I really wanted to like this phone

MarkyD311

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I get a new phone every few months. I pay full retail, then sell it when I get something new. In recent history, here are the phones I've had (in order.)

-OG Droid (on launch day)
-Droid X
-Droid 2
-Thunderbolt
-Charge
-Revolution
-iPhone 4 (still have this; am holding until I decide whether or not I'll keep the Bionic.)
-Bionic.

As long as this phone was delayed, I am really disappointed in Motorola and Verizon. I'm a huge VZW fanboy, but they have really dropped the ball. At $600 off-contract, I expect a spectacular phone. This is probably the worst phone overall that I've had in the last 2 years. Here is what I'm experiencing.

-The screen turns off when I put the phone to my face for a call (good.) It does not turn back on when I remove the phone from my face. I have to hit power, then unlock it to control the call (or input dial tones.) This is not a setting issue; everything is as it should be.

-When the battery life gets down to the "yellow" zone, the mobile radios stop working. I can only use WiFi. I'm in an area with perfect LTE/EVDO coverage. If I cycle airplane mode, it works for a minute or so, then goes back to no data (no 3G/4G icon. Just voice signal bars.)

-The battery life is worse than the Thunderbolt. I never thought I could say this about any phone, but after 4 full cycles, it's no better. It drains SO FAST. I did get an extended battery, which fixes that problem. However, I shouldn't have to make this phone even fatter just to get it to last as long as my iPhone.

-Occasionally, I'll take the phone out of my pocket and it's just off. Power button won't awaken it. I have to pull the battery and power it back up. This has happened 4 times since Thursday.

-Audio from the 3.5mm jack hisses like crazy.

-The screen is horrifically bad. I can't even begin to describe my disdain for the banding and the chain-link effect I experience. Blacks are washed out, greens just don't look right.

-The camera is HORRIBLE. One of the worst I've used. Shutter lags like crazy, and if it's anything but super bright daylight...forget it.

In short, the list of negatives is far longer than the list of positives. I really prefer Android to iOS, but I'm thinking I may have to go back to the iPhone until a better option comes out. How disappointing. I've been on pins and needles waiting for this phone.

Blaksmyth

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Well it sounds like you haven't even given the phone a chance. You didn't even change the settings to stop the radios and everything from cutting off (to save battery life). That has been in the options of alot of phones now a days.

My screen cuts on even during a call when I pull it away from my face, maybe you got a slightly bugged one, but once again you don't sound like you even wanted the phone in the first place IMHO. Enjoy your Iphone (no disrespect/ fanboyism) but you sound like you bought the phone over the hype and just got it to give it a bad review. I personally love the phone coming from a glitchy droid X. This battery life is way better then the thunderbolt, if your not in a 4g area cut off the LTE radio.

MarkyD311

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Well it sounds like you haven't even given the phone a chance. You didn't even change the settings to stop the radios and everything from cutting off (to save battery life). That has been in the options of alot of phones now a days.

My screen cuts on even during a call when I pull it away from my face, maybe you got a slightly bugged one, but once again you don't sound like you even wanted the phone in the first place IMHO. Enjoy your Iphone (no disrespect/ fanboyism) but you sound like you bought the phone over the hype and just got it to give it a bad review. I personally love the phone coming from a glitchy droid X. This battery life is way better then the thunderbolt, if your not in a 4g area cut off the LTE radio.

I should have mentioned, it's on performance mode and set to never cut radios. How does it sound like I didn't even want the phone? And who the hell has the money to buy a phone just to give it a bad review? You're coming off like a serious fanboy. I have been lusting after this phone since the CES announcement. How the hell didn't they get it right with all this extra time?

You say the battery is better than the Thunderbolt. Do you have one? If not, you don't know. It's not any better. Not even close. And as I mentioned in my original post, I am in a perfect 4G/3G reception area. I'm not turning off LTE just to be able to use my phone for a normal amount of time.

As you can see from my list of phones, I am an Android guy primarily. I LOVE Android phones. I am supremely disappointed in this phone. It's pretty bad when my OG Droid, released two years ago, is more reliable.

moondrius

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
My only complaint about the Bionic is the camera. I might return it and go back to the Charge until something else comes out just because of that. I don't expect the camera to be amazing but for a phone as powerful as this it should not take 8 seconds to take a picture. The battery on the Bionic is not great but it is better then the Thunderbolt.

Blaksmyth

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I should have mentioned, it's on performance mode and set to never cut radios. How does it sound like I didn't even want the phone? And who the hell has the money to buy a phone just to give it a bad review? You're coming off like a serious fanboy. I have been lusting after this phone since the CES announcement. How the hell didn't they get it right with all this extra time?

You say the battery is better than the Thunderbolt. Do you have one? If not, you don't know. It's not any better. Not even close. And as I mentioned in my original post, I am in a perfect 4G/3G reception area. I'm not turning off LTE just to be able to use my phone for a normal amount of time.

As you can see from my list of phones, I am an Android guy primarily. I LOVE Android phones. I am supremely disappointed in this phone. It's pretty bad when my OG Droid, released two years ago, is more reliable.
Lol okay I have owned a thunderbolt and returned it because of the battery,I don't feel the need to give a detailed review of all the phones I have ever had. I'm not being a fan boy as you suggest but you are entitled to your own opinion.

From all the problems you are listing it really does seems like you got a phone that has alot of bugs, mine and other peoples' are running flawlessly, it seems like motorola's quality control department is not up to par. I would say if your not completely through with the phone try and exchange it and try another handset, if not enjoy your IPhone 4.

Last edited:

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
maybe i missed something, but what was the point in this thread? there are tons of other ones where people are discussing the various shortcomings of the phone. hell, there's an entire thread called "what do you not like about the Bionic".

Reactions: tdizzel

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
There's absolutely no reason for this thread. I really wish people would actually look at what other threads are available, and what has been posted before starting a redundant thread.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes....one could get a phone thats just a bad phone. There is also a possibility of bad batches.

Sometimes...it could just need a maintenance update. I've seen this since I've been a part of Android land last year. Droid X1 had a browser issue when it came out that was fixed with its first software update.

Sometimes...one could have a bad battery.

Sometimes...there are times that the battery just isnt optimal until a few charging cycles.

Sometimes....its a good idea to get at least 1 exchange of phone or battery, or see if there is a maintenance update coming soon before declaring the phone a disaster.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I think your phone may be a little defective. Before you give up on it, I would suggest getting it replaced first and see how it fares.

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I just replaced my Thunderbolt with the Bionic and in general, I am much happier. Battery life for me has been comparable or maybe a bit better. Where my TB was constantly losing data and bluetooth signals, this one has been rock solid so far. Yes, the screen is not quite as good, but at least I can see it in sunlight, which I couldn't on the TB. It is snappier than my TB was. The speakerphone is acting better and I can actually hear the prompts on my bluetooth speaker without having to adjust the volume EVERY time I want to make a call! The GPS has actually been working better too.

The things I miss on the TB were not as important to me as what I have mentioned and frankly, I don't use the phone camera much, so it isn't an issue for me. I prefer to use my DSLR for my photos.

Can't speak for the OP experience, but so far mine has been mostly positive.

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Horrible screen??? Are you serious. I have the Droid X and this screen beats it hands down. My battery has lasted from about 9am till about midnight (1am) the first 2 days I have owned the phone, and that was with VERY heavy usage of me downloading stuff, customizing, yapping on the phone with friends, etc.

I had the thunderbolt for less than 2 weeks and on STANDBY I couldn't get it to make it through the day!

I think you got a lemon. Recommend returning it. I think your observations and comments cannot be generalized to most Bionic users.

Katherine

Reactions: KillerG

wpwoodjr

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I get a new phone every few months. I pay full retail, then sell it when I get something new. In recent history, here are the phones I've had (in order.)

-OG Droid (on launch day)
-Droid X
-Droid 2
-Thunderbolt
-Charge
-Revolution
-iPhone 4 (still have this; am holding until I decide whether or not I'll keep the Bionic.)
-Bionic.

As long as this phone was delayed, I am really disappointed in Motorola and Verizon. I'm a huge VZW fanboy, but they have really dropped the ball. At $600 off-contract, I expect a spectacular phone. This is probably the worst phone overall that I've had in the last 2 years. Here is what I'm experiencing.

-The screen turns off when I put the phone to my face for a call (good.) It does not turn back on when I remove the phone from my face. I have to hit power, then unlock it to control the call (or input dial tones.) This is not a setting issue; everything is as it should be.

-When the battery life gets down to the "yellow" zone, the mobile radios stop working. I can only use WiFi. I'm in an area with perfect LTE/EVDO coverage. If I cycle airplane mode, it works for a minute or so, then goes back to no data (no 3G/4G icon. Just voice signal bars.)

-The battery life is worse than the Thunderbolt. I never thought I could say this about any phone, but after 4 full cycles, it's no better. It drains SO FAST. I did get an extended battery, which fixes that problem. However, I shouldn't have to make this phone even fatter just to get it to last as long as my iPhone.

-Occasionally, I'll take the phone out of my pocket and it's just off. Power button won't awaken it. I have to pull the battery and power it back up. This has happened 4 times since Thursday.

-Audio from the 3.5mm jack hisses like crazy.

-The screen is horrifically bad. I can't even begin to describe my disdain for the banding and the chain-link effect I experience. Blacks are washed out, greens just don't look right.

-The camera is HORRIBLE. One of the worst I've used. Shutter lags like crazy, and if it's anything but super bright daylight...forget it.

In short, the list of negatives is far longer than the list of positives. I really prefer Android to iOS, but I'm thinking I may have to go back to the iPhone until a better option comes out. How disappointing. I've been on pins and needles waiting for this phone.

You must have a different phone than I do - did you get the Droid Bionic?

The camera is the best phone camera I've ever owned - see the Bionic pictures thread (sticky).

The screen is hi-res and has some banding but it's bright and I honestly have no clue why people don't like the greens. They are more vibrant than on my Droid X.

The battery life isn't quite as good as the DX perhaps (still evaluating this) - but try turning off 4G if you want more battery life.

I haven't experienced any of the issue you mentioned. Maybe you have a bad unit?

wpwoodjr

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
My only complaint about the Bionic is the camera. I might return it and go back to the Charge until something else comes out just because of that. I don't expect the camera to be amazing but for a phone as powerful as this it should not take 8 seconds to take a picture. The battery on the Bionic is not great but it is better then the Thunderbolt.

Eight seconds?

I just timed it and from the time I pressed the camera icon to taking a shot was 6 secs. If the camera app was open already it takes 2 secs.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you should take the phone to the shop, and either they will figure out what obscure settings are wrong for you, or else they will recognize that it's got some hardware glitch and trade it for a new phone. Good luck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes