Does this make you want to hit the brakes on the Bionic?

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
This is regarding the following article.

Ice Cream Sandwich debut moved up to October to compete with the Apple iPhone? - Phone Arena

According to above, Along with saying that ICS is being moved up, so are the first ICS devices. Seeing that this could be a month or so away from the bionics release, anyone thinking about just waiting the extra month and see if this rumor pans out? With all these rumors devices that might be sooner rather then later, the Bionic is becoming a harder 2 year contract by the day.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I plan on checking out the Bionic when it comes out, and if its everything I hope it will be, then I will buy it.

As far as the rumors of what's coming in October...I think my signature pretty much says it all.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah i understand hardware wise something better is always around the corner. But this is also a new operating system i'm talking about. Which is more yearly. In aug i knew i was months away from ICS. Now it might only be a month away from the release in sept. Kinda changes things.

Edit: I also dont see the bionic getting ICS this year, Feb. earliest i bet.

Last edited:

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I will get what phone is the best when I'm ready for an upgrade. Although my upgrade date was 7-21, I must have 4G. There are only three 4G phones currently and I think they're all horrible. I will not wait longer. Bionic will be fine for me. If not then I will sell it for major bucks and buy a different model at retail.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

spectre1006

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
are we sure another dual core phone will be out on vzw? I think this might be the only good dual core LTE phone for this year on vzw

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
are we sure another dual core phone will be out on vzw? I think this might be the only good dual core LTE phone for this year on vzw

I think every major name (HTC, LG, Samsung, Ect) will have a dual core with LTE on the market by the end of the year.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I am going to bet that any other dual core phone except the motorola is going to eat battery life twice as fast. The HTC vigor sounds great but also sounds like it will get hot and have a short battery life. Everybody wants the best of both worlds, a 4.5 inch screen, dual core, long battery life......IMHO the Droid Bionic will be the closest at delivering all of those.

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Google would move up the release of ICS just to compete with the iPhone. Does anybody remember how they moved up Honeycomb's release to compete with the iPad 2? How did that go? Honeycomb is still somewhat buggy. I'd rather Google wait and release ICS when it's actually ready. Gingerbread for phones is pretty stable, why release ICS early with bugs and just make customers angry feeling like they got a beta product? After all, most people that like iPhones will get iPhones, and those that like Android will get Android.

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Google would move up the release of ICS just to compete with the iPhone. Does anybody remember how they moved up Honeycomb's release to compete with the iPad 2? How did that go? Honeycomb is still somewhat buggy. I'd rather Google wait and release ICS when it's actually ready. Gingerbread for phones is pretty stable, why release ICS early with bugs and just make customers angry feeling like they got a beta product? After all, most people that like iPhones will get iPhones, and those that like Android will get Android.

Well, at some point you just have to put a stake in the ground and launch. All software releases with some amount of bugs. The early GB builds were very buggy. It really wasn't until we got to 2.3.3 and later that it became mostly stable.

Reactions: bhop42

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah i understand hardware wise something better is always around the corner. But this is also a new operating system i'm talking about. Which is more yearly. In aug i knew i was months away from ICS. Now it might only be a month away from the release in sept. Kinda changes things.

Edit: I also dont see the bionic getting ICS this year, Feb. earliest i bet.

Even if ICS is out in October, what Verizon Android phones coming out will have it in October? It seems anytime a rumour surfaces, we have to add several months to it...just saying.

But, in answer to your question, no, I am not hitting any "brakes" on my purchase of the Bionic.

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting the best phone available when my girlfriend's Eris dies, or getting the Nexus Prime. Whichever comes first :)

My preference is the Prime or SGS2 if it has LTE, but I'd be perfectly happy with the Bionic if the Eris croaks before we see them.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I think the best thing for you to do is wait. Hopefully, all technological advancements will stop right after it's released so you wont feel like you're missing out on whatever else is coming when you actually get it.

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, at some point you just have to put a stake in the ground and launch. All software releases with some amount of bugs. The early GB builds were very buggy. It really wasn't until we got to 2.3.3 and later that it became mostly stable.

True but I'd rather them wait another month if it's not ready. If they want more people to convert to Android, focus on putting the best product out that's smooth and stable. One of the biggest complaints about Android is some users don't feel it's as smooth as iOS.

tmacfan4321

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
After waiting this long for the Bionic, I can't imagine a scenario where Verizon moves up the release date for any Android phone.

Besides, if Motorola holds up its end of the bootloader bargain, ICS could be ported to the Bionic in no time.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
True but I'd rather them wait another month if it's not ready. If they want more people to convert to Android, focus on putting the best product out that's smooth and stable. One of the biggest complaints about Android is some users don't feel it's as smooth as iOS.

If we waited for everything to be perfected before release, we'd still be rubbing sticks together to make fire.

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't ICS have non capacitive buttons? I don't think Moto would release a version of ICS on a phone with capacitive buttons. But I guess it would be done via hackers..

On another note. I don't think BGR adds anything here. I have a guy who tells me October... That tells me nothing. In my opinion, I haven't seen any credible evidence that ICS will even be out this year on the specs that are being rumored. Other than Google mentioning that they'd like to bring everything to ICS to reduce fragmentation. I haven't seen a decent article that even shows Google selecting a manufacturer. First it was HTC, then Samsung, then LG, then Motorola now we're back to Samsung. And now we expect a phone in 2 months?

The only saving notion may be the HTC Vigor being ICS. But in all likelihood it's going to be Verizon's version of the Sensation...

Has Google even allowed developers and manufacturers test ICS?

I'd love to have some of these questions answered. I just don't feel like getting my hopes up again over nothing. I just predict bionic will be relevant till 2012.

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
ICS does not REQUIRE capacitive hardware buttons. That doesn't mean it won't be compatible with them.

It's no different than phones having/not having a camera button.

No way in hell Google releases a new version of android that doesn't work with recently released devices.

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't ICS have non capacitive buttons? I don't think Moto would release a version of ICS on a phone with capacitive buttons. But I guess it would be done via hackers..

On another note. I don't think BGR adds anything here. I have a guy who tells me October... That tells me nothing. In my opinion, I haven't seen any credible evidence that ICS will even be out this year on the specs that are being rumored. Other than Google mentioning that they'd like to bring everything to ICS to reduce fragmentation. I haven't seen a decent article that even shows Google selecting a manufacturer. First it was HTC, then Samsung, then LG, then Motorola now we're back to Samsung. And now we expect a phone in 2 months?

The only saving notion may be the HTC Vigor being ICS. But in all likelihood it's going to be Verizon's version of the Sensation...

Has Google even allowed developers and manufacturers test ICS?

I'd love to have some of these questions answered. I just don't feel like getting my hopes up again over nothing. I just predict bionic will be relevant till 2012.
I'm pretty sure ICS will still be backwards compatible with phones that have capacitive buttons or else ICS will create MORE fragmentation, not reduce it. Also the Nexus S has capacitive buttons and I would expect it to get ICS at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac