FCC Documents Public today!

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
How much are 16gb Cards? Could I just swap the one from my OG Droid into it?

Im not sure, but you should be able to pick one up on eBay/amazon for cheap. Yes, you can swap out the 16GB mSD card from your old phone.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

KDogg241

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Looks like Amazon has them for $25 on the high side. As far as using the OG Droid card, that is what I had planned on doing. Going from the OG Droid to the Bionic I would imagine the only reason for the SD card will be for ROM backups, etc. when/if ever the root/custom rom stuff gets going.

terrapin01

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
EDIT: nevermind. just saw some other documents that only list CDMA, LTE, BT and Wifi as the signaling capabilities. Interesting that the global stuff was in the March manual though...

Did anybody notice this on page 3 of the manual?

Is the Bionic gonna be a global phone? Because this came pretty much out of left field if it is.

Obviously, this might be wrong since the manual is dated March, but it's interesting to see it in the manual at all

Found more on page 48-49: https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1489029

Looks like it will be a world phone. The attestation document which was signed in June mentions world compatibility and every page of that document has a header of IHDT46MX1 which is the Bionic ID (so this is definitely not some kind of shared document with something like the Photon which has a different ID). Another note of interest is there are several mentions of June 2001 which is clearly a typo because Motorola was not releasing devices will all these communications capabilities and they were not called Motorola Mobility back then anyway.

Motorola has clearly upped the ante by making a fairly slender phone with LTE and world capabilities. Now I can clearly understand why they were so many delays. After seeing these disclosures I can forgive them. If they unlock the bootloader, this will be a hard phone NOT to choose. The GS2 is looking to have some serious competition here.

loooney2ns

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Looks like it will be a world phone. The attestation document which was signed in June mentions world compatibility and every page of that document has a header of IHDT46MX1 which is the Bionic ID (so this is definitely not some kind of shared document with something like the Photon which has a different ID). Another note of interest is there are several mentions of June 2001 which is clearly a typo because Motorola was not releasing devices will all these communications capabilities and they were not called Motorola Mobility back then anyway.

Motorola has clearly upped the ante by making a fairly slender phone with LTE and world capabilities. Now I can clearly understand why they were so many delays. After seeing these disclosures I can forgive them. If they unlock the bootloader, this will be a hard phone NOT to choose. The GS2 is looking to have some serious competition here.

We, Motorola Mobility, Inc. declare that CDMA and LTE are the main networks used in the US territory for this product. The WCDMA/GSM network functions have been disabled by the firmware and are SIM locked by all US operators on this product.

It looks like it will be a world phone, but it will have to be unlocked by Verizon in order to use it.

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
So guys , is this true ? the new BIONIC will have GSM capabilities as a World Phone ? (Im not talking LTE)
For real ?
i've tried downloading the "User's Manual" to check by my self , but Im getting "You are not Authorized to this page" message !
I've reed some where that the Manual belongs to the Old BIONIC (CES version) , but that wasn't a GSM phone , LTE but not World
In the other places they : the Manual belongs to the New BIONIC

I need to know before I get an Atrix by the end of the month
Man , a Motorola phone , with a GSM , a 4.3" screen & Dual-Core ! Sign me up ...

Thanks guys , Much appreciated

CalBear96

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
We, Motorola Mobility, Inc. declare that CDMA and LTE are the main networks used in the US territory for this product. The WCDMA/GSM network functions have been disabled by the firmware and are SIM locked by all US operators on this product.

It looks like it will be a world phone, but it will have to be unlocked by Verizon in order to use it.
Does this mean that if you take the phone to the UK and pop in an Orange or O2 or Vodafone SIM in it that is GSM, it will work over there? That would be fantastic. Not as good as being able to just roam, but better than I thought we were going to get.

Reactions: drewfus0929

terrapin01

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Does this mean that if you take the phone to the UK and pop in an Orange or O2 or Vodafone SIM in it that is GSM, it will work over there? That would be fantastic. Not as good as being able to just roam, but better than I thought we were going to get.

That's what that means.

csimme01

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
So what is "cool down mode"
From users manual page 16
In very limited circumstances such as when your phone has been exposed to extreme heat "Cool Down" message screens will appear. To avoid possible damage to your battery and phone, you should follow these instructions until the phone is within its recommended temperature range. When your phone is in cool down mode only emergency calls can be made.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
From users manual page 16
In very limited circumstances such as when your phone has been exposed to extreme heat "Cool Down" message screens will appear. To avoid possible damage to your battery and phone, you should follow these instructions until the phone is within its recommended temperature range. When your phone is in cool down mode only emergency calls can be made.

I can see this "Feature" turning into a real nightmare for some people. Especially people who live in hot climates.

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I can see this "Feature" turning into a real nightmare for some people. Especially people who live in hot climates.

Better that than a cooked phone.

Most of the time we have our phones on us or with us. This could maybe happen if you left your phone in a hot car. Did Motorola specify how hot it had to get for the failsafe to kick in?

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I was afraid at first that I'd end up with carrying around my PSP again ahaha, that thing is just too damn big with the case on it. If they don't unlock it, I'm sure someone will find a way to root it anyways. Not like Motorola will try to fix any roots anymore because they want to unlock their phones anyways. If they do fix any roots then they are ******ed.
Now I'm also glad I waited, this phone will really be up there in the competition. I might convince some Apple fanboys to get something nice.

The phone shouldn't get THAT hot that quickly. This would be like if you're running a million apps while sitting in like an oven or something lol. A hot climate shouldn't render the phone to become overheated. Do you want a burnt hand lol? I can run my laptop in my room during an extremely hot day (at least hot for Santa Barbara if you know what I'm talking about) without it overheating and I can watch that GPU temperature meter just sky rocket when I'm playing Crysis, and get to like 90 C. THAT'S hot...and it almost burns my hand to touch the heatsink.
Also, it will help for those who DO hit that heat point to not have a brick. I don't think it would be fun to be using your phone and it burn your hand and then stop working.

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Only time I'd be concerned about the cooldown feature is when using turn by turn navigation as the phone gets hot on top of me living in Florida. Hopefully they set the temperature that this feature turns on at a pretty high temperature.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Better that than a cooked phone.

Most of the time we have our phones on us or with us. This could maybe happen if you left your phone in a hot car. Did Motorola specify how hot it had to get for the failsafe to kick in?

Leaving the phone in a hot car was the specific thing i was worried about. I wont have this issue myself, but i could see alot of people not reading the manual and leaving the phone in a hot car. Only to come back and seeing it in a cool down mode and flipping out. I work in IT and i know alot of people who are waiting to jump on this phone. Just another thing im sure ill have to deal with at some point.

Plus the feature being there in the first place makes me wonder what kind of temps this phone is capable of producing. My droid 1 gets hot after a decent trip using Nav. Imagine using the Nav, not knowing where you are and having the phone go into a cool down cycle. What a mess that could be.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Only time I'd be concerned about the cooldown feature is when using turn by turn navigation as the phone gets hot on top of me living in Florida. Hopefully they set the temperature that this feature turns on at a pretty high temperature.

I agree 100%. Florida Sun + Turn by turn + windshield mount + LTE = Cooked in no time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta