Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

ROM
    Project Elite OG

Psome people get carried away with these test. Same with computers. These are called synthectic benchmarks. They rarely show real world performance. Some apps with run better with cpu A. Some will run better with cpu B.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    10,399 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Default Re: Thoughts after using Bionic plus pictures

Quote Originally Posted by tdizzel View Post
    Clock speed isn't everything. It hasn't been since somewhere around 2003
    For a non-phone example, my desktop computer has an AMD Phenom dual core clocked at 2.6 Ghz. My laptop has a core i3 clocked at 2.1 Ghz, and yep, my laptop is faster than my desktop.
    It is all good, I never said it was everything did I? Now that has settled, I know clock speed is a component of performance. Bus speed, Ram, Triangular base also influence performance, along with the OS, and the nature of the APP, or permissions an app may have. I just think you jumped the gun with "clock speed means nothing." and I know it does because I built an ASUS gaming PC last year, and the chip on the mother board DID play a factor. You and I clearly look at guts differently. I could clock my OG droid at almost 1Ghz more than it was built for. My X will never run stable at 2Ghz. The chip architecture does matter to me. But that is my preference.

Quote Originally Posted by dcdevito View Post
    Clock speed alone, no. Chipset (dual-core), clock speed, RAM, GPU - then yes - add it all up and yes it does matter. We all know that if a newer phone comes out in 3 weeks while we're all rocking our Bionics we'll all have phone envy. That's what being a phone geek is all about. Otherwise you wouldn't be on this thread.
    I come to the forums to read/learn about phones and what can be done with them. I'm always curious about what is coming up next, but that doesn't mean I'll have phone envy. A friend of mine has a Photon, and that is the first phone I've had envy over. Til then I was perfectly happy with my OG Droid. I wasn't jealous of the specs, but when I got to play with it I wanted one
    I just think people put too much stock in specs. I've read about people who don't want the Bionic because they want to wait for a quad core phone. There isn't anything that takes advantage of dual core yet, but people want something with better specs. it just doesn't make sense to me. If it runs great, who cares how you label it(other than iPhone people, but lets not go there please)
    I customized my signature using Motomaker

Global Posts
    10,399 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by wseyller View Post
    Psome people get carried away with these test. Same with computers. These are called synthectic benchmarks. They rarely show real world performance. Some apps with run better with cpu A. Some will run better with cpu B.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    This is true and a reason some kernels run better volted up or down while the same kernels crash other devices.
    Thanked by:
    jroc 

We can't use the full potential of any dual-core phone anyway, so moot points all around!

Okay - but at least agree with me when I say that if the Bionic comes in with a Quadrant score of 3000 you won't get all hyped up over it?!
    Ha Ha, sure it is fun to see. I really got a kick out of getting my OG Droid Quadrant score up to almost 1600, it was exciting. I am just saying that, by itself, a better or worse quadrant score does not prove which phone is better or worse or by what degree - although, every time I am able to squeeze my droid up past other phones I look at the list and think "you suck!" to the phones below it.

Have fun with it, but keep in mind that these scores are really not that black and white as a guide.

Global Posts
    10,399 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

I know - that's what I'm saying. It's a HUGE difference. If I don't overclock my OG then it runs Gingerbread like crap. 50% difference is a hell of a difference.
    hell yes it is.

Global Posts
    10,399 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by irl Panda View Post
    We can't use the full potential of any dual-core phone anyway, so moot points all around!
    the voice of reason.
    Banned

ROM
    Pete Alfonso's GPA17

Quote Originally Posted by irl Panda View Post
    You're a numbers consumer, which isn't a good idea. ESPECIALLY when it comes to technology. The phone coming out after the Bionic is the Vigor, and I definitely don't look at that phone with envy!
    No I'm not, I'm an informed consumer - just like you, hence where we are. Specs aren't the only thing to me, but it's a starting point nonetheless. This is what my next phone has to be\has:

1. Dual-core 1GHz+
    2. 1GB RAM
    3. LTE
    4. Big battery
    5. Bright screen
    6. Smooth UI - no lags, bugs or jerkiness
    7. Some added security features
    8. Better exchange support
    9. no crapware - hey a boy can dream.
    10. HDMI + mirroring
    11. unlocked bootloader

We'll see how the Bionic delivers. I'm always skeptical of MotoBlur.
    elrinfaer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    It is all good, I never said it was everything did I? Now that has settled, I know clock speed is a component of performance. Bus speed, Ram, Triangular base also influence performance, along with the OS, and the nature of the APP, or permissions an app may have. I just think you jumped the gun with "clock speed means nothing." and I know it does because I built an ASUS gaming PC last year, and the chip on the mother board DID play a factor. You and I clearly look at guts differently. I could clock my OG droid at almost 1Ghz more than it was built for. My X will never run stable at 2Ghz. The chip architecture does matter to me. But that is my preference.
    I never said "clock speed means nothing" I said it wasn't everything. Big difference. The assumption that a phone will run faster just because it has a 1.5 Ghz processor vs one with a 1 Ghz processor is faulty because there are so many other factors. How well would your gaming PC run if you put Windows 95 on it?
    It may be that it does run faster, but saying that it definitely will just isn't true.
    todieforlife likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    I really don't think you can compare the OG to a DX in terms of stable OCing. The OG was completely unlocked, the DX is not, so no custom kernels. I'm pretty sure that if the DX was unlocked, you'd be able to OC it at a higher speed.
    Banned

ROM
    Pete Alfonso's GPA17

Quote Originally Posted by GBH2 View Post
    Ha Ha, sure it is fun to see. I really got a kick out of getting my OG Droid Quadrant score up to almost 1600, it was exciting. I am just saying that, by itself, a better or worse quadrant score does not prove which phone is better or worse or by what degree - although, every time I am able to squeeze my droid up past other phones I look at the list and think "you suck!" to the phones below it.

Have fun with it, but keep in mind that these scores are really not that black and white as a guide.
    Agreed. Now let's go get our Bionics already.

No I'm not, I'm an informed consumer - just like you, hence where we are. Specs aren't the only thing to me, but it's a starting point nonetheless. This is what my next phone has to be\has:

1. Dual-core 1GHz+
    2. 1GB RAM
    3. LTE
    4. Big battery
    5. Bright screen
    10. HDMI + mirroring
    11. unlocked bootloader

this is the kind of post that makes good sense. Knowing what you want and basing your purchase on that is what any smart consumer will do.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyNovaLN View Post
    By the way, regarding the LapDock. I just sent an e-mail directly to the salesman I'm working with at VZW Corporate to see if I can get confirmation of whether its truely just an accessory or if its going to require some sort of 'monthly fee' to use it. Hopefully he can come through.

Well THAT was not something I wanted to see as a reply from my VZW Sales rep....

"I don't have specific detail yet, but I expect that a feature (ie; additional charges) will be required to use the Lapdock."

Man I hope he is wrong.
    Judgement Day is upon us!!!!.. Bionic has gone online and became self-aware.. awaiting destruction in 3..2..
    Banned

ROM
    Pete Alfonso's GPA17

Well THAT was not something I wanted to see as a reply from my VZW Sales rep....

"I don't have specific detail yet, but I expect that a feature (ie; additional charges) will be required to use the Lapdock."

Man I hope he is wrong.
    Yeah that would be bad - but unless it's 10x better than the Atrix dock it's not worth it. Someone at my job has the Atrix dock and it's eh - okay, but not worth $299. It certainly wouldn't be worth a hill of beans if we had to pay a reoccurring service fee.

1. Dual-core 1GHz+
    2. 1GB RAM
    3. LTE
    4. Big battery
    5. Bright screen
    10. HDMI + mirroring
    11. unlocked bootloader

Heck, why stop there? Why not 2GB of ram, a true 720p HD screen, 32gigs of internal storage AND a 32gig sdcard, 10 days of battery life with heavy usage, a thinner profile, the ability to get your groceries, make your bed... That's what I'm holding out for.
    DieselDre2K likes this.

Yeah that would be bad - but unless it's 10x better than the Atrix dock it's not worth it. Someone at my job has the Atrix dock and it's eh - okay, but not worth $299. It certainly wouldn't be worth a hill of beans if we had to pay a reoccurring service fee.
    I'd still use it, but it just depends if its literally a 'feature' cost. If it was only $2-3 a month like it is to have Visual Voicemail... then maybe I could tolerate the cost but if its $15+ per month i'd be a little annoyed as I still am not convinced they should charge you for making your screen bigger with a keyboard/touchpad.
    Judgement Day is upon us!!!!.. Bionic has gone online and became self-aware.. awaiting destruction in 3..2..

Global Posts
    10,399 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by kishin14 View Post
    I really don't think you can compare the OG to a DX in terms of stable OCing. The OG was completely unlocked, the DX is not, so no custom kernels. I'm pretty sure that if the DX was unlocked, you'd be able to OC it at a higher speed.
    Good point, and my does this clock speed become more relevant every time!

Man I hope he is wrong.
    Do they just not want to sell those things? You'd think they'd make them reasonably priced and not charge extra as a "feature" then once everyone became dependent on them they would slowly up the price. Don't they pay any attention to cable companies?
    Don't call me a nerd

ROM
    Bugless Beast

I'd still use it, but it just depends if its literally a 'feature' cost. If it was only $2-3 a month like it is to have Visual Voicemail... then maybe I could tolerate the cost but if its $15+ per month i'd be a little annoyed as I still am not convinced they should charge you for making your screen bigger with a keyboard/touchpad.
    Isn't that for the most part what tethering is?

If they wanted to they could say that the use of the LapDock is a form of tethering and charge the entire fee to tether.

Quote Originally Posted by tdizzel View Post
    Do they just not want to sell those things? You'd think they'd make them reasonably priced and not charge extra as a "feature" then once everyone became dependent on them they would slowly up the price. Don't they pay any attention to cable companies?
    Yeah, I just don't get it. Getting a little frustrated just thinking about it. I am buying it no matter what because I already decided to do so and I have the money for it. I just wish they could see it for what it is. They better tack on a 'feature' cost if you buy that webtop adapter too cuz you can bet your *** if they charge me to use the lapdock i'm going to buy the webtop adapter and use it as my primary browser on THEIR network every effing day. Turn off my WiFi and abuse the hell outa it
    Thanked by:
    irl Panda likes this.

I hope we can all spend another 8 pages talking about S before real questions are answered. Just shut up and listen for an opinion/review.

Global Posts
    10,399 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

I am with CK. Lap dock is NO pad of comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter76 View Post
    I hope we can all spend another 8 pages talking about S before real questions are answered. Just shut up and listen for an opinion/review.
    I'm hoping for 12 more pages talking about S. What's the fun in shutting up and waiting?

Quote Originally Posted by joeym2 View Post
    Just to help out...... according to the Moto Rep in our store today...the bootloader is unlocked.
    Hmmm...that would be great, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast