Apps Moved to SD Card disappear

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
stop moving apps off the phone. this phone has dedicated memory for apps and apps only. it would take over 500 apps to eat up the app memory. the app memory will not affect other memory functions since no resources are taken from it. this a new breed phones and is way better then using sd card.the same thing happened on the X. every one tried to move apps to sd card which you could but it affects apps.
I have the same problem on two separate Bionics as well.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
stop moving apps off the phone. this phone has dedicated memory for apps and apps only. it would take over 500 apps to eat up the app memory. the app memory will not affect other memory functions since no resources are taken from it. this a new breed phones and is way better then using sd card.the same thing happened on the X. every one tried to move apps to sd card which you could but it affects apps.

I remember a time when people thought 400 megabyte hard drives were huge and wouldn't be filled.

I never had problems on my X, when I stored apps to sd card. We are able to do it on other droid phones we should on this one too. If I wanted to be limited to a phones internal memory, I would buy an iPhone.

gathome

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree with PaulDroidR2D2! Thanks to this forum, I learned why my apps were disappearing after powering off my phone, therefore, I no longer move apps to sd card but this morning, about 10 apps that were NOT on the sd card are sitting on my phone "loading" and draining my battery at record speed and other have disappeared completely! The "loading" apps do not appear in my app list, I can't uninstall them, can't even be sure what they are! I am NOT happy and I'm considering returning this phone. Any insight on this new found issue/BUG would be greatly appreciated as the Verizon tech I spoke with was not even aware of the sd card problem. I've spend probably 30 hours in the past four days trying to get this phone to run properly and keep the apps I use and I'm about to give up and return it! AND I'm getting crap from the iPhone users around me saying, "Buy a REAL phone!" UGH!!! Thanks, much!

gathome

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
And what's this talk about restoring the phone to bring back apps? Does the person who said this mean doing a complete factory reset? Wouldn't this mean having to completely set up the phone again? I seriously can't spend another 3 hours doing that! Help, please??!!

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
And what's this talk about restoring the phone to bring back apps? Does the person who said this mean doing a complete factory reset? Wouldn't this mean having to completely set up the phone again? I seriously can't spend another 3 hours doing that! Help, please??!!

I haven't any problems with the apps installed and stored on my phone disappearing, so I can't help on that one. :(

gathome

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Seriously, seriously considering returning this phone. Can't waste my upgrade on a phone that keeps messing with my apps. :'(

SonicJoe

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree with PaulDroidR2D2! Thanks to this forum, I learned why my apps were disappearing after powering off my phone, therefore, I no longer move apps to sd card but this morning, about 10 apps that were NOT on the sd card are sitting on my phone "loading" and draining my battery at record speed and other have disappeared completely! The "loading" apps do not appear in my app list, I can't uninstall them, can't even be sure what they are! I am NOT happy and I'm considering returning this phone. Any insight on this new found issue/BUG would be greatly appreciated as the Verizon tech I spoke with was not even aware of the sd card problem. I've spend probably 30 hours in the past four days trying to get this phone to run properly and keep the apps I use and I'm about to give up and return it! AND I'm getting crap from the iPhone users around me saying, "Buy a REAL phone!" UGH!!! Thanks, much!

I see you posted this in several threads, so why don't we break this down since your post sounds really confusing.

If you don't know what the 10 apps are, than how do you know they are draining your battery? Do they show in the battery usage app? If so, what are their names? No one can help you with the little information you have provided.

Secondly, you mention other apps have disappeared that were not installed on th sd card. Care to elaborate on what the names of those apps are?

Third, are you rooted? If you are, have you installed any utilities for root users?

Your issues sound unique to you. I have a bionic and follow several android message boards, and you are the only person I've heard describing anything like this. It leads me to believe its something you did, or something you've installed, that's causing your issues.

WallaceD

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Just got the Bionic yesterday, and I love it.

I experienced the "vanishing" apps problem, but there's an easy fix.

We already know to not manually move apps to the SD card. Well, the other factor is apps doing this without user intervention.

Here's the fix: simply review apps in the "Manage applications" setting after install. I have found that some apps (seemingly at random) will install all or part of their data to the SD card. These apps are the ones that will vanish. Simply move the app back to the phone after install, and there should be no more problems.

I've tested this on several Market and Amazon Appstore apps, and they all seem to work fine now.

Hope this helps.

potermac

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Is it just certain apps that have problems getting moved? I still have 9 apps that I moved to media and am not having any problems with those apps disappearing.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I have never used apps to SD. Never needed that much storage on Motors. I think some time and root will yield apps to SD (pointless.)

Bignick69

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I see you posted this in several threads, so why don't we break this down since your post sounds really confusing.

If you don't know what the 10 apps are, than how do you know they are draining your battery? Do they show in the battery usage app? If so, what are their names? No one can help you with the little information you have provided.

Secondly, you mention other apps have disappeared that were not installed on th sd card. Care to elaborate on what the names of those apps are?

Third, are you rooted? If you are, have you installed any utilities for root users?

Your issues sound unique to you. I have a bionic and follow several android message boards, and you are the only person I've heard describing anything like this. It leads me to believe its something you did, or something you've installed, that's causing your issues.

No, it's nothing he did. There is a known issue regarding this with the Bionic. I don't see what is so confusing about what he asked. If you take an app such as Talking Tom Cat or Color Note and use the app Save to SD to save it to your sd card, mysteriously they disappear. When you go into "settings" "applications" "manage applications" and look for them on the SD card, it looks as if they are there, but when you click on each one to move back to phone, it says the file is not found.

Geezer Squid

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
No, it's nothing he did. There is a known issue regarding this with the Bionic. I don't see what is so confusing about what he asked. If you take an app such as Talking Tom Cat or Color Note and use the app Save to SD to save it to your sd card, mysteriously they disappear. When you go into "settings" "applications" "manage applications" and look for them on the SD card, it looks as if they are there, but when you click on each one to move back to phone, it says the file is not found.

Question: When you move apps to your sdcard, then reboot, do all the apps on the sdcard dissapper? Do some of them remain? If yes, it is possible the apps that are disappearing are at fault and need to be updated to work with this new OS version. Just a thought.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Question: When you move apps to your sdcard, then reboot, do all the apps on the sdcard dissapper? Do some of them remain? If yes, it is possible the apps that are disappearing are at fault and need to be updated to work with this new OS version. Just a thought.

It is all apps that are stored to the sd card.

BBBay

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Again ok please stop moving apps to sd card. CORY please make a sticky explanation why there is no need. We have 4gb dedicated to apps. Also how many threads do we need on this?

Thanks I'm a noob and have to try everything I figure I'll eventually crash and burn then start over. I'm almost there. I got a message about not enuf room so I moved pretty much all of the 3rd party apps to the card. :) haven't checked yet but no worries it is all backed up with mybackup pro. I'm sure there are guidelines for amount of free memory to keep here and I will eventually find or start a new thread to keep everything neat and tidy.

androidfs

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
This advices is nonsense. We as consumers, go out and drop hard earned money some of the higher end "SMART" phones on the market (i.e. in my case the bionic) with hopes of performance in return. Then when problems like this arise, the advice is that it's not the manufactuer's problem, it's yours.

Riddle me this: What should the SD card be used for if we as consumers cannot put applications on the card for fear of losing our apps? Media content? Please.....we live in the 21st century. A time where solid state media is ubiquous and works just about everywhere. Quit making excuses for the phone and demand more from the people that sold you the phone.

I was having issues with android market. I read that unmounting the card, turning the phone off and restarting fixes the issues. Instead it made the problem worse. Iost many of my applications and time spent setting up the phone in the first place.

-pissed.

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
This advices is nonsense. We as consumers, go out and drop hard earned money some of the higher end "SMART" phones on the market (i.e. in my case the bionic) with hopes of performance in return. Then when problems like this arise, the advice is that it's not the manufactuer's problem, it's yours.

Riddle me this: What should the SD card be used for if we as consumers cannot put applications on the card for fear of losing our apps? Media content? Please.....we live in the 21st century. A time where solid state media is ubiquous and works just about everywhere. Quit making excuses for the phone and demand more from the people that sold you the phone.

I was having issues with android market. I read that unmounting the card, turning the phone off and restarting fixes the issues. Instead it made the problem worse. Iost many of my applications and time spent setting up the phone in the first place.

-pissed.
If you want something "solid state" then use your internet memory. The manufacturers did NOT make the SD cards nor can they guarantee that YOU the consumer will use it properly. Until there is a solid state REMOVABLE drive we are stuck with SD cards. Most new devices come with more than enuf disk space IMO.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995