Pentile Screen Opinion/Topic

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Pentile Opinion/Topic

I like the screen on the D3. You can see it in the sunlight and with polarized sunglasses on to boot.

-Suntan

Reactions: anon(49997)

Vanilla Ice

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I like the screen on the D3. You can see it in the sunlight and with polarized sunglasses on to boot.

-Suntan

My dx screen is not as clear as the dx2. I compared them at a verizon store. Some people go off droid-life.com review of qhd and think that its the most POS screen ever because kellex says so, when really they never tested it out for them selves. If I could only find the site that did a REAL review of qhd then maybe some haters will shut up and know that Pentile qhd isn't all that bad.

90gsx

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

People dont let all of these pentile bashers influence your decision on what phone to get.

Go to the Verizon store and look at all of the screens for yourself.

I did and the DX2 screen was my favorite, and yes it is pentile.

Everyone has different preferences

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

-Suntan
I agree that the pentile screens that Motorola uses are much better in sunlight than other screen types. I don't mind the pentile screens at all.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

Me personally I can't stand how overblown the colors on the Super Amo + screen is that was on the charge I had for a week. Reds especially were just too overly saturated and un-natural. I actually prefer the Pentile on the D3 vs. the Charge because it is more natural in the way that it presents colors. I guess its the photographer in me that prefers to have colors more natural than over-saturated. I can stand a little pixilation over stupidly exaggerated coloring.

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

To be honest, I think pentile is a little more of a versatile screen than the super amoled displays. I enjoy both, but I prefer the pentile trade offs to the super amoled ones. If all Samsung phones allowed you to tweak the display (like the SGSII), I would possibly be more inclined to prefer it. As of right now, the over saturation turns me off when doing most day-to-day functions on my phone. Besides, I enjoy a little pattern in my text and colors. :p

tehsusenoh

May 26, 2011
teh.cx.cc

I was just at Wal-Mart checking out the phones, specifically the Droid X2, and I will say that the battery icon's edges kinda bug me. I also looked at the EVO 3D, which is also qHD, and I will say I like that screen better.

However, I think everyone needs to actually look at a pentile display, as many may not be able to notice it, and will like the increased brightness, better outdoor viewing and better battery life.

I, personally, think that the pentile isn't that great, but anyone would be able to live with it, so long as they don't hold it too close and see the gridlines. I might hold off and wait for something a bit better, as I have really, really good vision, so I notice the pixels, an the diagonal grid will bug me. But if the Bionic is on par with the SGS2, I'll take it.

csimme01

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Me personally I can't stand how overblown the colors on the Super Amo + screen is that was on the charge I had for a week. Reds especially were just too overly saturated and un-natural. I actually prefer the Pentile on the D3 vs. the Charge because it is more natural in the way that it presents colors. I guess its the photographer in me that prefers to have colors more natural than over-saturated. I can stand a little pixilation over stupidly exaggerated coloring.
Exactly my thought..everything looks like it is in a comic book. Bright is ok but not artificial.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

I was just at Wal-Mart checking out the phones, specifically the Droid X2, and I will say that the battery icon's edges kinda bug me. I also looked at the EVO 3D, which is also qHD, and I will say I like that screen better.

However, I think everyone needs to actually look at a pentile display, as many may not be able to notice it, and will like the increased brightness, better outdoor viewing and better battery life.

I, personally, think that the pentile isn't that great, but anyone would be able to live with it, so long as they don't hold it too close and see the gridlines. I might hold off and wait for something a bit better, as I have really, really good vision, so I notice the pixels, an the diagonal grid will bug me. But if the Bionic is on par with the SGS2, I'll take it.

The battery icon is definitely noticeable that its a pentile if you take the time and look at it. Pure greens (and reds) make it definitely noticeable and that's exactly what the battery icon is - a hunk of green inside of a white box.

Something else I'd suggest doing is going to a web page like Wikipedia and looking at the text on the X2. It can be crisp, but some people don't like the pentile, which can come across in some specific characters (a dash/hyphen "-" in my opinion is one of the most noticeable).

The X2 is probably the best phone to play with if you're want to get a feel for what the screen on the Bionic will be like.

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Because of the way the human eye works, solid green on black is easiest to see the pentile pixel layout on. Least noticeable would be blue on black.

I'm personally hoping for 1280x720 pentile display! At that pixel density it would be very hard to see the pentile pixel structure even in green.

I know, I know highly unlikely, but a guy can dream right?

csimme01

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I know, I know highly unlikely, but a guy can dream right?
Not to stray to far off topic but..
I keep hearing "I can dream"
This dream has been going on so long now it is turning into a nightmares ..
I WANT MY NEW PHONE ALREADY!!
There, I feel better,
Back to your regularly scheduled program.

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Not to stray to far off topic but..
I keep hearing "I can dream"
This dream has been going on so long now it is turning into a nightmares ..
I WANT MY NEW PHONE ALREADY!!
There, I feel better,
Back to your regularly scheduled program.

LOL, I hear ya. Playing with ROMs on my OG Droid has kept me sane while we all wait for this phone to drop.

I have to say though, I am much more excited for the Targa version of the Bionic than I was for the Etna version.

tehsusenoh

May 26, 2011
teh.cx.cc

The battery icon is definitely noticeable that its a pentile if you take the time and look at it. Pure greens (and reds) make it definitely noticeable and that's exactly what the battery icon is - a hunk of green inside of a white box.

Something else I'd suggest doing is going to a web page like Wikipedia and looking at the text on the X2. It can be crisp, but some people don't like the pentile, which can come across in some specific characters (a dash/hyphen "-" in my opinion is one of the most noticeable).

The X2 is probably the best phone to play with if you're want to get a feel for what the screen on the Bionic will be like.

That's exactly why I was looking at it. My mother and I are really picky when it comes to screens, but she's the most concerned out of the two of us, as she'll be doing tons and tons of emails, work stuff, etc.

Plus she can see pixels almost as well as I can.

Of course I forgot to show her it while I was in the store, I was too busy playing with the EVO 3D's camera. :p

Vanilla Ice

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
LOL, I hear ya. Playing with ROMs on my OG Droid has kept me sane while we all wait for this phone to drop.

I have to say though, I am much more excited for the Targa version of the Bionic than I was for the Etna version.

Im happy this phone has been delayed 3 times. They only build it to be better, faster and more amazing. Ugh come on august 4th.

anon(415574)

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site

To each his own, but the screen is so bad on the D3 that it stopped me from buying it. If the Bionic also has a pentile screen I will definitely have to do some thinking before buying it. I don't know that I could still buy it if it is as bad as the D3 screen.

I compared 4 phones at VZW's store in real time.. side by side, along with my D1. If your vision is so bad you can't see it.. Well, congrats. ?

BTW, it's not terrible ALL the time. But on the websites I frequent, it makes it almost unusable.. IMO. YMMV, etc, etc..

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

To each his own, but the screen is so bad on the D3 that it stopped me from buying it. If the Bionic also has a pentile screen I will definitely have to do some thinking before buying it. I don't know that I could still buy it if it is as bad as the D3 screen.

I compared 4 phones at VZW's store in real time.. side by side, along with my D1. If your vision is so bad you can't see it.. Well, congrats. ?

BTW, it's not terrible ALL the time. But on the websites I frequent, it makes it almost unusable.. IMO. YMMV, etc, etc..

Bionic will have a same (but larger) screen. Take a look at the X2, it should be that exact screen.

Aegis

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

Bionic will have a same (but larger) screen. Take a look at the X2, it should be that exact screen.
I managed to play with the DX2 and D3 the other day, and I didn't see any problems with the screen. I'm sure the Samsung screens look really good, but I don't think it's going to kill anyone to have a qHD screen.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Not seeing it doesn't mean you have bad vision(unless you consider 20/15 vision as "bad") Different people see different levels of graininess, some people with excellent vision see none at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20