DDR2 Ram Question

noobie1

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
As my name states I'm a complete newbie so bare with me. If I'm not mistaken when the original bionic's specs came out it was supposed to have 512mb of ddr2 ram. Some people raised cain about it but some that defended it said that have 512 mb of ddr2 ram was like having 1 gb of regular ram.

My question...is 1 gb of ddr2 ram like having 2 gb of regular ram?

Apologies in advance if that's a stupid question.

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I think in this case you're confusing having a bigger bucket vs being able to fill it/empty it faster.

To extend this analogy out on my buckets:
1GB would be like having a 5 gallon bucket. 2 GB would be like a 10 gallon bucket.
"Regular" is more like using a garden hose vs. DDR2 is could be more compared to a fire hose to empty and fill it.

So yeah, the 10 gallon bucket holds more, but it's much slower to fill it and empty it.

Overall I would take the 1GB at DDR2. The higher throughput of the RAM means the phone can store things in memory faster and pull it out faster. The impacts for this shouldn't be underestimated. You can have the fastest processor and so on in the world but if you bottleneck it with slow memory it will have an impact on the rest of the system.

Hope this helps..

Reactions: D1andOnlyOmen

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
As my name states I'm a complete newbie so bare with me. If I'm not mistaken when the original bionic's specs came out it was supposed to have 512mb of ddr2 ram. Some people raised cain about it but some that defended it said that have 512 mb of ddr2 ram was like having 1 gb of regular ram.

Isn't quite that simple. DDR2 has speed and throughput enhancements over previous versions, but it isn't a 1:1 kind of deal. All you should care about is that 1 GB of RAM for a phone is a lot and will keep it current for a while.

MagicMountainMan

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
No it's not really like having 2 gigs of ram, if I'm not mistaken. At least in computer terms, a gig of ram is a gig of ram. However since it's ddr2 it has a higher latency and throughput. Correct me if I'm wrong.

lembowski

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I think in this case you're confusing having a bigger bucket vs being able to fill it/empty it faster.

To extend this analogy out on my buckets:
1GB would be like having a 5 gallon bucket. 2 GB would be like a 10 gallon bucket.
"Regular" is more like using a garden hose vs. DDR2 is could be more compared to a fire hose to empty and fill it.

So yeah, the 10 gallon bucket holds more, but it's much slower to fill it and empty it.

Overall I would take the 1GB at DDR2. The higher throughput of the RAM means the phone can store things in memory faster and pull it out faster. The impacts for this shouldn't be underestimated. You can have the fastest processor and so on in the world but if you bottleneck it with slow memory it will have an impact on the rest of the system.

Hope this helps..

I like the comparison, its spot on.

Seeing that you are in Denver are you going to the Great American Beerfest at the end of this month?

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I like the comparison, its spot on.

Seeing that you are in Denver are you going to the Great American Beerfest at the end of this month?

Wasn't planning on it. I'm not much of a beer drinker personally. :) I know Denver is definitely a great spot for that sort of thing though.

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
DDR2 would be the clockrate (speed) in which the ram is. 1 GB is just means the amount of memory you have. Two totally different things.

More RAM means you can load more apps & data into it. It is faster for the CPU to access RAM than it is to access a storage area such as internel memory or an SD Card, possibly 100 times faster. If you run out of ram a device could slow down if it needs to use virtual memory which is a fake memory allocated on a slow storage area. So more RAM can in a sense make a device faster, but it doesn't mean the actual RAM chips send data to the CPU faster the more you have. DDR2 means it is a faster clock speed, and more data can travel down the bus at less clock cycles. DDR2 means the ram is faster than DDR ram.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance