November.

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

Yes, a lot of us were really excited about the apparent new philosophy - Best phones, supporting the open Android platform. Sadly, I think Android was just a bargaining chip to them, once they backed Apple into a corner and forced them to have to meet Verizons terms, they just don't care any more. It is back to business as usual. There new motto should be "Best Network, the iPhone and a bunch of other crap with all the Bloatware we can pack in" - because I think this is how they look at it.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Why would the GS2 keep you on VZ? You don't believe it will be on all carriers?

No, i know its coming to other carriers. Verizon has great coverage so that would keep me here BUTT I'm willing to risk great coverage to get a great piece of equipment. It's a nice trade-off for me.

I'm tired of watching all the best equipment go elsewhere so instead of the constant complaining I've been doing it's getting to the point I need to just sthu or do something :)

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I think you have to give them sometime for the OEM's to get phones tweaked to work best with LTE. Remember it still is a very young tech I think in a year or so once LTE has more of the kinks worked out and the manufacturers get their chips down pat more phones will pop up and more higher end phones not just place holders like these LTE phones were.

This is just common sense. I'm not talking about just LTE phones, I'm talking about Verizon not having a worthy phone since the OG Droid. Why are there 3 overpriced LTE devices with last year's specs, 1 new device with last year's specs AND lacking 4G, and 2 dual-core phones that are, again, omitting 4G? I realize we are in the transitional stages of new technology, but it's damn frustrating when other carriers have managed to compromise meanwhile Verizon has a seriously decent LTE network with no phone worthy of using it on. It's hard to argue against Verizon's major weakness: lack of phones. As it's always been. /end rant

droidify

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Im curious about that too. From what I understand, apple doesn't meet anyone's terms. I was talking to the manager of Costco a couple months ago and he said they no longer sale any apple products because they wanted to sale the ipad2 for $10 less than MSRP and apple said no. They wouldn't budge so Costco boxed all apple's inventory up through out all their stores in the nation and shipped it back to them.

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm also curious about these terms you say Apple had to agree to. As far as I know Apple is the one setting terms saying that you can't have a carrier logo or bloatware on their devices. Wish the same could be said for Android. It's getting ridiculous the amount of bloatware Verizon is putting on Android phones.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
There will always be better phones coming.. By the time this phone is release there will be one claiming to be better. You will never buy a phone this way!!! I am going to get the Bionic!!! Go ahead and wait 6 months to a year for the Dinara!!

DF400ex

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Can you explain a little more what you mean by this? What terms did Verizon force on Apple?

Steve Jobs and the Verizon Wireless CEO have been quoted in interviews many times about this.

Verizon did not want to pay Apple what they were asking for each device, ATT would because they needed the iPhone to stay in business.

Steve Jobs then said that Verizon reached out to them and said that they should revisit their talks about the iPhone, Jobs responded with something like, yeah, we seem to have missed something there. That "something" being the fact that AT&T couldn't keep up with the network demand and iPhone customers were generally disappointed in their service.

iPhone network service was a joke so Jobs had to do something about it.

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Ha ha, I'm glad. Sure looks legit to me. It's from the Houston Chronicle. It's being picked up elsewhere too.

New better phones being leaked, old phones with tremendous following coming to America... I hope the Bionic does something quick or it's gonna be dead on arrival.