Microsoft Sued Motorola Today

DF400ex

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Is this really a surprise? Motorola Mobility is about to be Google so it seems like a logical next step for the patten trolls. Instead of competing, Apple and Microsoft are just trying to make it too expensive to make Android phones.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Is this really a surprise? Motorola Mobility is about to be Google so it seems like a logical next step for the patten trolls. Instead of competing, Apple and Microsoft are just trying to make it too expensive to make Android phones.
Here's the problem. If Microsoft wins the injunction in November, that will stop Motorola from shipping devices to the US.

DF400ex

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Here's the problem. If Microsoft wins the injunction in November, that will stop Motorola from shipping devices to the US.

The articles linked above allude the the fact that Moto's patents are really quite powerful and may be enough to make Microsoft and Apple back off. Who knows. It'll be interesting to see how the patent trolling evolve and what the catalyst is to finally end it. It will probably end with some sort of mass cross licensing agreement or a stalemate.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Is this a new lawsuit? They were already locked in one where Google took exception to MS and something about Android's source code.

Mighty coincidence that after reading that article...Google puts in a bid to buy Motorola Mobility. And now this?

Or is this part of the one they already have going on?

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Is this a new lawsuit? They were already locked in one where Google took exception to MS and something about Android's source code.

Mighty coincidence that after reading that article...Google puts in a bid to buy Motorola Mobility. And now this?

Or is this part of the one they already have going on?
new

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
I, in no way, really understand all the patent stuff. Can someone dumb down what it is exactly that M$ is suing Motorola over ? My understanding (very limited) of a patent is the rights over the design/idea of creating something. If you want to use my design, you must pay. Is Moto Mobility supposedly doing something they shouldn't be?

Brian

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I, in no way, really understand all the patent stuff. Can someone dumb down what it is exactly that M$ is suing Motorola over ? My understanding (very limited) of a patent is the rights over the design/idea of creating something. If you want to use my design, you must pay. Is Moto Mobility supposedly doing something they shouldn't be?

Brian
They are all suing each other for basically the entire design. Pieces at a time. To me it's all a bunch of crap. It would be like Samsung suing Sony for a TV design. We all know that no company will be successful ultimately to prevent competition, but at this point the companies with deep pockets, aka Microsoft and Apple, are trying to put the Android phone makers out of business b/c they have less money than Google (with the possible exception of Samsung). That is one of the major reasons why Google purchased Motorola. All of this started with Apple. Jobs is still pissed at Gates. Think about this. The patents that Motorola has presumably could try to block anyone from making any mobile phone without compensation. Obviously absurd, but that is how Apple, and now Microsoft have chosen to compete.