Bionic and Outlook

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Anyone happen to know if the Bionic will have native compatibility to sync with Outlook?

For too many reasons to list, it's important that I'm able to sync with Outlook (non-exchange) preferably without going through Google...

Thanks!

TONY:)

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Anyone happen to know if the Bionic will have native compatibility to sync with Outlook?

For too many reasons to list, it's important that I'm able to sync with Outlook (non-exchange) preferably without going through Google...

From the manual, it looks like it only supports syncing with the mail servers, not mail clients.

sbudaj

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!

I don't have the answer but have the same question. I hope someone has an answer.

noisemaker

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Agreed - this seems to be fairly typical among most Androids. Fortunately, there are third party options (including our own) that can help.

David Z.

Does your software require me to sync my Outlook with GMail first? I am not a fan of GMail (probably sacrilege around here), so I would rather it does not get its hooks into my calendar and contacts, etc. Can your software bypass GMail?.

companionlink

Feb 9, 2010
www.companionlink.com
Does your software require me to sync my Outlook with GMail first?

No. We offer a few ways to sync - via Google *is* one of them, but we also offer direct USB, local wi-fi, and a subscription-based wireless sync option that works similarly to Google, but doesn't host your data online.

The way our sync works, data goes from Outlook to our free Android app, DejaOffice. DejaOffice stores contacts in it's own local database and offers advanced contacts, calendars and more, but also has the option to sync with the native contacts and calendar apps if you prefer. (Note that if you do this and have a Gmail account on your device that's set to sync contacts and calendars, your data may end up in Google. You'll need to make sure you've turned off sync for any Google accounts on your phone if you wish to avoid this.)

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

- David Z.

noisemaker

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
No. We offer a few ways to sync - via Google *is* one of them, but we also offer direct USB, local wi-fi, and a subscription-based wireless sync option that works similarly to Google, but doesn't host your data online.

The way our sync works, data goes from Outlook to our free Android app, DejaOffice. DejaOffice stores contacts in it's own local database and offers advanced contacts, calendars and more, but also has the option to sync with the native contacts and calendar apps if you prefer. (Note that if you do this and have a Gmail account on your device that's set to sync contacts and calendars, your data may end up in Google. You'll need to make sure you've turned off sync for any Google accounts on your phone if you wish to avoid this.)

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

- David Z.

Sounds perfect. How 'bout a discount coupon? :D
Thanks. -- Roy

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Dave Z!

One additional question- in doing research into a synchronization solution that excludes GMail, I am under the impression that CompanionLink may have trouble properly announcing recurring events. Is that the case? Are there any limitations to the CompanionLink functionality? I've never owned an Android phone before, and am interested in getting a Bionic, but am afraid I won't be able to live without the ease of synchronization I enjoyed with my current phone (a Blackberry Storm 1. The sync performance and email are the only things I liked about this mess of a device)

Thanks again!

companionlink

Feb 9, 2010
www.companionlink.com
I am under the impression that CompanionLink may have trouble properly announcing recurring events. Is that the case?

CompanionLink, when combined with our free Android app DejaOffice, is able to sync advanced recurring event patterns. You shouldn't see any issues when syncing those using USB, local WiFi, or our Secure Hosted Wireless sync.

If you have a specific setup that you're wondering about (e.g. Outlook to Android via our USB sync with a unique recurring event setup), let me know and I can ask our QA guys specifically if they've seen or heard of any issues. Personally, I haven't run into any.

- David Z.

noisemaker

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Dave -- I posted a question in the DejaOffice for Android forum in the "Sync not working properly" thread and I have yet to receive a response there. If you would like me to post it here, let me know. Thanks. -- Roy

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I use corporate sync pre installed on the bionic. It syncs with my work outlook, all my meetings are synced with the standard bionic calender automatically. Maybe this isn't what you are talking about, but it works well for me.

noisemaker

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I use corporate sync pre installed on the bionic. It syncs with my work outlook, all my meetings are synced with the standard bionic calender automatically. Maybe this isn't what you are talking about, but it works well for me.

Jasper, is that through an Exchange server? I am trying to sync up my desktop Outlook (not Exchange) with Android Contacts and Calendar so I can use ringtones and caller id, etc., without using Google Contacts and Google Calendar.

noisemaker

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Tell you what, I'm going to go ahead and set you up with one! Enter 10BIONIC in the Affinity Code field when you check out to get $10 off.

This code is open to anyone and valid until October 1, 2011. Feel free to pass it along!

- David Z.

Any way to extend this a few days? Just got it all working and I want to be sure this is what I want. Thanks. -- Roy

BBBay

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the delayed response over there. I'll have one of our techs look into it now for you!

- David Z.

Same boat here, think you can help get my issue straightened out too? I would prefer to keep it all public as i have found forum information years later that have helped me solve issues.

Thanks

companionlink

Feb 9, 2010
www.companionlink.com
Same boat here, think you can help get my issue straightened out too? I would prefer to keep it all public as i have found forum information years later that have helped me solve issues.

Thanks

I am happy to help - can you let me know what the specific issue is? Also, if you can share your setup (phone model - though I assume it's the Bionic, software you want to sync to, etc) that'd be helpful!

- David