Post Pictures Taken With the Bionic Camera

mjwalsh

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Whoever sees this post and still think the camera is "horrible' "horrific" "SUCKS!!!" or whatever descriptive term thats used for it....I dont know what else to say except everybody's entitled to their opinion...

Agreed! Been really impressed with the camera after upgrading from Iphone 3GS. Couple of pics of my own attached (untouched, downsampled for upload to forum).

mjwalsh

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Were you using the stock camera app or something else to take those pictures?

Sorry, should have mentioned. The concert photos were with the stock camera app, the Ohio river pics were with Vignette app. The Vignette app was a touch annoying with the number of clicks needed (plus wanted to take a few quick vids) so flipped back to the stock app for concert. Would use Vignette from now on.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Agreed! Been really impressed with the camera after upgrading from Iphone 3GS. Couple of pics of my own attached (untouched, downsampled for upload to forum).

Lol that is a Katy Perry concert isn't it? She played at my school (even though I didn't go to it...I didn't care to) and she wore that striped dress ;). Anyways, those pictures are some of the best pictures I've seen at a concert, most of the time I can't even see the people performing, and that's people with iPhones too.

mjwalsh

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Lol that is a Katy Perry concert isn't it? She played at my school (even though I didn't go to it...I didn't care to) and she wore that striped dress ;). Anyways, those pictures are some of the best pictures I've seen at a concert, most of the time I can't even see the people performing, and that's people with iPhones too.

It was! Had a very fun evening last night in Louisville. The google nav + bionic car dock also did a great job getting me there from Illinois too.

Yeah, I was impressed with the pic quality for a concert, I took some pics with my iphone 3GS at a Lady Gaga concert in very similar seats @KFC Yum center earlier this year and it was difficult to identify Gaga (and yes, I have an awful taste in music :) )

If anyone is interested, the rest of the full size pics are on my Picasa account, with some very short vids (lots of security around me made me nervous to film for too long). I plan to photoshop the pics when I get chance.

Picasa Album

wpwoodjr

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I've uploaded 4 images taken with my Bionic which show how HDR Camera+ merges one image taken at normal exposure with two other images taken at bracketed higher and lower exposures to produce the final high dynamic range (HDR) image.

The first is the normal exposure, the second is exposed 2 stops higher, the third 2 stops lower, and the fourth is the final merged HDR image.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Even though the people were moving, HDR Camera+ sorted it out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
It was! Had a very fun evening last night in Louisville. The google nav + bionic car dock also did a great job getting me there from Illinois too.

Yeah, I was impressed with the pic quality for a concert, I took some pics with my iphone 3GS at a Lady Gaga concert in very similar seats @KFC Yum center earlier this year and it was difficult to identify Gaga (and yes, I have an awful taste in music :) )

If anyone is interested, the rest of the full size pics are on my Picasa account, with some very short vids (lots of security around me made me nervous to film for too long). I plan to photoshop the pics when I get chance.

Picasa Album

I was about to say that :p I have a big falling out with mainstream music. But the photos are what were are talking about, and they look very good. The videos looked pretty good too, but I noticed with some songs with bigger bass usage, the microphone became a bit distorted. But that's just like pretty much any camera, I've used $3000 cameras that still have problems with that.

I've uploaded 4 images taken with my Bionic which show how HDR Camera+ merges one image taken at normal exposure with two other images taken at bracketed higher and lower exposures to produce the final high dynamic range (HDR) image.

The first is the normal exposure, the second is exposed 2 stops higher, the third 2 stops lower, and the fourth is the final merged HDR image.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Even though the people were moving, HDR Camera+ sorted it out.

Good to see that a phone can take good HDR photos. I love HDR photos, and I'm surprised to see how good they look.

rgarling

Apr 12, 2010
www.twitter.com
6140199640_cc0ab009cd_b.jpg

Taken this morning with the standard 6MP settingss. It's kind of grainy, but I was moving.

6140260184_ea22694c4a_b.jpg

This was taken the other day of a necklace I made, same standard settings and 6MP. Light overhead. The detail this camera picks up is amazing.

BLMage

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
2011-09-11_18-27-38_315.jpg

wasn't even really paying attention to settings, panoramic from my deck first image taken panoramic stock camera settings.
2011-09-11_18-25-16_579.jpg

a moment earlier 8mp stock camera

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
A lot of these pics look good but the problem with the camera isn't so much the quality of the photo's, its the performance. The AF and shutter speed are slow. These pics are of scenery which it's real easy to capture quality scenery photos. Try taking pictures of an 11 month old. The Bionic camera makes it much more difficult than some others who have very fast AF and shutter speed, most notable the iPhone 4.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I was wanting to ask, does the Bionic still use the mechanical camera shutter? In my opinion this was one of Motorola's cameras downfalls. There is a number of good and bad shots but from my opinion lighting is a must with Motorola camera because the flash never was good enough.

wpwoodjr

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
A lot of these pics look good but the problem with the camera isn't so much the quality of the photo's, its the performance. The AF and shutter speed are slow. These pics are of scenery which it's real easy to capture quality scenery photos. Try taking pictures of an 11 month old. The Bionic camera makes it much more difficult than some others who have very fast AF and shutter speed, most notable the iPhone 4.
You could try multi-shot mode. It takes 6 pictures in rapid succession.

In single shot mode the camera is decently quick for a point and shoot. It is 2 secs from pressing the shutter to ready for next shot.

xxLiquidX

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Flood waters here in Central PA...
View attachment 14573

Thanks for posting that, I've been wondering how Dockside looked as I never got a chance to make it out there during the flooding. I'm about 5 min from there.

All of those HDR+ shots look amazing. I can't wait to get mine in a few days.

Last edited:

mjwalsh

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I have been playing around with stock, vignette and Camera Zoom FX apps. The paid apps offer significant improvements in image quality over the stock app, particularly in low light. I took these photos using default settings but with flash on auto and steady shot on in all apps.

Vignette vs. Camera Zoom FX look pretty similar, I would say that Vignette looks sharper whereas Camera Zoom FX has richer colors. Feel free to check out the Picasa album, would be interested to see which app people prefer. Think I will be going with Vignette in future for non-HDR photos.

Picassa album

The HDR photos look really great, been using HDR+ but it won't let me set the gallery app as the default gallery without the gallery app crashing when starting up (am I missing something?)

Reactions: jroc and chaitea007

wpwoodjr

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
The HDR photos look really great, been using HDR+ but it won't let me set the gallery app as the default gallery without the gallery app crashing when starting up (am I missing something?)

I reported the gallery app crashing as a bug to the HDR+ support team. Then I downloaded a much better app for gallery viewing called QuickPic which works great.

Last edited: