Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Default Re: Bionic First Impressions/Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by kalytn View Post
    From what I have been able to do with the phone, I really like it, however, we are having 4g issues in our area which supposedly means my phone will not do data at all!!! I called Verizon support and they indicated that the 4g phones will not work on 3g if there is a 4g network outage. Huh??? But that seems to be what is happening, can't do any data type stuff so for right now, it's just a really pretty cellphone!
    That just happened to me in Philly too. I called Verizon and they said to reboot. Now it works again.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkfoley74 View Post
    Just started playing with Bionic. Opened the market and it loaded up 2.3.6, the old market. Anyone else experience this?
    Yes, happened to me too, but it quickly updated to the new market.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by wpwoodjr View Post
    Yes, happened to me too, but it quickly updated to the new market.
    Tried re-starting phone 3 times so far and still the same. Will wait longer. Thx

I just came back from my local Verizon store and compared the Droid Bionic with my Droid Charge.

1. Display: This was the first area that I wanted to compare. The Display Screen is the most prominent feature for any smartphone so for me, it is important that the screen provide me with a very good image. I was disappointed with the Bionics display. I found it to be very pixelated. After being spoiled with the Charge's displya for 2 months now, I can honestly say that the Bionic's display seemed washed out. I compared exactly the same photos from my flickr.com website side by side with my Charge and even the Verizon rep acknowledge the superiority of the Charge's display.

2. Performance. I did find the Bionic a bit faster than my Charge but not really that big of a deal. Even though the Bionic has a Dual Core it is only 1ghz as fast as the Charge. One has to remember that there is a bottleneck between the processor and the rest of the phone's circuits to the display. No matter how fast your processor is, there can only be so much data that can be pushed through that bottleneck (bus). Watching streaming video (Netflix), was an eye openner. The Charge definitely kicked a$$. Picture quality on the Bionic was a bit washed out the colors were a little off and didn't display the same crispness as the Charge.

Where the Bionic leaps ahead noticeably is the hdmi out 1080p. The difference between that and my Charge's 720p output is like comparing 480p to 720p. I like that from the Bionic and also it's capability of 1080p videos.

At $300.00 for either one, I don't believe neither phone is worth that price. I would wait for a price drop in let's say a couple of months. Got my Charge for $129.00 w a 2yr unlimited.

Like many of the posters here, I was very disappointed in the screen quality, in the store it has a washed out look. I compared it to my recently cyanogen mod 7 Droid 2, and the speed was not so much faster that it was worth the use of my upgrade. The screen was the biggest let down or all. The phone is nice size with a nice light feel, but why they would put that screen on such an awesome product is ridiculous…holding out for the Nexus Prime or if not that the Samsung GSII, meanwhile I will enjoy my "new" droid 2 rooted

This phone is awesome. It's incredibally fast and the screen looks fabulous. I'd recommend it to anybody.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

I won't repeat what everyone else has said. It is very fast because I came from an OG Droid. The screen looks great until I looked at it a high powered magnifing glass, but I see the same thing on my Samsung plasma TV when I put the glass on it. Using Navigon was always iffy and really slow but now it flies. The only thing I noticed that was a little odd was it seems to run hotter than my OG when it is downloading. The Navigon is a 2 GB download and on my OG, I had to restart it numerous times even though I was on WIFI. My 4G indicated two bars and it went to 51C/124F. Maybe it was working with a weak 4G signal, but 2 barrs seem like plenty. However, the temperature warning did not come on so I guess it was OK. I was also charging at the time and since this on is not rooted, it was showing battery temperature rather than CPU temperature. Battery temperature is much higher. My OG shows 22C right now and the CPU is 33C. So,I will guess it was caused by high speed download, fast CPU, charging and it is not old and tired like the OG.

Default Re: They CANNOT Be Serious With This Phone....

I actually took a 9am lunch hour work to purchase this, even tho i was fairly certain "availability" wouldn't be too limited... I have to admit, when i saw it was going to be priced at $299.00, i figured it MUST be pretty special... Ack! Folks, there was nothing about this phone that intrigued me to even play with it for even more than a few minutes, let alone purchase it for three (thats right) THREE hundred bucks....

On a positive note, i did find the 4G speeds A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, but since most of my surfing is done via wi-fi, it wouldn't be enough to make me jump on this.

I found the Droid X2 a far better unit, the display was soooo crisp, but it didn't have 4G and it had real buttons, which were awful.

So here i am, pret-ty dang disappointed, not trying to rain on anyone's parade that found this phone to be everything they were looking for and more, but for me, this phone's interface, display, form factor and price could almost be a joke, except for, AS USUAL, Verizon is SERIOUS....

Shaking head, what a letdown. (Tread lightly with your reply, i'm very fragile right now...lol )
    Last edited by BOSSY TEXAS CHICK; 09-08-2011 at 04:56 PM.
    Beagles329 likes this.

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

I upgraded ro the bionic from the X, overall, pretty cool, the gallery is neat, it now displsys photos from facebook friends, about half the weight of my X, faster overall, it does lag a tiny bit when opening some apps, the 4g seriously rocks tho, overall happy

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

Btw the screen is better then on my X

I decided to go into the store and play with it. I was there for about 45 minutes. I upgraded last week to the Thunderbolt and am still in my 14 days. I am sticking with my TB.....prefer it.
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Quick question. The HDMI cord to conect to the TV doesn't come with the phone does it? You have to buy it seperately?
    Sorry I'm a big noob!

Yep you need to buy the HDMI cable separately...

Why stick with the TB. Horrible battery life, slower phone, its pretty big. Its getting a phone from a year ago. Why get a year old phone now when the newest just got released? They didn't even price cut the TB yet...

I would understand after the price cut but before the price cut is a bit mind boggling...

THIS PHONE IS THE ****.............

NUFF SAID!!!!
    SUCCESS IS MY ONLY OPTION...FAILURE IS NOT !!

Quote Originally Posted by feedmeccc View Post
    Quick question. The HDMI cord to conect to the TV doesn't come with the phone does it? You have to buy it seperately?
    Sorry I'm a big noob!
    No it doesn't but you can sniff out some OEM ones at Amazon on the cheap. I ordered one yesterday for 6.44 shipped.

To reply why I am keeping my TB I love the screen. It is quite fast for me. I have 4G in the valley but not in my home area so I am using 3G wherever I am. I am doing ok with the battery life actually. There are ways to tweak it. I don't think it is so huge it is a 4.3 screen. I like how it also has a fast boot and immediately powers up ! Music sounds great on it. Camera is awesome. Call quality and Sense UI I prefer HTC products. It is a personal preference.
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Nevermind.

I really like they phone... my only complaint is the camera. It is insanely slow. Yeah yeah, I know it isn't "made" for taking pictures, but man is it slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    No it doesn't but you can sniff out some OEM ones at Amazon on the cheap. I ordered one yesterday for 6.44 shipped.
    Can you post a link or PM me a link to a good cheaper one from amazon! Thanks!

I won't repeat what everyone else has said. It is very fast because I came from an OG Droid. The screen looks great until I looked at it through a high powered magnifing glass, but I see the same thing on my Samsung plasma TV when I put the glass on it. Using Navigon was always iffy and really slow but now it flies. The only thing I noticed that was a little odd was it seems to run hotter than my OG when it is downloading. The Navigon is a 2 GB download and on my OG, I had to restart it numerous times even though I was on WIFI. My 4G indicated two bars and it went to 51C/124F. Maybe it was working with a weak 4G signal, but 2 barrs seem like plenty. However, the temperature warning did not come on so I guess it was OK. I was also charging at the time and since this is not rooted, it was showing battery temperature rather than CPU temperature. Battery temperature is much higher. My OG shows 22C right now and the CPU is 33C. So,I will guess it was caused by high speed download, fast CPU, charging and it is not old and tired like the OG.
    Last edited by DaleGriggs; 09-09-2011 at 09:48 AM.

I have loaded my apps but I can not fine the Amazon app store anywhere. Did Apple manage to get a court injuction against that too?
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder82 View Post
    Just had the chance to play with a friends Bionic for roughly an hour and while the phone is extremely solid and a serious performer.. i'll have to stick with my Charge. The screen is the deal breaker for me, as much as I hate to admit it. Maybe I set myself up for failure coming from the Charge, but i'd constantly think about how pixelated the screen is and it would drive me bonkers.

Overall though, i'm sure many many people will love this phone :-)
    I had the same problem, but it was a switch to an x2 from the charge. You get used to it though, and I don't even notice it anymore. I also much prefer the lagless x2 and blue os to the charge's lag and brown

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DaleGriggs View Post
    I have loaded my apps but I can not fine the Amazon app store anywhere. Did Apple manage to get a court injuction against that too?
    you have to install the amazon.com app. from there you can download the amazon app store
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Plucknbach View Post
    I just came back from my local Verizon store and compared the Droid Bionic with my Droid Charge.

1. Display: This was the first area that I wanted to compare. The Display Screen is the most prominent feature for any smartphone so for me, it is important that the screen provide me with a very good image. I was disappointed with the Bionics display. I found it to be very pixelated. After being spoiled with the Charge's displya for 2 months now, I can honestly say that the Bionic's display seemed washed out. I compared exactly the same photos from my flickr.com website side by side with my Charge and even the Verizon rep acknowledge the superiority of the Charge's display.

2. Performance. I did find the Bionic a bit faster than my Charge but not really that big of a deal. Even though the Bionic has a Dual Core it is only 1ghz as fast as the Charge. One has to remember that there is a bottleneck between the processor and the rest of the phone's circuits to the display. No matter how fast your processor is, there can only be so much data that can be pushed through that bottleneck (bus). Watching streaming video (Netflix), was an eye openner.

Having had the charge, the real test will be loading it down with texts and info and using it for a few days. Frankly, the charge blew chunks when it came to real use. Using a dual core after the charge is night and day.

(And the bionic isn't just a little faster. It has double the RAM, and its ddr2, which makes it even faster.)

There's nothing wrong with the charge, but any dual core phone smokes it.
    Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

First impression after playing with one today was, this thing is fast. Imo as fast if not faster than the sensation. The galaxy s2 is still king but the bionic is a very close second on my list right now. Hardware aesthetics and overall feel made me really like it

Sent from my Thunderbolt using tapatalk
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast