Quick question regarding the closing of an app

CobbFC09

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Does simply pressing back close them? This is my first phone in 5 years and I love it so far. I'm just worried that pressing back on certain apps or going to the home screen doesn't fully close them.

dhp106

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I do believe that some Apps will background when you press the home button. Most close with back button

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

anon(49997)

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Its very mixed. Why some developers chose not to add a Stop, Cancel or End feature on most of them seems lazy to me.

I always go to Settings/Applications/ Manage applications/Running to have a look see the first time I run & close an app so I will know in the future.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
You know what drives me nuts is music apps. Most if not all have no way to stop them without jumping through hoops. What's up with that?!?!

I was just testing some things with the Google music beta app and to stop the app you have to go into task manager or running apps and hit end/stop. Home OR back button does not stop that app and I don't want to leave it paused and running in the background.

Can no music app have an end or stop button? Seriously!!!

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Android was meant to run with apps running in the background. Most apps you won't have to worry about closing, Android will close them when needed.

As far as the music apps go you wouldn't want it to close when you hit home or the back button. That way you can do other things with the phone while listening to music.

If your really concerned about apps then I would download system panel and use that to close apps.

https://market.android.com/details?id=nextapp.systempanel&feature=search_result

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
That is fine and I agree with that but no app has an option to stop when you want, that I dislike.

jimdibb

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
That is fine and I agree with that but no app has an option to stop when you want, that I dislike.

You say you agree, but you still dislike. It's just a change of expectation. Hit the pause button, hit the home key and forget you ever started it. It's at least 2 button presses in any case unless the quit button is on the main page.

Pandora does have a quit button, so does navigation.

I gave up task killers a long time ago. If you're done with something, just start doing something else and let the OS do what it does.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
As far as the like/dislike thing. I like to be able to hit home or back and do something else but dislike that it doesn't have a quit option. Hope that explains it better.

So the os will shut down the paused app? If so i did not know that.

I know Pandora has the quit option, I like that. I just wish the music app had it. Maybe it is just my ocd kicking in knowing I didn't shut it down myself.

APeX3181

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, if you hit the Home or Back button after using apps such as Music for example, as long as it doesn't require an automatic update at a certain interval or use any system resource such as GPS location, it just sits in the background and doesn't use any resources until the OS deems it necessary to kill the process.

Using Music for example, if you pause the music that's playing and hit home, the process just sits in the background not doing anything. After using PC's for many years, I did have to get used to not having to necessarily close an app after use...but I did get used to it after a while.

Using apps such as Navigation or other ones that require a data connection or GPS services I make sure are closed out fully or they usually have a disconnect or exit option.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
OK that is understandable but music beta does use an internet connection as I am streaming my music stored in the cloud. Might that hold the connection if paused?
Thanks for the input

jimdibb

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
OK that is understandable but music beta does use an internet connection as I am streaming my music stored in the cloud. Might that hold the connection if paused?
Thanks for the input

If it's paused it would make sense that it wasn't pulling any more data down. It doesn't need it. There might be an edge case where it buffers to the end of the song -- but that's pretty miniscule and it probably buffers most of the song in the first few seconds of it anyway.

Maybe it would keep the connection open for a bit, but that's an implementation issue that should be inconsequential as it wouldn't actually use data.

The other poster was right about it being a different way of thinking from the PC. There was a great thread about task killers that explains why you don't need them.
Task killer apps " THE TRUTH" - Android Forums

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Ya I have never used a task killer until I got the charge and even then I only used it to stop an app like music beta and that was because it was included from Samsung as well as the one for the bionic. Otherwise I went into apps and manually stopped it.

Again this is just an ocd thing with me, very few things bother me in life, this is just one of them I guess lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692