Pentile Screen Opinion/Topic

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
This is what is scaring me. The only time I use a white background with black text is in the web browser. All of my screen backgrounds are dark red, dark blue, dark green or black with gold, so how is this white independent pixel going to impact dark backgrounds?

It really won't effect dark backgrounds. The best advice I can give you is to go to the VZW store and check out a X2 and a Droid 3. Find a good green picture, find a good dark picture, etc.

Pentile will be most noticeable in a solid green or in small, fine lines (such as a hyphen "-"). If you are really concerned about it, I definitely suggest going to a store to check out the X2/Droid 3 display.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
..but the people who are looking forward to the Bionic, are probably power users to begin with who would just deal with the strain on the battery.

I for one would simply deal with charging multiple times a day to have best screen, dual core and LTE. :)

I'm definitely not hating, it's just my belief that they wouldn't adopt RGB stripe for that reason. Maybe they will and all the pentile complaints will disappear. Time will tell.

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
It really won't effect dark backgrounds. The best advice I can give you is to go to the VZW store and check out a X2 and a Droid 3. Find a good green picture, find a good dark picture, etc.

Pentile will be most noticeable in a solid green or in small, fine lines (such as a hyphen "-"). If you are really concerned about it, I definitely suggest going to a store to check out the X2/Droid 3 display.

Actually, fine lines should present no problem at all to these screens, unless of course they are green lines on black.

RustyNutz

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a OG Droid and have been waiting for this damn Bionic to release. I went down to the Verizon Store, to check out the Pentile screens. Personally, I'm not impressed. The DX2 wasn't good, the pixels were as plain as day. It was even worse than the DX. The D3 was better, but still not great. I like the screen on my OG droid better than any of them(i know the screen on the OG droid is smaller). So I guess this Pentile(pixel) screen may be a deal breaker for me, if in fact the Bionic has one. If it does, hopefully they will have improved on it from the current DX2 screen...

I will never go iPhone, but damn those screens are nice!!!

BlueBiker

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: Pentile Opinion/Topic

My opinion?

Why worry about what someone else likes? I spend my money on me, and buy what I like.

This thread isn't about anybody trying to convince others about what they should or shouldn't like. It's about calling attention to particular display attributes that some potential buyers may find unacceptable, saving them from a purchase they'd regret.

Pentile pixelation would drive me batty, while the oversaturation of SAMOLED+ doesn't bother me at all on the Droid Charge -- but I'm grateful for the owners/reviewers who've told us about both characteristics.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

This thread isn't about anybody trying to convince others about what they should or shouldn't like. It's about calling attention to particular display attributes that some potential buyers may find unacceptable, saving them from a purchase they'd regret.

Pentile pixelation would drive me batty, while the oversaturation of SAMOLED+ doesn't bother me at all on the Droid Charge -- but I'm grateful for the owners/reviewers who've told us about both characteristics.

Ironically you guys are kind of agreeing.

Everyone should find what they like. I think a discussion about this stuff helps keep the community informed. It took me a while to learn the stuff I know about displays, and I'm only speaking from what I understand about it (hardly an expert or anything close to it). But overall I think this thread has been quite good - lots of input from people on how the feel about screens, some technical aspects, etc.

Gun to my head and if I had to choose I'd choose Samsung's SAMOLED+ over Moto's qHD pentile, but it's very close. Personally I find faults with both. :)

BlueBiker

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

But overall I think this thread has been quite good - lots of input from people on how the feel about screens, some technical aspects, etc.

Oh definitely, love to hear from both the experts and the users talking about what the tech is like in the real world.

Gun to my head and if I had to choose I'd choose Samsung's SAMOLED+ over Moto's qHD pentile, but it's very close. Personally I find faults with both. :)

One other thing is that SAMOLED+ has amazing viewing angles. Colors are vivid and easily legible even when viewed from way off center.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Oh definitely, love to hear from both the experts and the users talking about what the tech is like in the real world.

One other thing is that SAMOLED+ has amazing viewing angles. Colors are vivid and easily legible even when viewed from way off center.

Definitely.

My largest complaint (more so than color saturation) is that I'm a heavy user in sunny environments (including on a car dashboard) and with sunglasses on - which makes it less than ideal for me.

BlueBiker

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

My largest complaint (more so than color saturation) is that I'm a heavy user in sunny environments (including on a car dashboard) and with sunglasses on - which makes it less than ideal for me.

I had the Charge at the beach last weekend and the display was usable (but not great) in the bright sun, where my OG Droid would've been completely washed out. Are Pentile screens better there?

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

I had the Charge at the beach last weekend and the display was usable (but not great) in the bright sun, where my OG Droid would've been completely washed out. Are Pentile screens better there?

Yes, pentile screens are considered far superior when displaying in sunlight/outdoors.

Reactions: BlueBiker

jamor

Banned
Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

Yes, pentile screens are considered far superior when displaying in sunlight/outdoors.

In that case I'll be happy if it is qHD pentile.

I have the Incredible AMOLED and the sun issue is getting extremely annoying.

terrapin01

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Ironically you guys are kind of agreeing.

Do you know off hand what the advantages/disadvantages are of SAMOLED+ & qHD pentile vs. the retina display?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Re-read the original post. In any case, I stand behind what I said. The only way to know if something is unacceptable, is to try it yourself. This is just a thread full of people trying to convince themselves and others that they are right, the same as every thread on this topic. There's nothing wrong with that, but the third option of not listening to what others think, and trying it yourself needs addressed as well.

I do want to thank all of you for keeping it cool, I think this is the first pentile display thread that hasn't gotten ugly :)

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

Re-read the original post. In any case, I stand behind what I said. The only way to know if something is unacceptable, is to try it yourself. This is just a thread full of people trying to convince themselves and others that they are right, the same as every thread on this topic. There's nothing wrong with that, but the third option of not listening to what others think, and trying it yourself needs addressed as well.

I do want to thank all of you for keeping it cool, I think this is the first pentile display thread that hasn't gotten ugly :)

another purpose for this thread is to refute the misinformation out there about display technologies.

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

Do you know off hand what the advantages/disadvantages are of SAMOLED+ & qHD pentile vs. the retina display?

I'm pretty sure the "Retina" display is simply a very high pixel density RGB Stripe LCD display. Advantages/Disadvantages should be identical to comparing something like the OG Droid display to the SAMOLED+ and Pentile displays.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Agreed, agreed, and agreed. People definitely need to check these screens out for themselves. Some people see things that others don't, some people are bothered by things others aren't. I think it's good though to have unbiased opinions that people can read so they know what to look for when looking at the screens, and this thread is providing them. Its been nice having this thread and being able to talk about the subject in a civilized manner, I didn't think that would be possible :) Thanks OP for starting the thread and thanks to everyone who's contributed for being informative yet civil.

BlueBiker

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

The only way to know if something is unacceptable, is to try it yourself. This is just a thread full of people trying to convince themselves and others that they are right, the same as every thread on this topic. There's nothing wrong with that, but the third option of not listening to what others think, and trying it yourself needs addressed as well.

Good points. If not for threads like this, it wouldn't have occurred to me that the various displays were so different. And yeah, there's no substitute for hands-on.

Heh, guess it is a religious issue for some. FWIW, I probably will upgrade to Bionic (my Charge is a family loaner) if it's the only dual-core 1GB LTE phone expected in the next 6-8wks.

afgasparo

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I saw the Droid X2 and Droid 3 screens in person and only noticed diagonal lines on certain colors (most noticeably on the battery of course). It wasn't that big of a deal, and still was a great looking screen. Since it saves battery, I think it's a great trade off.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I saw the Droid X2 and Droid 3 screens in person and only noticed diagonal lines on certain colors (most noticeably on the battery of course). It wasn't that big of a deal, and still was a great looking screen. Since it saves battery, I think it's a great trade off.

The problem is when you take a pic of someone's skin from a camera phone that has more grain than normal.. look at it on an RGB Stripe display and it looks "decent".. albiet with the grain..

look at it on an Pentile display and you see unnatural colors added into the mix. I'll try and get an example and post it. (I have a Droid1, DroidX, Droid3 and Atrix so I'm very familiar with the differences)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR