Bionic First Impressions/Reviews

wpwoodjr

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Do you have some sort of backup app that you ran on the X, that automatically moved the wallpaper over to the Bionic after you signed on to it with your account?
I'm thinking it was Google backup although I don't understand why it was not the latest wallpaper. Good thing it was just some cobblestones...

kalytn

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
From what I have been able to do with the phone, I really like it, however, we are having 4g issues in our area which supposedly means my phone will not do data at all!!! I called Verizon support and they indicated that the 4g phones will not work on 3g if there is a 4g network outage. Huh??? But that seems to be what is happening, can't do any data type stuff so for right now, it's just a really pretty cellphone!
:confused:

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Short and sweet: phone is fast, zero lag so far.
screen is clear and crisp, HD movies look Amazing!!!! Pixelation for me is only when phone is touching my nose.
Call quality is also impressive, clear and loud.
External speaker sounds even better than my OG DROID, loud and very good quality with highs and lows.
build quality is decent, I don't like plastic phones and this is a plastic phone. I will say there is no twist, flex, or any creeks or clicks, so even though its plastic its very well put together.
Web browsing is beautiful, everything snaps quickly, zoom works well, pages look great.
Copying text is a breeze on this phone compared to my OG DROID. You get a set of block arrows you can move left to right to capture the text you want, very easy and user friendly for larger hands.
battery life has done well. It had 40% when I left store at 10 and I haven't put it down for more than 5 minutes. Im at 20% now after 4 hours heavy use and remember that was starting from 40%.
Camera looks very good, recording and pictures quality, im impressed.
Overall I like the phone, i plan to get the He dock to play with webtop on my HDTV using wireless mouse and keyboard to sit on my couch and browse the web
Voice over data is handy, I think I will use this more than I initially thought.
I would rate this phone 9 out of 10.

Reactions: Mahbles

Jonny Boy

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, just chiming in with my 2 cents...

The phone is awesome... fast, excellent performance. Sound quality is top-notch, the phone feels good in the hand, 4G rules... but the screen really bothers me, unfortunately, and I was not a Pentile hater. But my OG Droid screen looked better. Pixelation is noticeable when scrolling, causing a jitter effect. In fact, I'm seeing pixels everywhere, and I don't have my face against the screen. Have to say, my OG Droid looked better. Having said that, it isn't a total dealbreaker. Colors are vibrant, the screen is bright, and seeing it in bright sunlight is a huge plus since I work outside. But the pixels bug me a hell of a lot more than I ever thought. May pass this phone on to my mom and use her upgrade for the Prime, just because of the screen. Makes me sound like a hater, but I'm not. Motorola has the best phone on VZW. Period. But for me personally, the screen is more of an annoyance than I thought it would be. Maybe I'm just picky. Otherwise, loving the phone!

wpwoodjr

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
From what I have been able to do with the phone, I really like it, however, we are having 4g issues in our area which supposedly means my phone will not do data at all!!! I called Verizon support and they indicated that the 4g phones will not work on 3g if there is a 4g network outage. Huh??? But that seems to be what is happening, can't do any data type stuff so for right now, it's just a really pretty cellphone!
:confused:

That just happened to me in Philly too. I called Verizon and they said to reboot. Now it works again.

Plucknbach

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I just came back from my local Verizon store and compared the Droid Bionic with my Droid Charge.

1. Display: This was the first area that I wanted to compare. The Display Screen is the most prominent feature for any smartphone so for me, it is important that the screen provide me with a very good image. I was disappointed with the Bionics display. I found it to be very pixelated. After being spoiled with the Charge's displya for 2 months now, I can honestly say that the Bionic's display seemed washed out. I compared exactly the same photos from my flickr.com website side by side with my Charge and even the Verizon rep acknowledge the superiority of the Charge's display.

2. Performance. I did find the Bionic a bit faster than my Charge but not really that big of a deal. Even though the Bionic has a Dual Core it is only 1ghz as fast as the Charge. One has to remember that there is a bottleneck between the processor and the rest of the phone's circuits to the display. No matter how fast your processor is, there can only be so much data that can be pushed through that bottleneck (bus). Watching streaming video (Netflix), was an eye openner. The Charge definitely kicked a$$. Picture quality on the Bionic was a bit washed out the colors were a little off and didn't display the same crispness as the Charge.

