Droid Bionic price page up

Explicit

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
My question is has anyone been able to get there hands on that wallpaper on that phone? Ever since CES I've wanted that wallpaper. The one in the Droid 3 was a great tease, but I need that wallpaper in my Droid X :cool:

DF400ex

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Well... not necessarily. There seems to be some confusion on the Forensic Error Level Analysis... so let me clear it up.

This is from the page itself:
“Error level analysis (ELA) works by intentionally resaving the image at a known error rate, such as 95%, and then computing the difference between the images. If there is virtually no change, then the cell has reached its local minima for error at that quality level. However, if there is a large amount of change, then the pixels are not at their local minima and are effectively original.”

If you take a normal picture and run it through this process there will be little to no highlighted areas as the whole image degrades at the same rate for each successive saving.

That being said, this only works on actual photos, not computer generated images. Motorola used multiple images to make the landing page and it is impossible to make all those different images have the exact same sharpness, quality, etc... not to mention any editing they had to do to make it look good.

Therefore... this Forensic Error Level Analysis only proves that this landing page was created on a computer :p

EDIT... Check out this screenshot I took of the Droid Does Charge page.
http://errorlevelanalysis.com/permalink/895a414/

This one looks like it is much more even that the Bionic pic.Looks like it was edited... but no one know by who.

Last edited:

Harpell

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
That would apply to a picture that was taken and edited for example
However I would assume this is a screen grab so there would be little to no change
from the first saved jpg (screen grab) image to the one that says "Android Centrail".

droidify

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I hope its fake... .52 inches thick?? That's the same as my OGD and it has a slider. If this is the case its thicker than a Asus transformer. That would be rediculous.

cmorty72#AC

The bending unit
Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
No way this thing is real.
Frankly, with all the "said" hype that's been popping up as of late, I wouldn't believe anything until I see it in person and have some concrete evidence in hand.
This is an obvious p/s that was created to stir up commotion, nothing more.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
It does say the tipster said it was an early version - could be "placeholders" as they design the final page. Those things are a work-in-progress until they get finalized. Just saying it still could be a real sign it's still coming soon! Hope springs eternal! :)

Reactions: Preach2k

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
It does say the tipster said it was an early version - could be "placeholders" as they design the final page. Those things are a work-in-progress until they get finalized. Just saying it still could be a real sign it's still coming soon! Hope springs eternal! :)

This guy gets a gold star. :)

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
The fact that something is photoshopped in itself does not make it not true/accurate, especially if coming from a reliable source.

But I think it is a mock up of some kind, obviously not a screen cap for a lot of the reasons pointed out. The phone also has that "halo" feel around it from cropping it out from a lighter background. If you look at the phones on Droid Does it definitely doesn't have that feel. Of course, this could just mean that they were not rendering it in flash at that point and simply cropped out a picture they had for the mock up.

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't think a lot of people here know what photoshop is and how even placeholders are not made in Photoshop, and if something is photoshopped, it's a long, exhausting change that lowers the quality of an image.

in short a savvy designer would not go into photoshop to quickly alter a placeholder image. We use illustrator, indesign, etc, with stock images and templates, vectors. I'm sorry guys that's the reality of design.

That being said, perhaps Verizon has Highschool designers, what would they care. :p

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
It really depends on what you're doing it for. To me it makes zero sense that the page shown ends in .swf and then is a full mock up image.

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't think a lot of people here know what photoshop is and how even placeholders are not made in Photoshop, and if something is photoshopped, it's a long, exhausting change that lowers the quality of an image.

in short a savvy designer would not go into photoshop to quickly alter a placeholder image. We use illustrator, indesign, etc, with stock images and templates, vectors. I'm sorry guys that's the reality of design.

That being said, perhaps Verizon has Highschool designers, what would they care. :p

Please - I have worked with all kinds of designers that have a lot of experience. Some of them will use Photoshop almost exclusively, just as some will use Illustrator almost exclusively. Everyone has their favorite programs and level of experience/expertise rarely changes that.

Reactions: shipwrestler125

D1andOnlyOmen

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I really want to buy into the fact that this really is a "work in progress" mock up, but even at that stage, you would have to assume that the people working on something like that would have access to a decent image of the device to use, rather than using something that looks like it has been pieced together by putting a cropped CES Bionic screen on what looks like a D3 (or definitely slider phone) body.

Can you tell how anxious everyone is for this phone though?!?!? LOL!

