$100 back from Verizon for upgrading from basic to smartphone

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
So I saw that Verizon has a deal for trading in a basic phone if you buy a smartphone. Obviously, as long as the deal lasts, it should work for the Bionic next week. Just want to point that out to anyone like me that has a crappy basic phone and is finally jumping to a smartphone (which I should've done 2 years ago lol). And hopefully what they're saying is true and they'll give me $100 for my old Chocolate, that means I'd just go ahead and buy it from Verizon direct and get that $100 towards my next purchase, the Bionic. So I'd get the Bionic at $200 rather than $300 on a two year contract.

Last edited:

Frankie15

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: $100 back from Verizon from upgrading from basic to smartphon

Unfortunately, I don't think it works like that. You need to upgrade to the smartphone first and then Verizon will give you a PIN/promo code which you type into this website.

https://www.trade-in.vzw.com/home.aspx

I'm assumung the PIN/promo code is what will bypass your phones initial value in order to give you $100. It says you would receive your gift card within 3-4 weeks.

Brownsfan88

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

I believe its a $100 gift card AFTER you buy your Bionic and sign the 2 year deal. So its effectively a $300 phone with $100 of free accessories.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site

They had something similar back in the day as well. I remember getting 100$ credit on my Treo 650 back when that came out because i was coming from a flip. Good to see they are offering it again.

I never noticed you had a chocolate till now. The Bionic is going to change your life. Lol

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site

They had something similar back in the day as well. I remember getting 100$ credit on my Treo 650 back when that came out because i was coming from a flip. Good to see they are offering it again.

I never noticed you had a chocolate till now. The Bionic is going to change your life. Lol

You have no clue lol.

I believe its a $100 gift card AFTER you buy your Bionic and sign the 2 year deal. So its effectively a $300 phone with $100 of free accessories.

Does this mean I could still trade my phone in if I don't buy it at Verizon though? I might just send in my phone just get rid of it, but without a PIN number or something I'd end up getting $1.

Last edited:

Frankie15

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

You have no clue lol.

Some people are saying it will be towards accessories, does this mean I could still trade my phone in if I don't buy it at Verizon though? I might just send in my phone just get rid of it, if I ever need a backup phone I have an even older Chocolate lol.

Can you use a basic phone as a backup if you have a smartphone? I don't believe you can, but I could be wrong.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site

Can you use a basic phone as a backup if you have a smartphone? I don't believe you can, but I could be wrong.

I think I personally can because I wouldn't lose anything. The only reason you can't fall back on a basic phone is you'll lose your data plan, which I will have the 2GB plan anyways, I can just reset it.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site

In my experience you can use any modern phone as a backup. But ive only used 3 so i could be wrong as well. Maybe there are limitations?

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site

You have no clue lol.

Some people are saying it will be towards accessories, does this mean I could still trade my phone in if I don't buy it at Verizon though? I might just send in my phone just get rid of it, if I ever need a backup phone I have an even older Chocolate lol.

If this is a deal Verizon itself is running you might be limited to the Corporate stores.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site

If this is a deal Verizon itself is running you might be limited to the Corporate stores.

That's what I'm afraid of. But getting $50-80 off the actual price at Verizon WITH an awesome warranty sounds like a good trade-off for a $100 gift card from Verizon that I could really only use on accessories. Plus I could go and get all those accessories for cheaper at Costco for the same price as just buying the phone.

Tyyyy

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Yea but usually Verizon rebate cards are in the form of credit cards that are accepted anywhere. So it would be 100 dollars back to use anywhere on anything. You wouldn't be stuck having to use it at Verizon on accessories.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Yea but usually Verizon rebate cards are in the form of credit cards that are accepted anywhere. So it would be 100 dollars back to use anywhere on anything. You wouldn't be stuck having to use it at Verizon on accessories.

That would make it a little more interesting, but we all know I'd spend it on my new toy anyways ahaha.

dash813

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

yaaaaa, noo......

its not a rebate card, its a gift card, I can't find the page right now but i read the fine print. says u can only use it at corporate stores and vzw online

Aioka

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
yaaaaa, noo......

its not a rebate card, its a gift card, I can't find the page right now but i read the fine print. says u can only use it at corporate stores and vzw online

When i got mine (be it a few years ago now) it was a VZW only card however you could put the amount towards your monthly bill if you wanted to.

slvrdrgn123

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Quick question on this. Can I upgrade a line on my plan that isn't a smartphone to get the $100 then use the phone on my line afterwards?

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Quick question on this. Can I upgrade a line on my plan that isn't a smartphone to get the $100 then use the phone on my line afterwards?

I don't see why not. Just a word of caution... I just called Verizon to see if I can jump on this promotion for my wife. (Her contract ends on 5/22/12). They said the promo is only valid for customers whose contract ends before 12/31/11.

slvrdrgn123

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Cool, sounds good. All our contracts have ended so that should be no problem. I just hope they don't make me activate it right away on the line I don't want it on since it doesn't have a data plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781