contacts list

sixfootsideburns

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure this is a very simple answer, but I don't have a ton of experience with Android yet (the Bionic is my first purchased Android phone)...

When I first set up my Bionic, I synced my contact list to my g-mail account. Now, some of my contacts have multiple Google entries and I don't know how to get rid of them. Its not like its a big deal, but the fact that I can't figure it out is driving me bat-****-crazy here!

I've manually consolidated all said contacts to just 1 entry (aka multiple phone numbers/e-mails in just 1 entry) but it wont get rid of the other entries.

Any ideas? I'm about to go "ASNq q usng84 58907rh nzy w45unzjdfgb#^3 B" and so on and so forth :p

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Press and hold on the contacts that were duplicated and then select delete. that's it! :)

sent from my Droid X, which also eats iPhones.

tdeanhoward

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Or you can open the contact then hit menu and select edit. Then hit menu again and in the bottom right you will see join. Then you can join the two contacts together.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

sixfootsideburns

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
hmm, that's not quite what I meant I guess haha.

Here's an example... I have my brother in my contact list on my gmail account.there it lists his email and his phone number. When I imported my contacts from gmail during the initial setup, it put my brother in as his name (we'll just call him Brother). So now, I have Brother as a contact, and if I click on that contact, go to edit contact, it has Brother for the namealong with his phone number. And then, inside the same contact but under a new set up entry detail, it has his name listed again along with his email... So, to clean things up I put his email and number under the same entry, but now I still have the other entry that's just blank...

Anyone know how to get rid of that blank entry now that I have consolidated it?

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
You might be getting contacts from different sources, for example, Google Contact, Facebook Contact, etc. Is that what you're talking about?

Is it possible to take a screen cap?

I heavily edit my contacts in gmail's contacts.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Well the Join contacts option mentioned above works fine for me, it gets rid of multiple entries and puts all the info in one entry, however I hate that you have to do it individually. I wish there was an easy way to just get the facebook info out of there completely or consolidate everything in a few quick steps. I'm not going individually through 500+ contacts doing the Join option, lol.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
You could also change the settings in your contact list to only show contacts with phone numbers. Open Contacts, Menu -> Display options and then Check "Only contacts with phones" and click Save.

Wow... can't believe how noob I am for never seeing this before... Thank you so much this literally just fixed everything I HATED about my contacts list. Awesome :D

sixfootsideburns

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well the Join contacts option mentioned above works fine for me, it gets rid of multiple entries and puts all the info in one entry, however I hate that you have to do it individually. I wish there was an easy way to just get the facebook info out of there completely or consolidate everything in a few quick steps. I'm not going individually through 500+ contacts doing the Join option, lol.

I think my issue is getting lost in the translation. Its not that his name appears multiple times in my contacts... its that WITHIN his contact information, there are multiple entries.

So like this...
----------------------- B
Brother
Bob
Brandon
-----------------------C
Charlie
Claire
-----------------------D

etc etc....

now, when I click on Brother, and go to Edit contact I get this....

Google contact (from blah blah)

--Brother
(last name)

Phone
(Home) xxx-xxx-xxxx
Email
(Home) xxxxx@gmail.com
Postal address
Organization
(down arrow)More

---------------------------------------------------------------- (New entry, but still within Brother's contact)
Google contact (from blah blah)

(First name)
(Last name)

etc etc all the way down through, but all these details are empty and I can't get them to go away... and there are TWO of these entire blank contact info entry forms...

I am only importing contact info from gmail and from my phone.

This would be fine if there were multiple contacts for Brother, but its only 1 contact... just multiple entries INSIDE the contact (see above). So when I try to join it with another, it doesn't bring up another "Brother"

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Huh.. I see what you're saying but I haven't seen that before, sorry. Hopefully someone else with more experience can help with that issue!

sixfootsideburns

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm going crazy... Its a really simple thing, not a big deal at all right? Yeah of course right! But its driving me nuts not being able to fix it!!! ROOOAAARRRR!!!! lol

bighaubs

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
If you log into gmail and look at your contacts, do you have 2 entries for Brother? You can merge contacts within gmail as well. I'm wondering if this is what's happening.

bighaubs

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
If you log into gmail and look at your contacts, do you have 2 entries for Brother? You can merge contacts within gmail as well. I'm wondering if this is what's happening.

Talking about gmail on the web. I always try to fix my contact issues within (web) gmail instead of trying to fix them on my phone. It always seems to work out better for me.

sixfootsideburns

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Talking about gmail on the web. I always try to fix my contact issues within (web) gmail instead of trying to fix them on my phone. It always seems to work out better for me.

Ahhhh yes, I forgot to mention this part... Here's the best part about it! When I first setup the phone, it automatically imported Brother into my contacts because he is in my gmail contacts. But now, since I've edited some things to try to get those extra entries to go away, Brother is no longer in my gmail contacts at all.

dubbs...tee...eff... I swear I'm not an e-tard... promise! lol

bighaubs

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Ahhhh yes, I forgot to mention this part... Here's the best part about it! When I first setup the phone, it automatically imported Brother into my contacts because he is in my gmail contacts. But now, since I've edited some things to try to get those extra entries to go away, Brother is no longer in my gmail contacts at all.

dubbs...tee...eff... I swear I'm not an e-tard... promise! lol
You have quite the situation here. My suggestion is to try to fix all of your contacts issues within gmail on the web. Once you have it all set up on the web, go into your phone account settings for your google account and check/uncheck your contacts so it re-syncs.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
You have quite the situation here. My suggestion is to try to fix all of your contacts issues within gmail on the web. Once you have it all set up on the web, go into your phone account settings for your google account and check/uncheck your contacts so it re-syncs.

This.

It sounds like there's issues with syncing going on. If you edit on the web gmail it update on your phone and vice versa. Get everything clean at once and then put it all to your phone.

sixfootsideburns

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
This.

It sounds like there's issues with syncing going on. If you edit on the web gmail it update on your phone and vice versa. Get everything clean at once and then put it all to your phone.

Yup... I've decided I'm going to do some serious spring cleaning in the next few weeks. Its going to be a long haul digging through some 500 contacts though haha. I'm sure that's nothing compared to some people, but its still a fair amount of work damn it!

Thanks anyways for the help guys! And also, if anyone actually knows a solution to this besides deleting and re-syncing your contact please post it, because I'm sure I'm not the only poor sap who will run into this issue

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power