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I really want to buy into the fact that this really is a "work in progress" mock up, but even at that stage, you would have to assume that the people working on something like that would have access to a decent image of the device to use, rather than using something that looks like it has been pieced together by putting a cropped CES Bionic screen on what looks like a D3 (or definitely slider phone) body.

But the droid 3 looked similar when it was first put on there although I'm not sayijg this os real but the droid 3 looked equally as bad lol.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

I completely disagree with everyone (not just on here.. even the "allmighty" Kellex said the same thing) saying "this looks like they cropped the D3 bottom! It's a slider!". Look at the leaked photos of the newest version of the Bionic (Targa). They all have a "lip" looking thing on them that make them look like a slider. That is actually consistent. More than anything it looks like someone put the Etna screen on the newer images of the Targa phone body.

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

It is just looks like someone went well out of their way to deceive but didn't do a good job, mainly because of the lack of resources. You would think that the official designer doing a job like this would have more resources from verizon or motorola. The best buy flyer looks real. They had the proper resources available to them. On the best buy flyer the phone image doesn't look like a hack job mixed up with two different models. Why would the official designer go through all that trouble when they should get a real image.

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Please - I have worked with all kinds of designers that have a lot of experience. Some of them will use Photoshop almost exclusively, just as some will use Illustrator almost exclusively. Everyone has their favorite programs and level of experience/expertise rarely changes that.

I am a graphic designer, by schooling and profession, and I can say for myself that making website layouts and mock-ups is not ideally done in Photoshop due to many of the reasons I listed above.

I'm happy you've worked by a designer and I never said they don't use Photoshop, we simply just don't use it in developing web templates and for the reason's I listed earlier. Things will change. It's a major thing to prepare for, change. Thus you want to create documents in vectors and have stock images and graphics. It's easy and quick and should a client want changes, they arescaleable so you don't have to redraw everything in photoshop.

Like I said it's a long exhausting process to draw in photoshop and develop a concept. It's also counter productive because if changes need to be made, you'll need to redo the whole thing, wasting time and resources. And the level of effort to here to make this seem presentable as a placeholder is spent well beyond resources. Also take it from someone who went through years of critique sessions and can see a ton more flaws, even for a mock-up than most people can or know what to look for.

Like I said this can be a placeholder, and I never said it was fake, but someone spent too much time using photoshop to do this and it's unlikely a savvy designer would use photoshop to develop a web template and feel Verizon would have better resources.

(and don't get me wrong Photoshop is a powerful program that has a slew of uses, this simply isn't the best use of Photoshop.)

Reactions: SnydersWeb

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It is just looks like someone went well out of their way to deceive but didn't do a good job, mainly because of the lack of resources. You would think that the official designer doing a job like this would have more resources from verizon or motorola. The best buy flyer looks real. They had the proper resources available to them. On the best buy flyer the phone image doesn't look like a hack job mixed up with two different models. Why would the official designer go through all that trouble when they should get a real image.
i think the answer is quite obvious

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I am a graphic designer, by schooling and profession, and I can say for myself that making website layouts and mock-ups is not ideally done in Photoshop due to many of the reasons I listed above.

I'm happy you've worked by a designer and I never said they don't use Photoshop, we simply just don't use it in developing web templates and for the reason's I listed earlier. Things will change. It's a major thing to prepare for, change. Thus you want to create documents in vectors and have stock images and graphics. It's easy and quick and should a client want changes, they arescaleable so you don't have to redraw everything in photoshop.

Like I said it's a long exhausting process to draw in photoshop and develop a concept. It's also counter productive because if changes need to be made, you'll need to redo the whole thing, wasting time and resources. And the level of effort to here to make this seem presentable as a placeholder is spent well beyond resources. Also take it from someone who went through years of critique sessions and can see a ton more flaws, even for a mock-up than most people can or know what to look for.

Like I said this can be a placeholder, and I never said it was fake, but someone spent too much time using photoshop to do this and it's unlikely a savvy designer would use photoshop to develop a web template and feel Verizon would have better resources.

(and don't get me wrong Photoshop is a powerful program that has a slew of uses, this simply isn't the best use of Photoshop.)

I don't disagree with your points at all. I was simply stating that there are a lot of designers out there, many of them working for large corporations like VZW, that will not use the best application for the job. I have seen designers take 2 hours to do something in Photoshop that they could have accomplished in 10 minutes with Illustrator simply because that was "what we use" or "I use Photoshop for everything." Unfortunately, it happens more often than you would care to imagine!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX