1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 32G SD Card and Preorder Question.

Just wondering if we should be calling after midnight tomorrow to try and preorder the Bionic or do we have to wait for an official announcement?

Also I was looking into some 32g Micro SD cards and wondering if anyone knows currently what is the best one? I seem to run across a lot of old reviews from 2010 and I'm looking for current info. I found an ADATA Class 10 card but the people reviewing it said its R/W speeds were that of a Class 2, so I guess regardless of class I'm looking for the best ACTUAL performance, not "rated". With the phone recording in 1080p and supposing it will take nice pictures I want to make sure I get a fast card.
    Last edited by Dkdude; 08-30-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Default Re: 32G SD Card and Preorder Question.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkdude View Post
    Just wondering if we should be calling after midnight tomorrow to try and preorder the Bionic or do we have to wait for an official announcement?

Also I was looking into some 32g Micro SD cards and wondering if anyone knows currently what is the best one? I seem to run across a lot of old reviews from 2010 and I'm looking for current info. I found an ADATA Class 10 card but the people reviewing it said its R/W speeds were that of a Class 2, so I guess regardless of class I'm looking for the best ACTUAL performance, not "rated". With the phone recording in 1080p and supposing it will take nice pictures I want to make sure I get a fast card.
    Others may disagree, but in my experience in phones an other devices, SanDisk brand class 4 or lower is what is desired. I do not buy other brands, no need to.
    Judgement Day is upon us!!!!.. Bionic has gone online and became self-aware.. awaiting destruction in 3..2..

I was told that class 10 is the best for cell phones.

ROM
    AOKP JB

Quote Originally Posted by Dkdude View Post

I'm sure the 16GB card that comes with it should be fast enough to record in 1080p. If it isn't, then Motorola just FAILED.
    I wouldn't call in until we see an official announcement, because it's possible we won't see pre-orders until next week. We never know if we're right.
    There's a new phone that will run Crysis on Ultra at 120 fps on a 2160p display that's coming out 3 months after you buy your next phone.

I actually have 2 32GB microSD cards. One of them I bought back when I had my OG Droid, the other I got when I bought my Thunderbolt. They are rated class 2 and class 4. I think the class rating signifies the read/write rate of the card. The higher the number the better. I am not so sure you will see much of a benefit though from anything over a class 4 card in a phone but I could be wrong.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Ya the class refers to the R/W speeds but it seems that some brands aren't actually as fast.

I've always used Sandisk cards and never had any problems with them.

I have a Lexar 16 Gig class 6 and I love it. It's so much faster to copy to than the class 2 SanDisk that came in my X. That's not a hit against SanDisk (they make great cards), just that the higher class is much faster. It can come into play when recording HD video more than anywhere else. Ever make a video that wouldn't play back when you went to look at it? That's most likely caused by a card that was too slow under the current conditions. Meaning that under perfect conditions the recording would have worked fine (so the manufacturers sign off on using the slower card), but if your phone happens to be doing other things that access your card while your trying to write a video file to it, it can't handle all the data access and craps out.

If you want a good card, expect to pay good money. If you're checking ebay for the best prices and find a great deal, your likely buying a knock off (counterfeit) that is really just a class 2 with phoney branding. Also, stick with a solid name brand, like SanDisk or Lexar.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    nrk

ROM
    Kin3tx

I would recommend a Class 4 at least if you plan to do any 1080p video recording. Obviously if you feel the need to invest in a higher one go for it, but I think you're getting pretty good value for what you get for a Class 4 card.
    I'd bet Cory's arm on it!
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,517 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Class 6 is the fastest android reads Wrights. Class 10 is good on laptop.
    Thanked by:
    nrk 

ROM
    Project Elite OG

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Class 6 is the fastest android reads Wrights. Class 10 is good on laptop.
    I have a class 6 and my original droid and it was significantly slower transferring my music to it via usb cable versus putting the sd card directly into my laptop.

In the "Went to Verizon Store--Got Employee Bionic Swag " thread, it said "we have confirmation of 32GB of memory out of the box". Everything else I heard seemed to point to 16GB????
    Don't call me a nerd

ROM
    Bugless Beast

Quote Originally Posted by juergen99 View Post
    In the "Went to Verizon Store--Got Employee Bionic Swag " thread, it said "we have confirmation of 32GB of memory out of the box". Everything else I heard seemed to point to 16GB????
    16 internal + 16 microSD = 32 total
    Thanked by:

So a pre-order tomorrow (crossing fingers) would have a delivery ... ? On the 8th? A day earlier?
    nrk

ROM
    Kin3tx

Quote Originally Posted by TeeSquar View Post
    So a pre-order tomorrow (crossing fingers) would have a delivery ... ? On the 8th? A day earlier?
    It's not 100% certain, but they have in the past done free overnight direct-fill, meaning by Friday the 2nd or Sat the 3rd. Hope thats the case.
    I'd bet Cory's arm on it!
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by nrk View Post
    It's not 100% certain, but they have in the past done free overnight direct-fill, meaning by Friday the 2nd or Sat the 3rd. Hope thats the case.
    When I preordered my Storm2, it was delivered the next day...there is usually an Overnite code you must put in the shipping area...it is something like OVRNITE - I saw it on their website a few days ago. I am hoping to order it tommorrow (morning at 12:15 AM tonight) or at noon, and getting it on friday!
    Cory

Quote Originally Posted by corymcnutt View Post
    When I preordered my Storm2, it was delivered the next day...there is usually an Overnite code you must put in the shipping area...it is something like OVRNITE - I saw it on their website a few days ago. I am hoping to order it tommorrow (morning at 12:15 AM tonight) or at noon, and getting it on friday!
    thats my plan too, we'll see

Just ordered my SanDisk 32gb Class 4 card from NewEgg, should have it early next week. I hardly use my SD Card so Class 10 isn't worth it to me. I have zero apps 'moved to SD Card' on my OG Droid and just use the SD Card for Nandroid backups, update.zip versions, etc.. lol I guess thats where the video gets recorded also, but I rarely record video.
    Judgement Day is upon us!!!!.. Bionic has gone online and became self-aware.. awaiting destruction in 3..2..

Quote Originally Posted by nrk View Post
    I purchased a class 10 card in anticipationof getting the Bionic about two weeks ago @ Best Buy. It was cheaper than the class 4. I usually buy Sandisk but this one was PNY. Is one brand better than the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy3 View Post
    I purchased a class 10 card in anticipationof getting the Bionic about two weeks ago @ Best Buy. It was cheaper than the class 4. I usually buy Sandisk but this one was PNY. Is one brand better than the other?
    Yes?

It really depends on the brand, quality, performance vs expected performance, etc... A bunch of class 10 cards are being found to only perform as well as a class 4. I was doing research today and felt most comfortable with the SanDisk class 4 vs taking a chance on any class 10 for even more $$. My reasons are different though, I dont do much but store stuff on my SD Card, no heavy reading/writing on it so class 4 shouldn't really slow me down at all.