Advertisement

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I forget -- does Verizon announce phones on Tuesday or Thursday? I have a terrible feeling the phone will be announced Thursday and we wont be able to get it till Tuesday next week. Can anyone confirm this? Haha I hope I'm all sorts of wrong here

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I forget -- does Verizon announce phones on Tuesday or Thursday? I have a terrible feeling the phone will be announced Thursday and we wont be able to get it till Tuesday next week. Can anyone confirm this? Haha I hope I'm all sorts of wrong here

In the past I've seen them announce phones on Tuesday I believe. I'm thinking we'll see an official announcement about the Bionic from Verizon today.

Reactions: anon(387460)

iambecoming

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I watch a lot of sports. They must not think us sports guys are smart enough for this phone. Either that, or maybe they think that the guys that like sports don't like to buy things that feature hot women.

I saw the commercial several times while watching football on Saturday.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

It's coming out Sept. 8th. It's been pretty much confirmed at this point. Besides, my better half was able to put a 24 hour hold on one for Thursday at the Verizon corporate store. The reps there anticipated it'll be busy, so he was told to come in as soon as the store opens.

It'll be funny if they make an official announcement on the day of release.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon(387460)

Markurski

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if Verizon is keeping the advertisements at a minimum to keep the phone from getting a lot of attention and allowing enthusiasts like us that have been watching since November last year a chance on getting first dibs...I know, a BIG run-on sentence!

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses guys!

-- Perhaps I'll stop by the Verizon Corporate Store near me this afternoon and see if I can reserve one. I changed my mind from pre-order to just taking Thursday in and being there for this phone aaand doing a few things around the home. Hope it doesn't distract me from doing that too much haha.

Also I was watching How It's made yesterday on the Science channel and the commercial aired like every other break.

clearrants

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if Verizon is keeping the advertisements at a minimum to keep the phone from getting a lot of attention and allowing enthusiasts like us that have been watching since November last year a chance on getting first dibs...I know, a BIG run-on sentence!

Minimum? They ran their commercials during every commercial break during the How I Met Your Mother marathon on FX yesterday. And that's just what I happened to have on. I'm sure it was playing on other channels too.

"Droid Bionic" was the overall #8 searched for term on all of Google yesterday and is currently at #19 right now. Google Trends: Sep 5, 2011

I think they're doing a pretty good job of getting the word out.

Reactions: 2defmouze

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Lol.. sounds nice but I'm going to guess No to that :)

Verizon's only concern is maximizing revenue while minimizing costs. They have teams of well-payed people telling them how to do that. The phone doesn't need that much pre-hype to generate sales. They can roar out a huge campaign starting tomorrow or even on thursday and still sell a ton of units. It would be expensive to advertise the phone that much before its even on sale, and one good reason to do that would be if one of their competitors had a sick phone coming out like right before the bionic, so they'd want to stop people from getting that and signing contracts with that other company by telling them the bionic is coming out 9/8. Since that's not the case (no other big phones have been released recently), they realized they could save the money it would cost to start advertising it earlier. Not to mention the "free" publicity they're getting from all the tech sites and blogs and forums every time someone covers the bionic on their own accord, and all the leaks and stuff that don't cost them anything but drum up anticipation from the enthusiasts like us.

Like its been pointed out... bionic is already one of the top trending things on google and there's barely been any advertising. Plus Moto is plugging it on twitter which is basically free for them to do, plus the droidlanding twitter... etc, you get the point..

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
It feels like the next commercial ought to be leaking out about now.

I swear the commercial I saw last night was a slightly 'extended' version of the original. My wife hadn't seen it so I hit rewind and noticed it seemed to be on longer, and show maybe a little more of the portman lookalike, etc...

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I think companies are spending less on Commercials since people are fast forwarding on dvrs

Sent from my Droid who cooks me waffles

Lol makes sense... Since we got DVR I almost never watch a new episode of something when it airs, i DVR just so i don't have to watch commercials

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol