1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

Default How to Transfer Ringtones

Ok, I'm coming from a BlackBerry and getting used to this Bionic is disorienting but I'm convinced it will be worth it when I customize everything.

Can anyone tell me how I can use mp3 files I already have from my old phone and use them as ringtones on the Bionic? I've searched the forums but I can't seem to find the way to do this on this phone.

I've hooked up the Bionic to my PC and created a "ringtones" folder in the root directory of my SD card. What do I do next?

Default Re: How to Transfer Ringtones

Ive purchased mp3 ringtones and received them through messaging but when I try and save ringtone I get a msg saying cannot save file! Any ideas
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

Ok, I've found the issue I had. I still had the Bionic connected to my computer via usb while trying to assign ringtones. The ringtones I put on the SD card showed up after disconnecting from computer.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewDT View Post
    Ok, I'm coming from a BlackBerry and getting used to this Bionic is disorienting but I'm convinced it will be worth it when I customize everything.

Can anyone tell me how I can use mp3 files I already have from my old phone and use them as ringtones on the Bionic? I've searched the forums but I can't seem to find the way to do this on this phone.

I've hooked up the Bionic to my PC and created a "ringtones" folder in the root directory of my SD card. What do I do next?
    I'm not sure that will work, and i'm not sure MP3 files work, they didn't on my OG Droid... or maybe that was after I installed CM7 instead...

What I do for ringtones is this:

on the root of your SD Card, create a 'media folder. INSIDE the 'media' folder, create another folder called 'audio'. Inside the 'audio' folder you will create 3 folders. 'ringtones' , 'notifications' , and 'alarms' .

They are separate. I use WMA files, not MP3, but the MP3's may work now on Android 2.3.x on a stock phone. Adding something to your ringtones folder will not make it show up on your notification tones... if you want something the same for both ringtone, notifications, or alarms... you copy the file in each folder.

Hopefully this makes sense, and hopefully the MP3 files work for you.
    Judgement Day is upon us!!!!.. Bionic has gone online and became self-aware.. awaiting destruction in 3..2..
    Thanked by:
    DrewDT 

I just saw your post that your root level 'ringtones' folder works. well, i'll be damned. I had a helluva time in the past and maybe my way still works but isn't required anymore.
    Judgement Day is upon us!!!!.. Bionic has gone online and became self-aware.. awaiting destruction in 3..2..