Best "lost/stolen phone" app?

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
After having an awful experience having my DX stolen (no insurance), I think I'm going to wise up and get insurance on my Bionic. However, in addition, I'd like to install an app that can either help track or disable / format my phone remotely. Does anyone have any positive experiences with any of these types of apps? Can you recommend any? Thanks

DroidST

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
When the Bionic was announced originally, it had 'remote wipe'.. I have not bothered to check to see if that is an option with the 875s... need to check...

rlmesq

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
TheftAware. It's a great app, activated by SMS messages, and can survive a factory reset. I had it installed on my DroidX, which just went to my fiancee, and it locked the phone when I tried to reactivate.

Plus, if you're rooted, it becomes an invisible system app. You access it by dialing your four-digit PIN through the dialer app.

I also like SeekDroid, and also have it installed on my phone because it's easier to use the locate function if you have access to a website or it's inconvenient to send an SMS, but TheftAware is the one I'd depend on if my phone was actually lost or stolen (instead of just misplaced in a pair of pants at the bottom of my closet :p).

DroidST

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
When the Bionic was announced originally, it had 'remote wipe'.. I have not bothered to check to see if that is an option with the 875s... need to check...

I guess it does come with "Remote Wipe"..

See Page 52 in the 875 Bionic Manual

Remote wipe a lost or stolen smartphone

Looks like you need a account on Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync though

Last edited:

SonicJoe

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I guess it does come with "Remote Wipe"..

See Page 52 in the 875 Bionic Manual

Remote wipe a lost or stolen smartphone

Looks like you need a account on Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync though

Correct. Remote wipe is included as a business feature, not for the average consumer.

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
When you guys mention the manual, are you talking about the manual the phone came with or an online one? (sorry I'm not home right now to check)

I have exchange through my school email, but I'm guessing what you need to wipe it remotely with the stock software is slightly different?