Where the Bionic leaps ahead noticeably is the hdmi out 1080p. The difference between that and my Charge's 720p output is like comparing 480p to 720p. I like that from the Bionic and also it's capability of 1080p videos.

At $300.00 for either one, I don't believe neither phone is worth that price. I would wait for a price drop in let's say a couple of months. Got my Charge for $129.00 w a 2yr unlimited.

gotice

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Like many of the posters here, I was very disappointed in the screen quality, in the store it has a washed out look. I compared it to my recently cyanogen mod 7 Droid 2, and the speed was not so much faster that it was worth the use of my upgrade. The screen was the biggest let down or all. The phone is nice size with a nice light feel, but why they would put that screen on such an awesome product is ridiculous?holding out for the Nexus Prime or if not that the Samsung GSII, meanwhile I will enjoy my "new" droid 2 rooted

DaleGriggs

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I won't repeat what everyone else has said. It is very fast because I came from an OG Droid. The screen looks great until I looked at it a high powered magnifing glass, but I see the same thing on my Samsung plasma TV when I put the glass on it. Using Navigon was always iffy and really slow but now it flies. The only thing I noticed that was a little odd was it seems to run hotter than my OG when it is downloading. The Navigon is a 2 GB download and on my OG, I had to restart it numerous times even though I was on WIFI. My 4G indicated two bars and it went to 51C/124F. Maybe it was working with a weak 4G signal, but 2 barrs seem like plenty. However, the temperature warning did not come on so I guess it was OK. I was also charging at the time and since this on is not rooted, it was showing battery temperature rather than CPU temperature. Battery temperature is much higher. My OG shows 22C right now and the CPU is 33C. So,I will guess it was caused by high speed download, fast CPU, charging and it is not old and tired like the OG.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: They CANNOT Be Serious With This Phone....

I actually took a 9am lunch hour work to purchase this, even tho i was fairly certain "availability" wouldn't be too limited... I have to admit, when i saw it was going to be priced at $299.00, i figured it MUST be pretty special... Ack! Folks, there was nothing about this phone that intrigued me to even play with it for even more than a few minutes, let alone purchase it for three (thats right) THREE hundred bucks....

On a positive note, i did find the 4G speeds A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, but since most of my surfing is done via wi-fi, it wouldn't be enough to make me jump on this.

I found the Droid X2 a far better unit, the display was soooo crisp, but it didn't have 4G and it had real buttons, which were awful.

So here i am, pret-ty dang disappointed, not trying to rain on anyone's parade that found this phone to be everything they were looking for and more, but for me, this phone's interface, display, form factor and price could almost be a joke, except for, AS USUAL, Verizon is SERIOUS....

Shaking head, what a letdown. (Tread lightly with your reply, i'm very fragile right now...lol ) :-\

Last edited:

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded ro the bionic from the X, overall, pretty cool, the gallery is neat, it now displsys photos from facebook friends, about half the weight of my X, faster overall, it does lag a tiny bit when opening some apps, the 4g seriously rocks tho, overall happy

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I decided to go into the store and play with it. I was there for about 45 minutes. I upgraded last week to the Thunderbolt and am still in my 14 days. I am sticking with my TB.....prefer it.

feedmeccc

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Quick question. The HDMI cord to conect to the TV doesn't come with the phone does it? You have to buy it seperately?
Sorry I'm a big noob!

xjoshuax89

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Yep you need to buy the HDMI cable separately...

Why stick with the TB. Horrible battery life, slower phone, its pretty big. Its getting a phone from a year ago. Why get a year old phone now when the newest just got released? They didn't even price cut the TB yet...

I would understand after the price cut but before the price cut is a bit mind boggling...

Pierpoint

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Quick question. The HDMI cord to conect to the TV doesn't come with the phone does it? You have to buy it seperately?
Sorry I'm a big noob!

No it doesn't but you can sniff out some OEM ones at Amazon on the cheap. I ordered one yesterday for 6.44 shipped.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shae