Two different software versions on Droid Bionic?

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I noticed in the two different Verizon stores that their Bionics were running 5.9.991 when mine is running 5.5.886. I tried to do an update and mine says up to date. Is it possible some devices aren't running the latest software or that an update is right around the corner? I did notice that the color temperature of the screen was a bit different then the Bionic I have so maybe they will actually address the terrible color issues with the Bionic as I actually think that even the Droid X2 has better color reproduction then the Bionic does.

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
if I had to guess, it's because the verizon display phones come preloaded with the "demo" software (the one that shows all the new features of the phone), whereas the ones we have don't have that software installed.

the actual firmware is 2.3.4, which is the newest version of gingerbread android OS

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I noticed in the two different Verizon stores that their Bionics were running 5.9.991 when mine is running 5.5.886. I tried to do an update and mine says up to date. Is it possible some devices aren't running the latest software or that an update is right around the corner? I did notice that the color temperature of the screen was a bit different then the Bionic I have so maybe they will actually address the terrible color issues with the Bionic as I actually think that even the Droid X2 has better color reproduction then the Bionic does.

What kind of different? I've noticed the same thing, especially when compared to the X2.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-bionic/117888-screen-temperature.html

The Bionic's screen is VERY warm, borderline yellow-whites. Was the retail unit cooler?

EDIT: So it seems this may be a carryover Gingerbread issue that Moto didn't (or couldn't) address. http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google Mobile/thread?tid=4a47e3ae5f5a87fd&hl=en

mylasthope

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Fwiw, spoke with cs today about getting a new bionic. She said an ota will push shortly.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Fwiw, spoke with cs today about getting a new bionic. She said an ota will push shortly.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

If it fixes the color temperature of the screen the Bionic will be my perfect phone. That's about the only niggling thing I have with it right now.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I actually prefer the screen on the X2 personally. While the pentile may be a bit worse at least the color temperature makes the whites crisper and the colors better. What the Bionic does to yellows and oranges is beyond awful. Hopefully this can be resolved in an update much like Samsung did when the Nexus S first came out.

Floridaman

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
OP-Good catch. The software version explains why my Bionic has a yellow tint when looking at a white screen. I compared my Bionic to a Bionic in VZW and theirs had much better whites. You could clearly see the difference. I am actually on my third Bionic now and each one of them exhibited the same color issue. This is borderline false advertising IMO and Verizon needs to correct this with an update before someone pursues this further.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1