1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Light leak

Anyone see a light leak at the very bottom edge of the screen. Under the capacitive buttons.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

Default Re: Light leak

I've not seen any light leaks on mine, and believe me, I checked lol Maybe it's just a physical flaw on your phone?
    There are no personal problems which cannot be solved through suitable application of high explosives.

I had a light leak by the capacitive buttons on my Thunderbolt that annoyed me and was pretty common with the Thunderbolt and some other HTC devices but have seen no light leaks on the Bionic.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Don't think its enough to get an exchange. My vzw store wont exchange unless its dead basically. They come up with excuses and reasons why the problem is your fault

Global Posts
    247 Global Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 2, Mango

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyshinta View Post
    Don't think its enough to get an exchange. My vzw store wont exchange unless its dead basically. They come up with excuses and reasons why the problem is your fault

Ive got the light leak like you dude...its annoying but not enough for an exchange like you said yourself

The droid 3 does the same thing. My wifes D3 does it and my Bionic does it but it doesn't bother me. Just happy to be rid of that stupid storm 2. I also haven't had any of the issues some people are having so Im guessing I got a good one (gotta remember the first batches of phones don't always come to us bug free).
    I'd bet Cory's Right Arm on that!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazen View Post
    The droid 3 does the same thing. My wifes D3 does it and my Bionic does it but it doesn't bother me. Just happy to be rid of that stupid storm 2. I also haven't had any of the issues some people are having so Im guessing I got a good one (gotta remember the first batches of phones don't always come to us bug free).
    I feel ya. Just afraid of getting dust under the screen.

I feel ya. Just afraid of getting dust under the screen.

Naw, should be just fine. Not to mention I case and screen protect so even if there was a gap I have some form of defense but I don't see it a problem.
    I'd bet Cory's Right Arm on that!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazen View Post
    Naw, should be just fine. Not to mention I case and screen protect so even if there was a gap I have some form of defense but I don't see it a problem.
    I hate cases. Going au naturale. But hopefully you're right and its just an annoyance

Anyone see a light leak at the very bottom edge of the screen. Under the capacitive buttons.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapa
    talk
    Yes I have light coming out at the bottom of the screen below the buttons in the gap between the glass and plastic. I can only see it in a dark room.

ROM
    Stock

Thin coat of black RTV and a good wipe down should fix your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DefectiveWeeble View Post
    I've not seen any light leaks on mine, and believe me, I checked lol Maybe it's just a physical flaw on your phone?
    I second that! Ireally looked and I can't find any light leaking at all.
    Cory

Two bionics in the house--neither has light leaks. Nor are the cameras slow to focus in dim light... Nor is the screen "horrible" due to the Pentile display, which we like for the great readability in bright sunlight. I could go on...
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

Are you sure it's a light leak? On my Bionic, it looks more like a dock - lighter gray on the lower edge fading to black at the top part, behind the four stationary icons. Note there are shadows under those icons, part of the overall design.
    Always learning ...

I had this very issue with mine when I bought it. My wife's Bionic was perfect so I knew mine had an issue. Took mine back the next day and exchanged it with no problem.

Mine does but I like it that way honestly. It is under each of the buttons and gives it a high class effect. Like it's being projected lmao.

Just to let everyone know, I went to Best Buy today to exchange my Bionic because of the said light leaks. I had them open 4 different brand new Bionics and start them up (actually I went to two different stores that each had 2 in stock).

Every single one of them had these light leaks, some more noticeable than the others, and in different areas. But the thing is, you really have to be looking for it to notice it on some of them. And it's harder to notice in a well lit area. It may look perfect at first until you take it into a dark room. I eventually settled for one that had the smallest amount of light leaks. But once again, you wouldn't notice it unless you were really trying to find it. So yes, out of the 5 devices I've seen so far (including the demo unit at Verizon), they all had it.

And here's a repost of a picture of the bionic I returned with what I considered to have one of the more severe cases of light leak.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyEP3 View Post
    Just to let everyone know, I went to Best Buy today to exchange my Bionic because of the said light leaks. I had them open 4 different brand new Bionics and start them up (actually I went to two different stores that each had 2 in stock).

Every single one of them had these light leaks, some more noticeable than the others, and in different areas. But the thing is, you really have to be looking for it to notice it on some of them. And it's harder to notice in a well lit area. It may look perfect at first until you take it into a dark room. I eventually settled for one that had the smallest amount of light leaks. But once again, you wouldn't notice it unless you were really trying to find it. So yes, out of the 5 devices I've seen so far (including the demo unit at Verizon), they all had it.

And here's a repost of a picture of the bionic I returned with what I considered to have one of the more severe cases of light leak.

Click to view quoted image
    This leak I see on mine (although it's smaller), but since I don't use the phone at that angle, I will never see it and never would have if you hadn't pointed it out...do people really let a little thing llike this bother them? Man, I have more important things to worry about than a slight light leak I will never see while operating my phone in a normal manner.
    Cory

Click to view quoted image

Best Buy must hate you! LOL! Why are u looking at such an extreme angle?
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

The OP mentioned a light leak above the capitative buttons at the bottom of the screen. The photo above shows a light leak at the upper corner of the screen by the notification bar. Different issues?
    Always learning ...

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812dave View Post
    Best Buy must hate you! LOL! Why are u looking at such an extreme angle?
    I play games that make me turn the device to such extreme angles lol. Everybody has their reasons. Just like audiophiles cannot stand the screeching sounds from the headphones while it doesn't really bother me once the music starts playing. Or how some people hate our pentile screens while others prefer it. I have a home theater in my house and everything is measured to precision where the projector image hits the edges of the screen. So any little light that bleeds off the edge will just naturally bother me. And I guess that mentality transfers over to mobile devices for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arelunde View Post
    The OP mentioned a light leak above the capitative buttons at the bottom of the screen. The photo above shows a light leak at the upper corner of the screen by the notification bar. Different issues?
    It's the same sort of thing almost, except at a different part of the screen.

I play games that make me turn the device to such extreme angles lol. Everybody has their reasons. Just like audiophiles cannot stand the screeching sounds from the headphones while it doesn't really bother me once the music starts playing. Or how some people hate our pentile screens while others prefer it. I have a home theater in my house and everything is measured to precision where the projector image hits the edges of the screen. So any little light that bleeds off the edge will just naturally bother me. And I guess that mentality transfers over to mobile devices for me.

It's the same sort of thing almost, except at a different part of the screen.
    ah. Other than Angry Birds, all my gaming is done on my PS3. I'm a big COD guy.