Mobile Hotspot

SpaceCracker

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I am getting the Bionic when it comes out. I know I will be getting grandfathered in with the unlimited data but what about the mobile hotspot. I read in a few places that it would cost me 30 dollars for unlimited use on top of me already paying 30 for unlimited phone data. Anyone know?

JStrider

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea how it is priced, haven't looked into it at all. But I really find that to be a super cool technology, now you can have wireless internet for all your devices while on a road trip!

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I currently use PDAnet on my Droid to avoid charges... Can this be done with phones other than OG Droid? the Hotspot feature for $30 dollars is one fee I am openly against. Tiered data/unlimited data that's fine, but charging what medium you use for the data you already pay for? That's just flat out ridiculous. It's like when ISPs found out people were using routers to split their modem and trying to make everyone buy a modem for each computer. What a bunch of nonsense that was.

I hope charges for hotspots goes the same route. Now we can happily have one modem hooked to many computers, as it should be for phones as well.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Tethering is an additional charge. And I believe that it's limited to 5GB, not unlimited. But would have to verify. I really don't like charging additional for tethering, especially when using tiered data plans, but that's how Verizon (and others) are playing the game.

Also, once a method for rooting the device is created, you can root and tether without the additional cost, but you would do so at your own risk. Verizon is said to be cracking down more on unauthorized tethering.

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Though I know the sentiment is that even though Google owning Motomobo won't show any changes for a considerable amount of time. But there has to be some added incentive to buy a moto device now, considering Google's firm stance on an open, unlocked OS. So I'll happily pick up a moto/nexus device knowing that some day soon they will be unlocked and we won't have to kneel down to some of Big Red's ridiculous fees or bloatware.

BarryManilow

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
If you were grandfathered in with unlimited data you can get the unlimited 4 g mobile hotspot for 30. It was confirmed via the vzwsupport twitter in july

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I currently use PDAnet on my Droid to avoid charges... Can this be done with phones other than OG Droid? the Hotspot feature for $30 dollars is one fee I am openly against. Tiered data/unlimited data that's fine, but charging what medium you use for the data you already pay for? That's just flat out ridiculous. It's like when ISPs found out people were using routers to split their modem and trying to make everyone buy a modem for each computer. What a bunch of nonsense that was.

I hope charges for hotspots goes the same route. Now we can happily have one modem hooked to many computers, as it should be for phones as well.

I don't like charging for both either. But the best argument that I have heard on why they do it is that the pricing and tiered models and network support structure are based on an expected data throughput for a single device. Once you start adding devices connected through a single hotspot, the throughput increases significantly, thereby putting an additional load on the network that does not match up with the assumed/established pricing model. So, in an attempt to somewhat limit this activity (and keep throughput more manageable), a separate charge is a incurred for tethering. The counter-argument is that this really shouldn't happen with tiered pricing structures as the tiers (and their associated cost) should account for this activity.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I have to get this stupid tiered plan now, which I'm not happy about, why should I have to pay another $30 to be able to use the hotspot feature? It does't make sense. It's just a cheap way of making money, and yet another thing that hackers have gotten past. When will companies learn that there's always to get past your little fees using your technology. Only thing they haven't gotten to yet is how to get free data :p

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't like charging for both either. But the best argument that I have heard on why they do it is that the pricing and tiered models and network support structure are based on an expected data throughput for a single device. Once you start adding devices connected through a single hotspot, the throughput increases significantly, thereby putting an additional load on the network that does not match up with the assumed/established pricing model. So, in an attempt to somewhat limit this activity (and keep throughput more manageable), a separate charge is a incurred for tethering. The counter-argument is that this really shouldn't happen with tiered pricing structures as the tiers (and their associated cost) should account for this activity.

That does make a good deal of sense. But like you said in the tiered data structure, this should be accounted for. And technically with the unlimited data structure as well what with Verizon's confirmed throttling technique for users who are in the top percentile of data usage.

Like you said, it should be accounted for and Verizon is charging $30 unjustified in most of our opinions. I just wish they would cut us a break, they're already the most expensive network... haha

Edit: But what about USB Tethering? That shouldn't change anything, it's essentially use 1 device. Is that also $30 dollars or month or does the $30 dollars affect only the wifi (mobile hotspot) feature of the phone. In which case, I'd just be happy to have the USB tethered to once device (laptop) for free.

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Tethering costs you an additional $30 a month now. That was the only Feature on my Blackberry Storm that I really enjoyed, Tethering was free. Plug my laptop in anywhere and away I go. Once Android hit, that went away.
What I still am unsure of is the additional cost of the laptop dock? If I buy the Lapdock, plug my phone into it to use the bigger screen, I have to pay an additional $30 a month for using the web access on my phone??

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Tethering costs you an additional $30 a month now. That was the only Feature on my Blackberry Storm that I really enjoyed, Tethering was free. Plug my laptop in anywhere and away I go. Once Android hit, that went away.
What I still am unsure of is the additional cost of the laptop dock? If I buy the Lapdock, plug my phone into it to use the bigger screen, I have to pay an additional $30 a month for using the web access on my phone??

I don't think anyone knows for sure yet, but that is what AT&T did with the Atrix Lapdock.

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Usb or wireless tether cost $30. Of course you could use something like pdanet or easytether for free going against verizons tos. To wireless tether the phone must be rooted or altered in some way. Last I remember normal data use on the phone was unlimited but the $30 tethering charge had a 5GB cap.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
The rumor was $30 for unlimited 4g hotspot. 3g has a cap, but for some reason the grandfathered unlimited plans would be able to get the unlimited 4g hotspot too.

Seems too good to be true, but if it is true, I was considering this for home internet. I live in the country with great 4g signal, but no wired internet providers.

Sent from my DROIDX

tmacfan4321

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
You can still tether for free with Android. Trust me, I do it all the time on my rooted Dinc.

kalytn

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Verizon and AT&T are now blocking unauthorized tethering, here is a link to an article that talks about it. Verizon blocks unlicensed tethering, insists it can charge extra

As for paying for tethering, currently I pay $20 for 2GB for my Samsung Fascinate. I was told if I had a 4G capable phone that I can still get the $30 unlimited tethering. I also have a grandfathered in 3G unlimited air card and was told if I upgraded to the 4g one, I lose my unlimited plan on the card. So I am going to upgrade my tethering on my new 4g phone and keep my 3g air card for other uses.

In other words... Stupid plans are made to confuse people and get as much money as possible. I don't know how non-techie people get through these things... :mad:

tmacfan4321

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I still don't understand how Verizon is allowed to block tethering apps after they purchased spectrum for LTE. It seems to me like they are in complete violation of what the FCC's stipulations were when the auction was happening.

On the common sense side of things, why should I pay twice for a data plan? I paid for the data; why should Verizon get to say what devices of mine are allowed to consume it? Verizon communications doesn't do the same thing with their home internet services.

Not for long. Verizon's cracking down on this pretty hard.
CM7 tethering was working fine for me last week. I was playing FIFA 10 versus some Mexicans on Xbox Live. I guess that's the only time that my connection will be worse than theirs. I'll try it again sometime soon.

Last edited: