Pics of Bionic next to...Droid HD?!

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly 2nd Gen LTE chips will be available mid 2012. How true this is I don't know. That info comes from people familiar with the tech.

Sent from my Droid

Reactions: kca2000

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
The problem is the ONLY thing you know about the HD is that it's thinner. You don't have ONE other spec.

I'm not waiting on that basis.

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
The problem is the ONLY thing you know about the HD is that it's thinner. You don't have ONE other spec.

I'm not waiting on that basis.

But.. but.. it LOOKS like a 10.1" Screen with next-gen octa-core OMAP-16 cpu with 4gb of RAM, 32gb internal storage and 32gb MicroSD, all without a notification LED. :)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Here's a question: original bionic (etna) was built to be on vzw's 4G LTE.. When scrapped (dinara pushed up.. Am I right so far?) one of the reasons given was moto was rebuilding their own LTE chip.. So if you follow where I'm going, would it be inaccurate to say that the LTE chips coming in the bionic are technically 2nd gen? I don't see why not, unless I'm just ignorant to some specific definition of 2ng gen?

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
The LTE Chip that Motorola is making, in my mind, would still be first gen, cuz its their first and all within the same timeframe as other LTE chips currently out. Now if Motorola and/or Qualcom come up with a faster LTE chip (key being faster, not just newer) then id consider it next-gen.

EDIT: I take that back, a little. It can't just be faster. Lets compare these LTE Chips to Processors for computers. There are CPU's ranging from 1.6ghz to 3.4ghz, all using the same base for the tech. The architecture would have to change significantly to really be next-gen. (I dont count die shrinks as next-gen, though some may)

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Here's a question: original bionic (etna) was built to be on vzw's 4G LTE.. When scrapped (dinara pushed up.. Am I right so far?) one of the reasons given was moto was rebuilding their own LTE chip.. So if you follow where I'm going, would it be inaccurate to say that the LTE chips coming in the bionic are technically 2nd gen? I don't see why not, unless I'm just ignorant to some specific definition of 2ng gen?

no, it was the Targa that became the Bionic. The Dinara is still in development, and won't be released for a while (maybe on vzw, but most think it will be at&t).

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The LTE Chip that Motorola is making, in my mind, would still be first gen, cuz its their first and all within the same timeframe as other LTE chips currently out. Now if Motorola and/or Qualcom come up with a faster LTE chip (key being faster, not just newer) then id consider it next-gen.

EDIT: I take that back, a little. It can't just be faster. Lets compare these LTE Chips to Processors for computers. There are CPU's ranging from 1.6ghz to 3.4ghz, all using the same base for the tech. The architecture would have to change significantly to really be next-gen. (I dont count die shrinks as next-gen, though some may)

LTE chips don't work like processors. Just because they're newer generation doesn't mean they get faster. (The speed is constrained by the NETWORK not the chip in this case) What DOES happen, is that the chips get significantly smaller and more power efficient.

Reactions: kca2000

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

I hate to tell you, but by your definition there will likely never be a next gen LTE chip. The next improvements for LTE chips will be either size or power management or likely both. The improvement after that will be size or power management or both. There will be things like lowering intereference, better connectivity(as in less disconnects or more "bars") but no Chip will increase LTE speed. That's a network thing, not a chip thing.

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
No LTE phone is worth it to me until we see Krait plus SLCD (non pentile) in either qHD or 720p resolution, 2 gb ram.

That includes the Nexus.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok but aren't the chips moto designed for the bionic, compared to its first iteration, *supposed* to be smaller/ more power efficient/faster.. I'm saying compared to the LTE chips found in the original bionic would they not be considered 2nd gen? Just cuz they were redesigned, supposedly, from the ground up to fit those criteria?

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok but aren't the chips moto designed for the bionic, compared to its first iteration, *supposed* to be smaller/ more power efficient/faster.. I'm saying compared to the LTE chips found in the original bionic would they not be considered 2nd gen? Just cuz they were redesigned, supposedly, from the ground up to fit those criteria?

I dont think moto designs chips. More the other way around. I think they build phones around radios from other manufacturers. (Qualcomm maybe?) Personally I dont care what "Generation" they call it. If its smaller and more power efficient thats fine with me. This will allow for slimmer LTE phones and better battery life.

snowboard052

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I dont think moto designs chips. More the other way around. I think they build phones around radios from other manufacturers. (Qualcomm maybe?) Personally I dont care what "Generation" they call it. If its smaller and more power efficient thats fine with me. This will allow for slimmer LTE phones and better battery life.
moto designed their own chip/radio for this phone i believe and i think for here on out, not sure if they started with the chips for this phone or some other previous one

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

We don't know if its smaller, but the new chip is said to be more efficient, and, again, LTE chips aren't "faster" the speed is based on the networks. There are factors that are phone related, but its not accurate to say that the LTE chip is faster.
Its a newer chip, but I don't think it is considered 2nd gen because its moto's first LTE chip. But we shouldn't just look at what generation it technically is, the bottom line is that it has advantages over the previous chips.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
He speaks! And it's interesting...
Originally Posted by wnrussell
Amen. My friend moved to Sammy. Nobody is excited about Bionic. HD will be worth the wait.

That's amazing! not too long ago he said the bionic will be worth the wait. If I had to guess I would guess that he will say that whatever is coming after the HD will be worth the wait.
I'll listen to wnrussell in regards to what is coming out and when, but I'm not gonna go by anyone's opinion of what to be excited about or what is worth the wait. I'll decide that for myself.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
That's amazing! not too long ago he said the bionic will be worth the wait. If I had to guess I would guess that he will say that whatever is coming after the HD will be worth the wait.
I'll listen to wnrussell in regards to what is coming out and when, but I'm not gonna go by anyone's opinion of what to be excited about or what is worth the wait. I'll decide that for myself.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Didnt one of the insiders say the Bionic is worth the wait some months ago? lol

I hate technology....

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
He speaks! And it's interesting...

What a bunch of DOOKIE!!! This is getting rediculous... I just want to know what the HD is going to be so I can make a decision when the Bionic is released next Thursday!!! (if the 9/8 date is correct and there are pre-orders).

mapexonly

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Everyone is going crazy over this bionic vs hd thing its crazy. I realize everyone wants a new phone and everyone wants the beat phone and that everyone thinks whatever carrier/brand/phone they want is the best. Now it seems everyone likes to push their beliefs on others but why? If you are that insane over the phone to begin with and everyone gets one and there is no one else in the world to belittle because everyone has the phone you are no longer going to be happy. You seem to want the phone exclusively to yourself or group of buddies who you think know more than the rest of the consumers in the world so you can make snarky comments and just to put it bluntly "be a douche". Check this out I enjoy the bionic and hey the hd looks great but I'm due for an upgrade and have been waiting a year come hell or high water the bionic is mine and I dare anyone to get in my way. I'm not going to go into detail talking about how much better it is than every phone because I look like a big sack of peni in 2 Weeks when the next phone comes out. No phone is "better" than any phone its all preference lets keep it cool around here folks and CALM DOWN

Reactions: jroc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes