Tethering plan limited to 2 GB :(

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Went to Verizon store to checkout Bionic. They said if I purchased tethering plan I would not get unlimited. I would be capped at 2 GB. I already have unlimited on my phone, but they said I can't get unlimited on tethering. They claimed I had to have already had a 4G phone and the tethering plan in order to be grandfathered in.

Has anyone been able to get the tethering plan added to their unlimited account without the 2GB cap?

swallman

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Only 2 GB for tethering ?? That's insane! With an LTE connection that isn't going to last very long. They might as well not even sell it.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Went to Verizon store to checkout Bionic. They said if I purchased tethering plan I would not get unlimited. I would be capped at 2 GB. I already have unlimited on my phone, but they said I can't get unlimited on tethering. They claimed I had to have already had a 4G phone and the tethering plan in order to be grandfathered in.

Has anyone been able to get the tethering plan added to their unlimited account without the 2GB cap?

Didn't add it (don't believe in paying for something that should be free), but I did get it offered to me. Try calling in to customer service maybe, since they are running a promotion for $30 for unlimited tethering.

zendevar

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
When I got mine yesterday, the rep specifically asked me, unprompted, if I wanted the $30 unlimited tethering plan that I was eligible for since I had unlimited data. I turned it down, but the offer was there.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
When I got mine yesterday, the rep specifically asked me, unprompted, if I wanted the $30 unlimited tethering plan that I was eligible for since I had unlimited data. I turned it down, but the offer was there.

I thought the same thing. I may try a different store. I may get someone who's more knowledgeable.
If not, I will continue to use my current Android phone and tether away.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

This is incorrect. The phone I deactivated to get the Bionic was a Blackberry. When I upgraded not only was I allowed to keep my unlimited data (as we all knew) but she offered me the unlimited Hotspot (which I declined) and it shows up as an option for me on My Verizon to add. The 2Gb hotspot is for Non 4G devices and 4G users who were stupid and dropped their unlimited data plans or didn't have then as of July 7.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I thought the same thing. I may try a different store. I may get someone who's more knowledgeable.
If not, I will continue to use my current Android phone and tether away.

You can just add it to your plan online. It should be available if you have an unlimited data plan.

thall

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
OK so update:

Has anyone looked on the services you can add in myverizon on the website after you activate your bionic? Cause after I did the $30 unlimited tethering plan showed up. Added it and it works great! Tethered to it right now with my xoom:)

DroidST

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
yes, I am seeing that option under Features (for the line I have the Bionic and Unlimited Data)..

It's labeled: 4G Mobile Hotspot

for $30 a month... However, I don't see the word 'unlimited' but I also don't see '2GB' either.

I believe they told me on the phone it was $20 for the 2GB tether option..

Deciding if I will add it now or perhaps those who are grandfathered with the Unlimited Data will have this option going forward??

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
yes, I am seeing that option under Features (for the line I have the Bionic and Unlimited Data)..

It's labeled: 4G Mobile Hotspot

for $30 a month... However, I don't see the word 'unlimited' but I also don't see '2GB' either.

I believe they told me on the phone it was $20 for the 2GB tether option..

Deciding if I will add it now or perhaps those who are grandfathered with the Unlimited Data will have this option going forward??

click on the link to the explanation of the feature, explains it IS unlimited and that an unlimited smartphone data feature is also required.

DroidST

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
click on the link to the explanation of the feature, explains it IS unlimited and that an unlimited smartphone data feature is also required.

I don't see that is says the Hotspot is unlimited, just requires a unlimited data plan....

Here is what I get:

4G Mobile Hotspot

Mobile Broadband Connect

Use your Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone as a modem to get instant online access on your computer.

Mobile Hotspot

Using your 4G LTE Smartphone, share your data allowance with multiple Wi-Fi-enable devices. No additional drivers or software necessary.

Requires an unlimited data package / plan subscription of $29.99 or higher.

Additional Terms & Conditions apply.

DroidST

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
For the 2GB Hotspot plans, is the 2GB data allowance separate from the phone's 2GB data?

If not separate, I guess the Hotspot option is just that, add that feature but uses whatever Data Plan you have. If this is the case, all grandfathered lines for unlimited will probably show the $30 Hotspot option.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't see that is says the Hotspot is unlimited, just requires a unlimited data plan....

Here is what I get:

4G Mobile Hotspot

Mobile Broadband Connect

Use your Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone as a modem to get instant online access on your computer.

Mobile Hotspot

Using your 4G LTE Smartphone, share your data allowance with multiple Wi-Fi-enable devices. No additional drivers or software necessary.

Requires an unlimited data package / plan subscription of $29.99 or higher.

Additional Terms & Conditions apply.

Yeah I get the same thing *shrug* but I was told unlimited by the sales lady when I got the Bionic and by my friend when the data plan pricing changes went into effect.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
For the 2GB Hotspot plans, is the 2GB data allowance separate from the phone's 2GB data?

If not separate, I guess the Hotspot option is just that, add that feature but uses whatever Data Plan you have. If this is the case, all grandfathered lines for unlimited will probably show the $30 Hotspot option.

it's two additional GB of data (so a total of 4) to be used however you like. They don't differentiate.

DroidST

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I may call a CS and see how they word it.. if I can get this later I'll wait to add it as I don't need the tether option yet but will need in in a couple months when we start traveling.

If it's a mistake, I will need to pony up now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech