World Phone?

DroidnewVZ

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
With the new Verizon international plans and international roaming plans.....who'd want a world phone anyway! Last year I traveled to Europe and there was a 60 a month international data plan. It was pro-rated by the day, so it was doable. 20 bucks for 10 days and unlimited data on Vodafone or Orange. Perfect, but it's gone now. Now all you get is a plan that coasts about a dollar a megabyte. It's crazy! With all of the WiFi available, I'd take the phone and forgo a data plan when overseas. It's just too complicated and expensive now.

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Will the Bionic be usable overseas on their GSM nets?

RMD

Right now you can add LTE or GSM to a phone's baseband. Not both right now. In a generation or two when LTE is added to baseband SoC it will be possible. Hard to tell if demand will high enough to over come costs..... I don't think it will first appear in a flagship phone. More likely they will test the water by adding GSM to a midrange LTE phone.... Right now all of VZW's LTE phone are flagships..... Give it a year or two.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Grumple

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
If you needed to make calls, couldn't you take the phone and call over WiFi with Skype? That's what I did on my iPod Touch when I went abroad.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
If you needed to make calls, couldn't you take the phone and call over WiFi with Skype? That's what I did on my iPod Touch when I went abroad.

But you have to pay for skype credits to do that...but then again you have to pay Orange or whatever when you go to Europe...might as well pay an American company money to use something in Europe right? Makes sense.

Not a world phone is one of my very few complaints.

And so far that is the only complaint I've heard from you bworley.

xjoshuax89

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Actually, according to FCC documents, the Bionic does have a GSM radio, it has just been disabled. Its quite possible that it could be enabled and you would just need a SIM card to make it a world phone.

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas...me=N&application_id=805726&fcc_id='IHDT56MX1'

Check out the cover letter

If you looked closer at how ridiculous that release was and how last minute it was put up you could see that it was all hokus pocus from Verizon.

In the official manual released by verizon you see that it is not a world phone.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
If you looked closer at how ridiculous that release was and how last minute it was put up you could see that it was all hokus pocus from Verizon.

In the official manual released by verizon you see that it is not a world phone.

Please educate me as to which part is hocus pocus and how. And can you also explain how a function that has apparently been disabled being left out of the official manual has any meaning.
Thanks

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Its simple for this to b a world phone you'll need a dual sim card setup. One for vzw lte GSM 700mhz radio and one for world wide GSM radios
This phone only has one sim card

Sent from Tapatalk using Droid BionicX!

xjoshuax89

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Please educate me as to which part is hocus pocus and how. And can you also explain how a function that has apparently been disabled being left out of the official manual has any meaning.
Thanks
Sorry I meant Motorola. First of all the manual released by the FCC if you bothered to look at it says DRAFT all over the place. Lot of the pictures in the manual also had a picture of the older Droid X and if you compare it to the new manual released by Verizon you see updated pictures.

GSM radio has been disabled by the firmware and also the GSM radio was not tested. So you don't know how that radio will work let alone work with networks outside the US.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
But don't forget it is running GSM radio the 700mhz for lte it will not or can not be unlocked for other carriers

Sent from Tapatalk using Droid BionicX!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc